I wanna scream and shout and let it all..

scar5

Many women have perfected their make-up and trust nobody else to do it.

But , Yep, self-SMP could be a recipe for disaster, that is for sure, if the doer cant control his or her urges to keep dotting when they should really, ideally do little patches here and there and wait and see the outcome, both short and long term. Of course, going to an SMP clinic such as some of the 'big ones' (and by the way, beware, some of these clinics are spinning off into other companies complete with the database from the original clinic , They too, could have the same terrible techniques and is adopted from the first company) could also be a recipe for disaster as we are now seeing. Next minute, I'll be promoting DIY laser removal? Holy double disaster!

How hard is it? To do fast?? Very hard is my guess. Very hard. To do profitably for your SMP company to pay you a wage? To do fast and good and economically, very hard would be my guess. 2 seconds in, 2 seconds out? That equates to 4 seconds a dot and going flat out without a pause, the best you could achieve is 14 dots a minute. That would be a financial disaster for an SMP operator. My SMP jobs have gone in at an my estimation, from 120-240 dots a minute. They are like a jack-hammer! I'm not saying they went well, either!! It certainly went well for the SMP operator.

If you were at home, you could afford to do 1 dot a minute and it wouldn't matter!!

Iif you stick to our limits, and work slowly, I think a husband and wife team, would have a fair chance of achieving a decent result, or at least as a decent result as these new overnight SMP techs working at these new overnight SMP shops. But I must reiterate, I dread to think of the disasters waiting to happen in the hands of reckless or even through honest toil.

I must add, my next SMP won't be self-delivered, but I'm willing to believe, before to long, we will see pics of self-administered SMP trials, and they might mot be too bad.

Edited by scar5
Last bit

Scar5.....

ill tell you this, ive contacted ALOT of places, to ask what size needles they use or where they buy their ink , none will respond or only with we use a special blend thats a secret, needles are unique to our salon or some bulshit

As wiseman say, " aha...you say nothing, but you tell me plenty!!" (Before getting shot lol)

George Orwell told the godfather of SMP that every word uttered by a practitioner must be preceded by the word 'special' unless there will be a "special death." In the family.

So,

Special Ink

Special instruments

Special techniques

Special 2-3 day course

at 'special price':)

It's not just the speed of the needle motion but the direction the needle enters and exits the skin. You must do this motion perfectly straight. If you don't it will be a line and not a dot.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

great points guys.....yes i agree it does take skill to perfect and get it right, same as a leg press machine or bench press...looks easy but so many small points that can double the effect are usually only known by the experts...hence the results are superior...

hairthere i agree it does take the feel and skill of an artist.....maybe some can pick it up quickly while others might poke their eyes out

Like Scar5 said, maybe a husband wife team with a lot of practice could get DECENT results on a limited scale....like a bit of scalp shading where there already is hair just to darken the contrast and to go as slow as you want is a great way to aviod mistakes...the whole bare head? wouldnt even attempt it..

even fixing a scar on the back

Taking a course, reading about all the techniques and lotsa practice before trying a safe area is a no brainer

Trapps, The technique of performing SMP can be taught to anyone. It's not rocket science. It just takes A LOT of practice to get it right and consistent. There is a fatigue factor involved which strains the hand and eyes. Then you also need a certain amount of cajones to actually put a needle into someone's skin repeatedly for 2-4 hours. This is not for the faint of heart. And then of course there is the artistry of designing a hairline/tps, achieving a faded look in the appropriate cases, etc.

Btw,, there was another person who took Milena's 4-day training course with me. She traveled from the states and was seemingly more qualified than I was to be doing SMP (beauty industry background). She decided after spending all that time and money that is was not for her. She had difficulty with the eye-hand coordination and was getting fatigued.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

hairthere

i think if you read my previous posts i DO state its not easy and takes practice

fatigue factor is with most jobs,,,,,the balls to tattoo someone is shared with every single tattoo artist in the world marking someone for life...

but balls is being a cop, fireman . miltary, ems,,,,,,,,not tattooing dots for 300 bucks an hour....lets not confuse which professions have the caljones

thats what you chose to do and charge people to do it..youre talking about business related issues..doing a job perfectly and its tiring...never disagreed

..personally i wouldnt want to tattoo heds all day, it would be very tiring

and sure everyone cant do it, but again, no brainer....some can play guitar and are self taught at age 9 , some guys with formal training and dont have an inch of talent....cant find the rythym or beat, or whatever....

anyways, to each his own

I meant it takes some nerve to get over piercing someone's skin with a needle at first. Once you get over that it's fine. I would never equate doing SMP with what firefighters/military/cops etc. do. That takes more than balls; it's takes an innate heroism and bravery. I have several friends who are FDNY. I would never insult them by comparing what I do to what they have to face.

I think it takes faith, perhaps blind faith too.

Here is Andrea Darby of Cosmetic Tattoos inc., or whatever it's called. She runs an SMP course in Australia and looks credentialed in the world of cosmetic tattooing (whatever that means) Anyway, she seems to appreciate the need for more education about SMP and offers a pretty thorough looking course for $8500 complete with 16 modules, hours of homework and quite a lot of practical experience.

Now we move to the poster Tommo on another very well known forum. He received SmP from her and it is a mottled blue disaster. I know we can't post links, but check it out, then check out her course.

Note too, that after doing the course you are not allowed to teach others about your new 'secrets' with SMP, nor I suspect, will you find her a fountain of information to the casual enquirer.

It just shows, with all her experience -and it looks like years of doing eyebrows, lips etc. , doing a course that costs as much as an HT itself could take you to a place where you end up creating poor Tommo lookalikes for a living. Tommo is cool and, who to his credit, doesn't blame her, more himself, for letting the responsibility to himself slide into the trust of the cosmetic tattoo industry.For the record, when Tommo complained to her, her retort was, we told you that could happen!!

Nice one! Good thing he seems well adjusted.

So if you go for SMP and ask questions, be prepared for as much BS as the HT reps tell you, maybe even more. SMP is really quasi-legal anyway, so your recourse to compensation maybe even less than for an HT.

Edited by scar5