FUE and Keloids

dutchman

Hi guys I am considering FUE for my hair transplant. I however have a history of keloid scars. 2 on the chest. Had a lot of scrapes on the back of my head from razors and did not develop any permanent scars. I don't know if this means I will not get keloids from the FUE procedure. I am 33 years old. Does anyone know much about this procedure and keloids?

Hi Dutch,

I'm not certain if it was you, but I spoke with someone about this before.

I really don't know if there is good enough evidence to confidently state that individuals with a tendency to form keloids could potentially experience keloid scarring from FUE. It is not a scarless procedure, but the amount of tissue disruption, trauma, and scarring is minimal. I feel as if it would likely be somewhere between the trauma responsible for the 2 keloid scars on your chest and the non-keloid healing you experienced from the razors/scrapes. What type of injury caused the keloid scarring on the chest?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Dutch,

I'm not certain if it was you, but I spoke with someone about this before.

I really don't know if there is good enough evidence to confidently state that individuals with a tendency to form keloids could potentially experience keloid scarring from FUE. It is not a scarless procedure, but the amount of tissue disruption, trauma, and scarring is minimal. I feel as if it would likely be somewhere between the trauma responsible for the 2 keloid scars on your chest and the non-keloid healing you experienced from the razors/scrapes. What type of injury caused the keloid scarring on the chest?

Just a minor scrape and an acne scar caused the keloids on the chest. I had multiple cuts form my barber on acne on the back of my head without scaring so I figured that meant I dont form them on my head but I don't know.

Dutch,

It is difficult to say. Frankly, I'm not certain if any physician can definitively say whether or not you will experience inappropriate scarring. They can likely only say whether or not they have observed this phenomenon in past patients. Patient physiology is unpredictable, and it is likely nearly impossible to say whether or not you will experience inappropriate scarring.

I think it would be beneficial to consult with as many FUE experts as possible, and ask their opinion on the matter. Ask if they have observed this in their own patient population, and what they would recommend based upon experience.

I hope this helps. Please, let me know if I can answer any further questions or provide some consultation recommendations.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dutch,

Where are you located? If I were in your position, I would try and speak with Dr. William Lindsey. He's a facial plastic surgeon by training, and is very well versed in head and neck scarring. I think a conversation with him would be well worth your time!