19 Years of age: Norwood 2-3 (is there anybody out there).

Trying to put my mind at ease. Can't help but worry, naturally.

The pain of sleeping has lessened over the past days. I sleep with 2 pillows, in a 45 degree angle.

First two nights I slept upright in a stool. Two sleepless nights, mind you.

The back of my head is the only painful region of my head.

The top of my head still remains mostly numb.

The front of my head, where the grafts have been placed, is still red and scabbing.

The swelling, despite of the compression bandage, has progressed down to the sides of my eyebrows and just below the left eye.

My left eye is slightly blue/black/red, but my doctor told me not to worry too much, and that it should fade in a matter of 2-7 days.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, the poor-quality/low-resolution photographies recently posted (post surgery), do not depict a realistic image of what it truly looks like. Once I return to my motherland, I will provide this thread with far more high-resolution photographies. HD, 1920x1080p.

Snapshot_20131210_2.JPG.74449f49caed65f69c6ad4cd3182614c.JPG

Edited by TheMirrorOfDreams
Forgot to include photos

I usually don't make any negative posts on peoples post op threads because what is done is done, but I have to say it looks like they made no effort to blend the work in to your existing hair. It's just an abrupt line with a little gap between transplant and native hair. With that being said I really hope everything works out for you and you have a great result

I usually don't make any negative posts on peoples post op threads because what is done is done, but I have to say it looks like they made no effort to blend the work in to your existing hair. It's just an abrupt line with a little gap between transplant and native hair. With that being said I really hope everything works out for you and you have a great result
Yes, I agree with you. I don't really know why. I will send the doctor an e-mail now, and get back to you once the answer reaches my inbox. It looks a little worse on photos, but I can still see the line of which you are referring to. Should get a response from the doctor within the hour.

Nota bene: it could be that they ran out of available hairs, and started implanting them in the very front, working their way to the back. Perhaps they miscalculated. Also, I could only afford so much, so it could as well have to do something with my budget.

"I transplant row by row to spare the blood supply for grafts. If you pack them too much, they won't grow."

- What say you?

I think he might have misunderstood my question.

No matter. I will instead ask this of him in my next upcoming appointment, on the 14th.

hey mate, the hair does look good but i do agree with the above comment that it looks like they just planted a semi circle and just stopped????

otherwise looking great and looks like the swelling has gone down a bit!

Yes, you're right. I will ask the doctor why this is so.

The doctor told me he transplanted approximately 3500 hairs. Then how come I see only about 100 hairs on the surface? Are most of the hairs dwelling beneath the surface of the skin? I feel very confused...

I'm pretty sure in the pictures i can see rows of hairs, like all the red marks are hairs aren't they
Well, yes and no.

All the red marks are not hairs. Some are not. Some of red marks contain much shorter hairs than others, and some none at all. Some of the red marks have even dissapeared. Why could this be?

The instructions I was told to follow, in order to achieve the most favourable of results:

HAIR TRANSPLANTATION POSTOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS:

The hardest part of hair transplantation is waiting for the hair to grow. The hair transplanted today will not begin to grow until 3-4 months after the procedure. Before this time, small scabs will form around the grafts. These scabs will fall off in 7-20 days along with the shaft of the hair. This is normal; do not panic. The root remains behind. The new hair shaft will continue to grow underneath the skin, reaching the surface in 3-4 months. By aroun 10 months the hair will matuere and add density to the areas. It will take 10 months to actually see the result of surgery since the hair grows at an average rate of 1.5 cm per month.

WARNING:

1. DO NOT drink alcohol for 48 hours after the surgery. Alcohol thins the blood and may cause bleeding.

2. DO NOT take aspirin, motrin, or naprosyn for 3 days after surgery as these can also thin the blood and cause bleeding (except when approved by your doctor). If in doubt, please feel free to call the clinic.

POSTURE: Do not bend or lower your body to pick up things for the first 5 days to prevent swelling.

