Could I please ask for a graft number estimate?

I've tried the calculators and etc, but they never seem to match up compared to the surgeon's results, so I'd like to ask here.

I'm planning to get a hair transplant of about 45 grafts per sqcm to restore my female/juvenile hairline and would like some opinions to go along with the images I've linked to.

http://i.imgur.com/Nk0pJvT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lPpMe51.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1S8IxW3.jpg

The black lines are what I kind of need filled.

Thanks in advance.

Nice work. You look pretty young and that looks like a maturing hairline.

As it's hairline work I'd do at least 50 grafts per cm2 multiplied by the area. Maybe add on 20% for implanting into thinning areas as well.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Nice work. You look pretty young and that looks like a maturing hairline.

As it's hairline work I'd do at least 50 grafts per cm2 multiplied by the area. Maybe add on 20% for implanting into thinning areas as well.

The lines I drew already go slightly over the hair I have, i've covered the thinning in the upper corners aha.

And as for the graft numbers, I'm planning to do this at the darling buds clinic in India, as its the absolute most I can afford. The Results and some patients on actual forums seemed pleased so I figured its safe to get a $3000 transplant rather than a $12000 one (australian prices are death). The clinic seems to do 45 as there normal number and its apparently naturally dense appearing.

I would say aroudn 2,000 grafts if you want higher density.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

At least 2000, maybe even a bit more, as you have fine hair and fine hair needs to be placed at higher densities since the hair shaft is smaller in diameter. You also have to have density that blends well with the non-thinning hair behind.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

At least 2000, maybe even a bit more, as you have fine hair and fine hair needs to be placed at higher densities since the hair shaft is smaller in diameter. You also have to have density that blends well with the non-thinning hair behind.

I'd need that many?... Is transplanting with fine hair really that noticable, like the front would look all balding if I just went with say 45 grafts cer sqcm?

Well, your photos do not show squares in the area of your existing hairline that is thinning...

lPpMe51.jpg

The areas above your squares almost doubles the total space needed to be transplanted. Granted, the density won't need to be as high as the frontal bald zone but the blending into existing hair is important and should be considered when making a plan.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This page here suggests that anecdotal evidence suggests that a hairline normally doesn't exceed 45 follicular units per square cm, which is what I was kind of basing it on... What is an Appropriate Hair Density for the Hairline and Front in Hair Transplant Surgery? | Hair Transplant News

I guess it didn't appear in the photo, but the area I was counting was a bit like this, if the sparse corners were what you were counting... Outside of that upper corner, I'm pretty sure I'm not thinning and it's more the photo. It looks normal in various lighting conditions when I check in mirrors.

http://i.imgur.com/12icGjo.jpg

IMO you are WAAAAAY too young to go that aggressive. Honestly, I think the 2000 estimate is quite low. Look at my website below. Most of my HT was into existing hair and I had above 2000. You are likely looking at 3000 to be happy. Coverttester is a person on the site (no longer really active) that had hair very similar to yours.

You should really concentrate on medical therapy and hold out a while. You seem pretty dedicated to doing it, but I think that you should hear what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. At 21 or 22 years old, I somehow doubt that Darling Buds will give you the hairline that you drew out at your age, but if they feel that you are properly educated, they may.

A HT is a life long commitment and you should really think it through and do a lot of research. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

IMO you are WAAAAAY too young to go that aggressive. Honestly, I think the 2000 estimate is quite low. Look at my website below. Most of my HT was into existing hair and I had above 2000. You are likely looking at 3000 to be happy. Coverttester is a person on the site (no longer really active) that had hair very similar to yours.

You should really concentrate on medical therapy and hold out a while. You seem pretty dedicated to doing it, but I think that you should hear what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. At 21 or 22 years old, I somehow doubt that Darling Buds will give you the hairline that you drew out at your age, but if they feel that you are properly educated, they may.

A HT is a life long commitment and you should really think it through and do a lot of research. Good luck.

I'm needing to restore the hairline to that point because I'm transgendered and need it passing wise. The hormone regime has stopped me from losing any more hair, but I didn't regrow any.

