This 35-year-old African-American male sought treatment for his rapidly-thinning scalp. He underwent a 2200-graft FUT session with Dr. Carlos K. Wesley in NYC. The patient returned to the office about 11 months later wearing the same short hairstyle.

Slide05.jpg.8796251ea3c0c0f6b4cbb40de17addbb.jpg

Slide06.jpg.fdd0ba06640d7de6efcd622e65a92936.jpg

Slide07.jpg.dd57c91667eb4c58364bcb810e1eb9b8.jpg

I'm always blown away by how good of coverage some racial groups can achieve with such a modest amount of grafts. Good results

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Nick.

It's the minimal color contrast between the color of hair and color of scalp combined with the "shingling" effect of having curly hair that can give African-American patients the illusion of more coverage with fewer grafts. I've encouraged this patient to wear his hair a few millimeters longer in order to take advantage of this "shingling" effect. But, he is just happy to be able to continue to wear his short hairstyle even after a strip harvest (FUT or FUSS).

Slide09.jpg

Slide11.jpg

Slide10.jpg

• 3 months later...

Wait WHOA, this was FUT? Not FUE?? How is the donor scar so invisible?!? I can't wear my hair any shorter than a #3 grade or my scar shows!

If this is FUE then it's a top-notch job - but if this is FUT then this is really stellar, amazing work in regards to the incision/scar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, OtherSyde.

This WAS follicular unit transplantation (FUT) or strip harvest. I've attached a magnified image of this patient's donor scar as seen at 11 months. Now, if an African-American patient has a history of keloid scarring I would certainly first do a small test session to ensure that his/her donor closure would be successful. If not, patients should be able to wear their hair at a relatively short length like this because the additional curl of the surrounding hair provides even better coverage of any fine donor scar than straight hair.

11MonthDonorScar.jpg.078becb140bf2e79b2d82dc8003fa203.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an example of the donor area from an African-American patient of mine after a relatively-small follicular unit extraction (FUE) session. He only had about 700 grafts transplanted, but certainly could feel comfortable with a short hairstyle after a session in our NYC practice.

AR_Donor_FUE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Here is how the recipient looked 4 days after the procedure.

T.jpg

I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Dr. Carlos Wesley is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1050 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028

Ph (844) 745-6362

www.drcarloswesley.com