Hair Shedding Post Hair Transplant

Hi Everyone,

Just joined (finally). This forum has been the biggest help the past few years. Its through it I found my superb Surgeon Dr Path in Bangkok.

Ok, quick simple question. There is a lot of mixed responses when I search it. I just want to ask if its completely normal for hair to start shedding at around day 8? I am 10 days post Op and noticed first shed of a transplanted hair around Day 7/8 and now each day am seeing more hair shed when I wash.

Have been following all the right instructions and have been extremely gentle when washing. Have had no head bumps, no bleeding, all has been so great post op. I have just read on many different web sites that the transplanted hair usually doesn't shed until after 2 weeks. I searched at least 15 different post care instructions from many transplant clinics all over the world and they said typically it starts at 2 weeks.

If someone could please help put my over thinking mind at ease. I am sure its OK as no "bulbs" or "grafts" have come out just tiny hairs shedding. Long question shortened - Is shedding transplanted hair only after one week/8 days too soon?

Many thanks

T

I'm pretty sure it's normal. I started shedding at day 9. By day 14 I had shed pretty much all if the transplanted hair....I'm now day 18 and I'm back to being bald. :)

Thanks Baldietwo. I am confident its all part of the process.

However this morning in the shower (I will attach a pic) I did notice a hair come out with what looked like a bulb or crust attached to it. Is this normal? Or could it be a graft that didn't take? I would love any opinions from anyone who has experienced something similar or a surgeon.

Kind regards!!

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/tsav84/albums/2686/16836

remember loss in recipient area is not reversible if its not transplanted graft and you can easily figure what is transplanted hair and what is native hair at this stage

loss in donor is reversible

mark my words thats what i called shock loss(the worst part of HT)

its my opinion

It definitely sounds like sympathetic shock loss to me. Some experience it sooner than others. Many experience it from one week post-op up to a solid month as it varies between individuals.

And it sounds like your crusts are starting to come off. This generally happens after 7-12 days post-op. Many times the graft hair shafts come out with the crusts attached which is also normal.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY