Smoking after Hair Transplant

loyalspirit

Hello my name is Rob

I had a hair transplant (FUT) done, around 1500 grafts on my front hairline and

800 on my mid scalp on September 3rd. I went on vacation on day 3 (September 6th) and I got drunk. I bought a pack of cigarettes(Maverick menthol cigarettes) which last me till day 5 (September 8th). I feel VERY guilty about it and I'm very worried that I could of done some damage to my grafts.I haven't smoked since then and I don't plan too either. When I got my stitches removed the lady looked at my grafts and she said that it looks fine.

Sorry if this may sound like a dumb question, even though I smoked the pack of cigarettes which lasted me 3 days, do you think I will be ok? (has long as I avoid smoking from now on) Im a little worried and I know it's my fault.

Hi, don't worry mate!! A lot of the top drs say its ok to smoke after a transplant, some even allow it during breaks on the day of the op itself!! Smoking can't slow the healing process but I am unaware of any evidence that it effects grafts survival or growth!!! Although if it worries you don't smoke I was the same as you and didn't bother but the general opinion was it won't effect your outcome!!

Smoking delays healing after any type of surgery or invasive procedure. This is not unique to hair transplant surgery.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I am sure that any doctor will tell you not to smoke. I did smoke cigarettes after my procedure with a good outcome, however, I advise against it just for health reasons and for healing.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I do not think that smoking a few cigarettes 3-5 days post op will have a profound effect on results. Patients who are long term heavy smokers may have compromised circulation which can effect wound healing and possibly graft survival.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This thread is funny, especially the last comment. For what it is worth, I consulted with a very prominent Doctor who does NOT believe there is a correlation between smoking and poor growth. Best of luck!

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I sincerely hope not for my sake as well as other smokers.

Have a nice day

This thread is funny, especially the last comment. For what it is worth, I consulted with a very prominent Doctor who does NOT believe there is a correlation between smoking and poor growth. Best of luck!

• 2 months later...