Also, why are the numbers given always to much larger than the calculators and by plotting the loss out in square cm and multiplying it by the number of grafts? Were you suggesting a density more like 70 per sqcm rather than something like 40-50?

GodAwfulLuck,

I would put Jotronic's advice on the same level as any of the top hair transplant surgeon's in world, he knows what he's talking about and is giving you very solid advice.

I'm flattered, thank you very much:)

GodAwful,

I was scratching my head for a moment because I thought maybe you were male as I assumed you were female. I'm glad my glance at your profile confirmed it, lol!

I think that you need to forget the #'s per cm2 because that will drive you nuts and it isn't really accurate anyway. Coarse caliber hair can get away with lower densities in some cases but as I mentioned earlier fine hair needs more hair per cm2 for density. And your comments about your existing hairline make sense, and I see what you are talking about, but there still does not appear to be any inclusion of native hair blending. This really is important because if the hair is not blended into the native hair then the continuity of the result can be compromised. As Spanker said, a lot of his work was blended into his existing hair. One must not just drawn a line between bald and non-bald regions and stuff some hair in. There has to be a blend so that under no circumstances the result will be compromised.

For females, the most important part of their hair is the hairline as it differentiates their hair from males and the female hairline design must be more aggressive so that it is natural. "Aggressive" does not mean going crazy, it just means temple closure like women should have. Height is relative as well and can be kept moderately high while maintaining naturalness but to be diligent I'd have to see proper profile photos (with hair puled back) to give more solid advice. Also, is there a history in your family of female hair loss? Have you had any tests run to see if your iron or thyroid levels are normal? If you have no loss or thinning anywhere else then your levels are probably fine as they are usually attributed to generalized female diffused pattern alopecia.

Scratch that about the tests and hair loss history for females in your family. We posted at the same time so I did not see that you are transgendered. The rest still holds true.

Alright, thanks for the helpful paragraphs... So what does transplanting hair for 'blending' actually do? Does it help in case some of my normal hairs die or something? I'm not really sure why I'd have to go deep into my normal hair and not just slightly over it.

Mpk3h9C.jpg

This guy seemed to get a similar amount to mine at 1500 grafts and his results didn't look too bad.

Alright, thanks for the helpful paragraphs... So what does transplanting hair for 'blending' actually do? Does it help in case some of my normal hairs die or something? I'm not really sure why I'd have to go deep into my normal hair and not just slightly over it.

Keep in mind that the amount of blending varies from one patient to the next. Some patients require blending a centimeter or more into the existing hair, some patients need half a centimeter and this will dictate the number of grafts needed. Also, don't forget that we're dealing with photos so real life inspection will reveal more. I'd bet that 2000 or more would be needed though simply because I've seen too many cases like yours to think otherwise.

This guy seemed to get a similar amount to mine at 1500 grafts and his results didn't look too bad.

Well, with respect to the patient and clinic, we really have no idea how it looks because the hair is flopped forward over the actual hairline. You see the shape and it's fine, but you have no idea what the actual density is because it is not pulled up like it was in the before photo.

Now, for a comparison, look at the photo of this female patient. Just over 2500 grafts were used and you can see the density because the hair is pulled back. The total area covered is fairly similar if not smaller than the area shown in the example you pointed out.

jhj-rprofile-postop_497c977b.jpg

jhj-hairline-cu_f9c70b66.jpg

Anyway, I hope my point is clear. There are many factors that go into hair design and it can't be quantified by a simple graft calculator. And remember, if you can't see the hairs in the hairline, you're not seeing the hairline;)

I think that's wise GodAwful. Always better to be safe than sorry. You want to be sure that you're going to get the results right the first time. Going through surgery is an emotional rollercoaster; you don't want to be let down.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Always look at it like this. It's better to be prepared to get more and wind up needing less than the other way around. As Nick said, it's better to do this once if possible rather than continuing to chase the density you were after in the first procedure.

Now that you have a stronger idea of what you might need you can better search for the right doctor for you.

Good luck!