3632 graft FUT with Ron Shapiro: 9 weeks post op

Bertie

This is the week I have to return to school, where I can't wear a hat and my hair is on view to everyone. I have grown back about an inch of my own untransplanted hair since the HT, which is what I'd anticipated. Unfortunately, at least half of my untransplanted hair seems to have gone missing, leaving me looking substantially bald at the front (compare today's pics to my pre-op pics). I knew I had a 20% chance of getting some shock loss and unfortunately the dice have not rolled as I'd hoped. Unlucky, eh – shock loss is quite shocking! I've used Toppik to cover as much scalp show-through as possible and it's quite an amazing product, but the contrast between pre and post op is still profound, like I've been thrust forward by at least 5 years to see how bald I'd have become had I not gone for a transplant, the very thing I wanted to avoid and a bit of a nightmare scenario. I've been getting quite a few comments and double-take glances. One teacher asked if I'd had some kind of accident, and I must admit it does feel a bit like that. But I do realise that shock loss is quite normal, so I just have to get through this period as well as I can. If cornered I'll say I'm suffering from temporary hair loss – or telogen effluvium, which sounds impressively medical as well as being actually true – and hope that my hair will soon start to grow. It's supposed to be about 3 months before the new hair starts to grow so hopefully not too much longer to wait. But it also takes about 3 months before hair lost to shock loss starts to reappear, so when I do start getting new hair it may be difficult to know if it's tranplanted hair or simply my own untransplanted hair growing back. I just want to see any hair growing back. At the moment it feels like I'm waiting for the cavalry to arrive!

A couple of things.........yes, you appear to have experienced some shock loss. However, you appear as though you're going to have one of those tremendous results that are profiled here weekly as the "hair transplant of the week". Your donor appears very dense and I'm betting that translated into a great result. You also appear to have the type of hair with early growth....so I'd expect things to start popping very shortly. Best of luck!

Aren't you a bit old to be going to school?:D

It would be good if you could cut the rest of your hair as short as possible.

I bought some 'Mane' from their shop in Camden (N. London) and spray it lightly over the scar region. It really works well and takes seconds.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

For my next hair cut, this weekend, I should be able to even the hair up to look equally short all over, which should help. I wonder how 'Mane' compares to Toppik. Does it have any advantages? Ron Shapiro advised me to use Toppik rather than Dermatch and it is excellent, but it can't do anything at the temple area, where I have no hair to fortify so inevitably end up with the unfortunate 'widow's peak' look. Is there a method to disguise this aspect? I suppose Dermatch could colour/pigment the scalp itself, but with no hair in situ it would probably look a bit weird.

For my next hair cut, this weekend, I should be able to even the hair up to look equally short all over, which should help. I wonder how 'Mane' compares to Toppik. Does it have any advantages? Ron Shapiro advised me to use Toppik rather than Dermatch and it is excellent, but it can't do anything at the temple area, where I have no hair to fortify so inevitably end up with the unfortunate 'widow's peak' look. Is there a method to disguise this aspect? I suppose Dermatch could colour/pigment the scalp itself, but with no hair in situ it would probably look a bit weird.

It's a bit like a spray paint of hair fibres. A bit like wet Dermatch which has been put into a spray can. Completely useless for the hairline but pretty decent elsewhere.

It goes on very quick and you can seal it with a hairspray.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Dude your in great hands... with the amount of donor it looks like you have (alot), the amount of grafts placed and the great doc your picked..... your results will be amazing... be patient

You only live once...

Don't even worry about trying to distinguish what hair is coming through, whether it's shock-lossed hair that is returning or simply transplanted hair. You're going to drive yourself nuts! What's important is that you're going to see a dramatic improvement from the pre-op. However, just forget about that for now. Time flies so much faster if you just forget.

I had my transplant at Shapiro 14 weeks ago and I can already tell a significant difference between pre-op and now, and that's only the beginning (I hope). You were in great hands, you chose a great clinic, just worry about educating the future generation and let the hairs do their work..

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily