Advice on desired hairline (2nd HT)

Hey all! Need some advice, opinions and general thoughts from the only peers I'd place my trust in. :cool:

Now that I'm finally starting to see my hairline take shape from the first procedure, I want to toss around some ideas pertaining to my hairline and a possible second procedure. Please bear in mind that I've always had a big ole noggin, so I don't plan on dropping my hairline below 6.5 cm, but I would like a more established hairline. I doodled a quick hairline that I personally think is just that. My goal was something that isn't too aggressive nor conservative. According to my calculations, from the current transplanted hairline I'd have to drop 1-1.75 cm to balance out my facial thirds, so that's what I based the doodle on.

16920.jpg

It's not perfect and is slightly asymmetrical, but you get the pic.

Here's how I generated my ultra scientific calculations(lol): the tip of the hairline was placed using my index finger as a measuring tool. At it's lowest point I simply want it to be dropped the width of said finger. This accounts for roughly 5/8 to 11/16 of an inch. Which is right around that 1.5-1.7cm range. That would be my ideal, but I would be fine with 1 cm if it was dense. I also would like slight/shallow temple angle closure that blends into conservative temple points. I don't need to go flat and low with a juvenile hairline, but I do want SOME angle closure. I think this frames the face and minimizes the five-head without going too overboard. But since it's hard to stay objective with yourself, I come to you fine folk!

Thanks for all the support so far. :)

Edited by NoTakeBacks

which HT surgeon you are thinking of going to.

You know the most difficult part is to fill hairs on temple points and near side burns and continue to all the way as you have designed.

Your sketch is very doable but you need a very very skilled surgeon to craft that hairline when it comes to doing it.

You know very few surgeons have that skills.

Hair greed strikes again!

It looks from your profile that you're pretty young and not on finasteride. Is than still the case?

I'd save those precious grafts for further recession behind the hairline. It's gonna happen and some point.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for all the advice!

@fueonly: Yup! I do understand hairlines and temple/point restoration takes a certain artistry. I've already had one HT with Dr. Feller and have confidence in his skills to achieve said look. Extreme circumstances withstanding, that's who I'll be returning to.

@1978matt: Yeah that damn hair greed bug! It might as well be a perfect vector. It finds its way to nearly every HT patient, and strikes with approximately 90% chance of infection lol. Last I checked I am still young, and I am not on Finasteride. I will continue to use Nizoral and Minoxidil, but Fin...that would require huge convincing. I know I'm gambling, but there's no family history of NW 5, 6 or 7 on either side of my blood lines. Knowing genetics, I can be the first though! Anyone in my extended family who experienced loss, all had front diffusion. Vertex loss is almost unseen even in my great uncles/cousins. The reasoning behind the plan I've laid out is: I'd rather take care of my frontal third now with scalp hair, but leave approximately 6K FUs for touch ups, mid scalp and vertex (if I am an outlier). I appreciate your input though as I've followed your case and will possibly consider Fin if I grow the balls!

@suarez: LOL! Can't tell if serious, but I already have tons of chest and abdomen hair. Though I have no plans of going lower than what I've stated. ;D

@Dr. Charlies: Thank ya kindly for responding to my topic! When I drew the blue line it was more or less an afterthought, but I did want to include a secondary option that came less to a peak/forward. I would never have considered the shape of my nose into the hairline equation, but that's why I asked for advice from this forum! Knew with all the knowledge floating around I'd get good advice. I'm no expert and I'm totally open to others advice (including Doc Feller when I see him), all I know is I would like to have it lowered a bit and have some slight temple closure and points restored. I have a pretty long face, and my forehead has always been high, so I want to minimize that real estate efficiently. I'm happy I went conservative first shot out, but now I think it's time to dial it in. Nothing too crazy mind you.

Anyhoo, included for everyone's pleasure is less obscured portrait pics. Florescent lighting really isn't flattering...

16921.jpg

their is no guarantee that if in your family tree their is no such baldness pattern so u will not have that. I have seen people in whose family neither on maternal nor paternal side not even a class 1 baldness but people are beyond class 7 (shiny pate ) at age 27 and some in mid 20's

you should understand proverb hair today gone tomorrow

dr feller i like his work.

A 1cm drop is massive and would need about 1,000 grafts for a convincing look. A 1.75cm drop would need circa 1,750 grafts(almost 2,000). I would reconsider given your age as you don't want to exhaust your donor on such a small area when you could possible lose a much larger area of hair and be left to resort to body hair, SMP etc.

I understand you wanting to drop it, but I have to agree with those that said it is too risky. Your hair looks awesome. I have stated may times before that I wish my hairline was a tad higher, but it was where it was when I had surgery and it hadn't moved in 10 years, just thinned a bit, so I went for it. Now I will have to back that up as time goes by.

If you were 10 years older and on finasteride, I would probably say go for it, but as of now, my advice is to leave it where it is. Also, planting into a completely bald area takes a lot of grafts and sometimes more than one session to really make a young guy happy (think Adam).

I would enjoy what you have and rock that look. It really looks great.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks all, especially to Mickey and Spanker, really appreciate your opinions. I'll reconsider dropping the hairline and discuss with the Doc something along the lines of temple points/some simple touch ups if necessary. I don't plan on making a final decision until I'm at 12-14 months anyway as I want to see the matured result. By then any touch ups might not be necessary, and that would save me some money too lol.

Instead of starting an entirely separate thread, I wanted to throw out a quick question concerning Propecia/Fin.

If I decide to start on Finasteride, what would be a good beginner regimen? .5mg? 1 mg every other day? I may give it a try, and see how it unfolds. I'll up my workout, and eat healthy to try and circumvent any sides + rise in Estrogen levels. The scary part about it is the fact that if I do get sides, there's the possibility they can last up to 24-40 months after discontinuing it... :\

That's the scariest part about any drugs impact and half-life.

Hi NoTakeBacks.

You case for all intense purposes is not to different from mine, ive had a previous surgery to fill in the cowhorns but more importantly for me to lower a very high forhead.Following the 12 month mark 8 weeks or so ago I had another procedure and lowered the hair line again slightly to about 68mm, i also included some temple work to create balance and make it less broad.

For me it was a case of really wanting to style my hair up, whilst I was pleased with my previous procedure I felt my noggin was stil to big (ok HT greed also plays a part)

IMO your hair looks good, careful with placing to much weighting on the facial thirds rule, this is only a guide, your hairline may already be in the perfect place.....

Hair Restoration Journal for Cowhorns - Before Surgery HT 3