I wanna scream and shout and let it all..

scar5

.. out.

** outside link removed; feel free to search "hair loss tattoo" on youtube **

So what do you think..

..about the bold look?

SMP is a sham!!! My God...is this the real world we live in. I am old. I am gone.

..and scar5, you are showing your age and your white-ass sensibility. This guy 1) looks better than he did before and 2) looks better than you, today, in 2013 in this world, but you just can't take the sharp lines. Too bad for you scar5.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"..and scar5, you are showing your age and your white-ass sensibility. This guy 1) looks better than he did before and 2) looks better than you, today, in 2013 in this world, but you just can't take the sharp lines. Too bad for you scar5."

Are you having a conversation with yourself?

SMP is not a sham. The execution, technique and ultimately how it is represented is up to the individual clinic that offers it and how they go about this may or may not qualify as being a sham but the technique itself is not a sham.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe - What is your opinion about using SMP for thickening of existing thin hair? Do you have any photos that you can share from some H&W cases where SMP was done for a thickening effect?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Brian, My problem with this example is that it looks too painted on. I believe the pigment may be too dark and the dots are either too large or the area is over saturated. If the client had some native hair on top then this technique might have worked better. I'm also not sure the design frames the client's face properly with his particular facial features, head shape, etc. Of course client input/preference could have guided the design. I will say that the client seems genuinely satisfied, though.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Joe - What is your opinion about using SMP for thickening of existing thin hair? Do you have any photos that you can share from some H&W cases where SMP was done for a thickening effect?

My opinion is that it is less effective cosmetically than the shaved head option. It works but it is a minor improvement compared to the shaved effect which is a major improvement. Each case is different and it depends on how much you get done.

I do have pics but I'm reserving any further SMP pics for our new website that will be launching in the next few weeks.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Wow...uh...yeah...I just watched a couple of those Jhon Jhon videos and man is that some subpar SMP. They seem to work primarily on african-american clients, and I understand ethnic hairlines tend to be straighter and squared off with the sides shaped up...but seriously Magnum is right, most of their results look like Sharpie to the dome. There's no density transition into the hairline and temples, way too over saturated, abrupt, and the imitation follicle size seems way too large, ethnic or not. I've seen some impressive SMP results, now I've seen the opposite end.

They even spelled John wrong!! :)

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The even spelled John wrong!! :)

Nominated for HTN best quotes awards 2013.

Yep, I am also shocked at this. But I have been told many times, by SMP clinics and their representatives and by representatives of hair transplant clinics that have annexed an SMP service as an adjunct or semi-affiliated company, that the client, 'Wanted it that way' . That they like like 'hip-hop' . What a coincidence that the limitations of SMP rhyme with the power of rap.!

Ok, I am being facetious and silly, and I don't have a business to worry about (yet) Seriously, I wish and wish for SMP, I started over ten years ago, and I'm not done yet.

Obviously, you know I think this just looks ridiculous to me.

If I force my mind open, like with a crow-bar, and think of hip-hop urban culture and the aspect of 'naturalness' ( after all we are HT heads, but thats conflating the issues) , but if I think of of hip-hop/rap beats, the tones or what ever its called, they came out of little Japanese drum machines that were designed to replicate a 'real drummer' (Roland 303 & 808) They sounded ridiculous and tinny when they came out, , and yet hip-hop culture got a hold of them and turned them into law! And they rule! Now sophisticated programs try to emulate their crude sounds and they still can't get it right.

Perhaps the painted head will rule!

Edited by scar5
Turned them into law, Neck burn.

i still think darking of the scalp can help alot with SMP, unfortunately yes those hairlines have to be perfected....lets not forget how utterly rediculous and shitty the first transplants looked when first being introduced....this is a newer procedure that all the so called specialized clinics want to cash in on...

same with normal tattoos...drop by any laser removal clinic and see all the shitty work being erased...tattooing is one of the simplist skills to learn and im thinking thats why theres so much crap work....1 week of training and youre good to go.. I

I still find its alot of BS about special ink and special needles that are exclusive to that particular clinic. and the fact the temp ink lasts 18 months at a redo at 600-100 a session makes it very lucrative for the clinic...i think that part has to be improved...

FutureHTdoc,

You know, it's a real shame you deleted the link, as I went to the trouble of naming the thread after the music the original poster used, and it obviously wasn't a promotional post, and further, I think it makes us sharper and more informed, to see what is really going on out there - you know, open up the discussion, get us wiser, etc.. However, I realize the overall long term benefit of a steam-roller no exceptions rule.

Anyway, the key point is that the epidermis and the dermis are clearly demarcated in the skin, and that barrier presents a fundamental problem for SMP and all customers lining up for it. Getting the transition from no ink, to weak ink, too stronger ink will always be a challenge.

My opinion is that it is less effective cosmetically than the shaved head option. It works but it is a minor improvement compared to the shaved effect which is a major improvement. Each case is different and it depends on how much you get done.

I do have pics but I'm reserving any further SMP pics for our new website that will be launching in the next few weeks.

Joe I would also be very curious to see SMP work other than the shaved effect. I understand the SMP shaved head look, it has just never been something that has applied or appealed to me. However, if I could see some patients using it in more of a concealer replacement successfully, it could be something that I would consider to hold me over until I could afford to go under the knife again. I look forward to the website update and hope you will let us know when it is up and running.

