Concealing a hair transplant until it grows?

Hey guys, can anyone give me some insight and gauge the effectiveness of using nanogen or toppik to conceal a hair transplant during the so-called ugly duckling phase?

I'm going in for a crown transplant and nanogen has been very effective for me in the past even when the crown was quite thin. Looked like a totally different head. Anyway, even if there's additional thinning due to temporary shockloss, I'm hoping that I can use nanogen for a few months so that no one will be any the wiser until the transplants start growing in.

Anyone else use nanogen during the ugly duckling period effectively?

(Although the enclosed picture isn't what my hair currently looks like, I anticipate it will look something like this after I stop using minoxidil in preparation for the procedure.)

2.JPG.c1a4d7c45427d17a97c6daed4a576661.JPG

Your situation sounds like dreamland as far as concealment goes, assuming it is a complete no-shave transplant.

I'm no expert but I would have thought shockloss of native hair may be a bit less likely in the crown assuming the target density is not too high. But then again, there are no guarantees in this game!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hey guys, can anyone give me some insight and gauge the effectiveness of using nanogen or toppik to conceal a hair transplant during the so-called ugly duckling phase? Anyone else use nanogen during the ugly duckling period effectively?

MrSteele I used Nanogen post-op, but if I remember correctly I did not use it during the first 2-3 months of the post-op ugly duckling phase. I was overly conservative and just did not want to use it early-on. So yes I used it post-op and yes it worked wonderfully to help me thru the majority of the ugly duckling phase....but those first 2-3 months when I refrained from using it the ugly duckling phase was in full force.

ps: how many grafts are you looking to get into your crown in your upcoming surgery?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Did your doctor recommend that you stop using minox before your procedure for an extended time period?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Did your doctor recommend that you stop using minox before your procedure for an extended time period?

At least 6 weeks, I believe, but it was suggested that I quit using it earlier if I can. I explained that my goal is to get off the minox and stay off after the surgery, so my plan is to stop early enough that any minox-dependent hair is shed, providing a clearer picture of how many grafts are needed, so to speak.

MrSteele I used Nanogen post-op, but if I remember correctly I did not use it during the first 2-3 months of the post-op ugly duckling phase. I was overly conservative and just did not want to use it early-on. So yes I used it post-op and yes it worked wonderfully to help me thru the majority of the ugly duckling phase....but those first 2-3 months when I refrained from using it the ugly duckling phase was in full force.

ps: how many grafts are you looking to get into your crown in your upcoming surgery?

The surgeon is anticipating around 2500, but I am going for as much density as practical, so I'd be in favor of transplanting more if needed/possible.

Shampoo, what part of the head did your procedure target?