Sleeping: Keep the head elevated with two pillows or a rolled towel put under your neck. This will help to relieve discomfort of the donor wound.

POSTOPERATIVE MEDICATIONS:

A. An antibiotic will be routinely to be taken before and for a few days after surgery to prevent infection. The new trend based on scientific research is to limit the course of the antibiotic to prevent drug resistance because the scalp is considered to be clean area, except when you have an artificial implant (heart valve, total joint, etc.) The Doctor will discuss this point with you before your surgery.

B. TYLENOL WITH CODEINE is a mild narcotic painkiller. You may take one to two pills, four times a day. ONLY IF NEEDED. This medication may cause drowsiness so caution should be taken. If you have to operate dangerous or mechanical equipment (car, sharp object, etc.), Please inform the doctor for alternative pain medication.

SHAMPOO AND CLEANING

The transplant area

Your hair should be washed 24-48 hours after surgery. We want the graft to adhere solidly during this time.

1. Wet your head with a bowl of room temperature water or with a gentle stream of water from the shower. If you use the shower, block the stream with your hand so that the water pressure is not too strong.

2. Lather up the shampoo on the palm of your hand.

3. Pat this shampoo on the area gently (DO NOT RUB) and let it sit for 5 minutes.

4. Gently rinse off with a bowl off water, or a gentle stream of water from the shower.

5. Pat dry gently with a towel. After 24 hours you can use a blow dryer on cool setting only. DO NOT RUB THE GRAFTS TO DRY THEM.

6. Do this starting 48 hours after surgery, twice a day.

7. After 7 days you can begin to gently rub the grafts to help remoe crusts.

8. After 10 days, you should be able to shampoo normally. However, scratching with nails should be avoided.

9. You can use any good-quality shampoo for hair washing.

10. A conditioner can be added to help in breaking down crusts.

THE SUTURED AREA:

You can be more aggressive with the sutured area. Wash this daily starting 24 hours after surgery. However, please be careful about the knots that are located at each end of the incision.

NAUSEA/VOMITING:

This may occur after surgery, but in less than 10% of patients, due to the medication given during surgery. Do not panic becaue this condition is self limiting. Report to the doctor and he will give you medication for this. Only if vomiting is intractable would you sintravenous fluid.

HICCUPS:

This problems occurs occasionally and may last for 24 hours. Drink plenty of water at one time. Do not worry as this condition is self limiting.

BLEEDING:

Slight bleeding may occur occasionally. The wound should not be touched. If the bleeding becomes active and profuse, notify the doctor immediately.

HEAD BAND:

This band should not be removed in the first 48 hours except when you are shampooing, ro if the doctor tells you to do so. Continue to wear it for a minimum of 4 days after surgery. After that, it can be disregarded if there is no swelling around the eyes.

SWELLING:

On occasion, swelling may occur (in 5% of patients). It is not dangerous and is painless, and it will not affect the growth of the graft. Applying ice on the forehead after surgery for 10 minutes foru times a day will further decrease your chance of experiencing swelling.

DO NOT APPLY ICE DIRECTLY TO THE GRAFT SITE AS THIS MAY DAMAGE THE GRAFTS. APPLY THE ICE TO THE FOREHEAD BELOW THE GRAFTS.

STITCHES

Usually we apply two kinds of stitches. Your doctor will inform you after the surgery which type of stitches you have and what to do with them:

1. Absorbable stitches: there is no need to have them removed. It may take up to 3-4 weeks for the absorbable stitches to be dissolved or fragment off.

2. Nonabsorbable stitches: these should be removed in 5-7 days after the surgery. These can be removed by us or your local doctor. (instruction sheet will be provided.)

EXERCISE AND ACTIVITY:

- No exercise is allowed for 7 days after the procedure as this could result in increased swelling or lost grafts. After 7 days, mild exercise can be resumed.

- After 10 days, normal exercise can be resumed.

SWIMMING AND SUN:

- You should avoid swimming for at least a few weeks after surgery. Remember acid chlorine, and bacteria are in the pool! After this, swimming is all right.

- The skin of the grafts is not used to the sun and may burn easily. It is OK to go into the sun but with some protection like a hat to protect the sensitive grafts.

FOLLICULITIS AT THE GRAFT SITE:

On occasion, a patient may develop folliculitis at the grafted site. They are pimple-like lesions looking similar to cane. If this happens, apply moist warm soaks and antibiotic ointment to the areas three times a day. PLEAE NOTIFY US IF THIS OCCURS AS WE MAY HAVE TO PRESCRIBE SPECIAL MEDICATION FOR THIS PROBLEM.

CUT AND DYE:

We advise not to cut or color the hair for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery.

GETTING INTO CARS:

Be careful when you get into a car! Make sure your head will not hit the rim of the door or the roof. Every year we have a few patients losing some graft from this kind of accident.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My doctor (in an e-mail reply) told me that the benefits of my hair transplant, may be evaluate after 6 months. I also asked of him how many hairs he thought would successfully grow out, and he said over 90%. Before long, I will be heading back for the last consultation. Then I will ask him to be a bit more precise and meticulous. I do however appreciate how he swiftly replies to every question of mine. Per today, such progress (90%) seems unreal. For now, all I can do is hope, wish and wait. Also I will have to keep my head elevated in a 45 degree position whilst sleeping, and finish up the remains of my antibiotica pills and special shampoo. By the way, I have ceased using the compression bandage now. The swelling has subsided 90% from my forehead, and for that I am glad, because it did in fact make me look very... out of place. The skin under my eyes has turned yellow, but the black spot/bruising on my left eye has in fact not gotten worse. Possibly slightly better. As of late, I have not exposed my skin to any sunlight. I mostly dwell in the comfort of my hotel-room. My head feels itchy, which is very bothersome at times. I'd presume that most of the grafts by now have anchored, its been a week after all. On day 10, they will all most surely have. The waiting is both unbearable and mentally-draining.

By the by, I has to ask. This hypothesis is mostly a subject ridicule. Could masturbation/sex in any sense negatively affect the the outcome of the hair transplant surgery? Basically, could it affect the production of testosterone, or perhaps blood supply?

You had such minimal loss why on earth would you need another transplant next year?
To be frank, I have no idea as to why. Dr. Prasert recommended me this, for some reason or another. The grafts looks densily packed to me at least, but still he tells me I may not achieve the desired density.

To be frank, I have no idea as to why. Dr. Prasert recommended me this, for some reason or another. The grafts looks densily packed to me at least, but still he tells me I may not achieve the desired density.

Not to Freak you out, but that is a little concerning. You have already exhausted a good deal of donor planting a very aggressive hairline, and at only a few weeks post op the doctor is telling you the density may not be good enough and you may need to use more precious donor for your hairline. If the doctor didn't think 2000 grafts was enough, why didn't he tell you that prior to surgery?

Anyways here's to hoping you don't lose more hair and you have great yield, good luck!

i agree with Greatjob. Why would your doc want to perform another surgery on a 19 year old kid, excuse me 20. Don't mean for that to sound harsh but dang.
No, I agree with you. As long as I stay on Propecia and Minoxidil (and possibly Nizoral), I should be fine, for at least a couple of years. Considering I had 2000 grafts and 3500 hairs transplanted, I think not I would need another transplant, at least not in the same area. It remains to be seen...

Today I've hit the 2-week mark.

Scabs are depleting with each passing day. I reckon them to be gone in a weeks time.

I've yet to see the hairs fall out, but let's give it some time... it will resolve itself, to be sure.

I have finished the medications given to my by Dr. Prasert.

Other than that, there is little to be said.

Snapshot_20131218.JPG.f3c0de76127b2c36949d1ef192bb4690.JPG