Greatjob,

I'll make an announcement once it's ready to go. It won't be on the H&W website, it is a completely new site. The site is basically ready to go and the only thing holding it back is content. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to get clients to allow use of photos and/or video. It is far tougher than getting surgical clients to agree to and it is quite frustrating to say the least. It is progressing however.

I am considering going in for a major SMP job myself to show what the thickening can do. I'm reluctant if only because I won't be able to say my result is purely surgical but I think there is enough evidence of just the surgical result to offset this problem. What do you think?

Greatjob,

I'll make an announcement once it's ready to go. It won't be on the H&W website, it is a completely new site. The site is basically ready to go and the only thing holding it back is content. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to get clients to allow use of photos and/or video. It is far tougher than getting surgical clients to agree to and it is quite frustrating to say the least. It is progressing however.

I am considering going in for a major SMP job myself to show what the thickening can do. I'm reluctant if only because I won't be able to say my result is purely surgical but I think there is enough evidence of just the surgical result to offset this problem. What do you think?

Yeah I would love to see that! I think between you and Spex no one has documented their transplant more thoroughly, so anyone who gives you grief over your result not being purely surgical were looking for a reason to criticize you anyways.

I mean you have to think about your personal appearance above all else, but if you want to undergo the procedure I would love to see it. As I think most people trust you more than most it would be great to see what smp can do in-conjunction with surgery. I think the only case Ive see using smp to enhance a transplant was from Dr. Rassman and the presentation of the results was horrid.

FutureHTdoc,

You know, it's a real shame you deleted the link, as I went to the trouble of naming the thread after the music the original poster used, and it obviously wasn't a promotional post, and further, I think it makes us sharper and more informed, to see what is really going on out there - you know, open up the discussion, get us wiser, etc.. However, I realize the overall long term benefit of a steam-roller no exceptions rule.

Scar,

There really isn't a "steamroller" rule in effect, and we do allow non-promotional, educational outside linking on a case-by-case basis when appropriate. However, this case, in my opinion, was pretty "cut and dry." Even if you posted the link without any intent to promote the company, the organization's brand, contact, website, etc, was featured multiple times in the YouTube video. Despite the intent, the promotional content was clearly displayed. However, I'm sorry if this ruined the running joke. What's more, we allow SMP companies to share results on our SMP forum, so this group is more than welcome to present cases there.

Hope this clarifies!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Joe - I would love to see you do that. Of course, you will/ need to do what is right for you but the thought of seeing that result excites me. I think SMP is a very interesting concept and if it can be made to last 12 months before a touch up is needed, it can be a huge adjuct to HT surgery adding that little bit extra density that we all wish we had after out HTs.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Future HT.

No problems. I'll get over it.

Just a flash in the pan from left field here but,

I think HTN or a partner could sell SMP kits and videos or, and provide online support links to 'subscribers' who practice on themselves. SMP looks easy !! How hard can it be??- at least I if these guys are doing weekender courses and earning their stripes on te scalps of unsuspecting paying customers, I think some people would be prepared to try it on themselves. The needles and guns are ridiculously cheap online from China. I don't have a clue about the quality though.

Just an idea.

Oh..and I demand 10%

Edited by scar5
Oh..and I demand 10%!

Scar5......my kit is actually in the mail as we speak...had the same thought a month back

2-3 day course to learn this stuff, plenty of practise skin to buy to get the hang of it....

ill tell you this, ive contacted ALOT of places, to ask what size needles they use or where they buy their ink , none will respond or only with we use a special blend thats a secret, needles are unique to our salon or some bulshit

you hit the nail on the head when you said how hard can it be....No dissrespct to the reputable places that are trying to make moey doing a service .i know it takes aLOT of practice and doing a hair line, and i wouldnt attempt an entire head , but just to fill in a scar or a few spots shouldnt be tht difficult after a bit of training..

of course we;ll hear the " youre crazy " arguments and its a special talent that only a trained professional can do, etc....which I agree to some extent, but some cant afford to pay 1000 plus another 1000 for touch ups every 16 months...

Hey some can fix their own car and others cant change a flat.....some people doing self hair simulation could pull it off and others might not

trapps, To be honest, I do not know the actual dimension of the needle size we use (our equipment--from dermographer to pigments--are all custom designed by Milena Lardi and manufactured by a company called Golden Eye). I can tell you that the needle looks no bigger than a sewing needle and penetrates the upper dermis, no deeper. I would be just as concerned with the skill of the person performing the SMP as the needle size, though. If you leave the needle in one spot for too long the ink can spread resulting in a large dot. You need to move the machine in exact movements, 2 seconds in, 2 seconds out.

"how hard can it be"

I thought the same. Believe me, it's not that easy to perform SMP. It takes a very specific feel to master. It's tricky to find the right balance between the manual movements and letting the machine do the work (the needle is in constant motion). It takes dexterity and concentration because you are laying tiny dots next to each and using the rim of the dermographer/excess ink as your guide.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I would think above and beyond the skill needed to make the actual dots, they also have to have artistry similar to a HT surgeon to know where and how dense to make certain areas and of course especially to reproduce a natural looking hairline and temple points/angles.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I think that if you could remove your head and set it down in front of you then you may have a chance of performing quality SMP on yourself. Of course your eyes would still not be looking at your own head so maybe I have to rethink that part.

I have no idea how easy or difficult SMP might be but I do believe that there is an artistry involved that not everyone possesses. Maybe you could purchase the gear and have SMP parties where you tattoo friends and they tattoo you but trying to get this done on yourself doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website