19 Years of age: Norwood 2-3 (is there anybody out there).

Mirror,

Good luck! I look forward to the updates. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this age please do not go for surgery man you are too young.. Please try to protect the hairs via Ro-gain foam or something... Best luck

It may prove disadvantageous down the road, but I am looking for happiness now, not in 5-10 years. I have adequate money to compensate for more treatments and more than enough donor hair (plus body hair) to cover for further hairloss.

And since DHT (rarely) doesn't affect the hair in my back or most of the sides, I see no reason why not.

My dad's hairloss pattern is obvious, and I believe I too will end up with about the same kind of hair as himself.

My mind's made up.

Nothing can change it.

Edited by TheMirrorOfDreams

It may prove disadvantageous down the road, but I am looking for happiness now, not in 5-10 years. I have adequate money to compensate for more treatments and more than enough donor hair (plus body hair) to cover for further hairloss.

And since DHT (rarely) doesn't affect the hair in my back or most of the sides, I see no reason why not.

My dad's hairloss pattern is obvious, and I believe I too will end up with about the same kind of hair as himself.

My mind's made up.

Nothing can change it.

You say that now but you really do not want to be one of those guys who has their donor depleted by being used up on the frontal 3rd of their head and having to resort to body hair which is VASTLY different to scalp hair. People behave like body and beard hair are interchangeable with scalp hair but it is different in caliber, tensile strength, wave etc. There is no guarantee that your hairloss will only halt like your father's.

You say that now but you really do not want to be one of those guys who has their donor depleted by being used up on the frontal 3rd of their head and having to resort to body hair which is VASTLY different to scalp hair. People behave like body and beard hair are interchangeable with scalp hair but it is different in caliber, tensile strength, wave etc. There is no guarantee that your hairloss will only halt like your father's.

I see what you mean.

They way my hair looks in present time and the way I feel as of now, I am not content with.

I will not (potentially) waste another year of my life on medications, that may not even work in my favour.

I'd rather have good hair throughout my teens and young-twenties, than 30's.

I may not end up as "one of those guys". Hopefully not.

Sometime in the (not so distant, hopefully...) future, I am sure they will come up with new methods.

I take my chances, be they foolhardy or not.

Edited by TheMirrorOfDreams

You are making the very mistake that alot of 'those guys' made. Sure the methods, cosmetic appearance and techniques are much better these days, but donor hair is still very finite. Did you know that on an average non-balding person there exists 30,000 grafts on the top of the head? Guess how many donor grafts the average person has. About 5,000-6,000. If you exhaust say 2,000 grafts restoring your frontal third, that leaves you with 3,000-4,000 grafts to cover an area that had 20,000(2/3rds) native grafts if your bald further. When I was 19 I did not even have the proper perspective to decide what I wanted in life. I was taking drugs, being with the wrong girls, being in a job I hated, making bad decisions. A hair transplant would have been a very big risk at 19 on top of everything else. That's how inexperienced and naive we are at 19. I implore you NOT to go ahead as it could cause decades of grief and you may not think you care about that now but certainly will then. All the best,

You are making the very mistake that alot of 'those guys' made. Sure the methods, cosmetic appearance and techniques are much better these days, but donor hair is still very finite. Did you know that on an average non-balding person there exists 30,000 grafts on the top of the head? Guess how many donor grafts the average person has. About 5,000-6,000. If you exhaust say 2,000 grafts restoring your frontal third, that leaves you with 3,000-4,000 grafts to cover an area that had 20,000(2/3rds) native grafts if your bald further. When I was 19 I did not even have the proper perspective to decide what I wanted in life. I was taking drugs, being with the wrong girls, being in a job I hated, making bad decisions. A hair transplant would have been a very big risk at 19 on top of everything else. That's how inexperienced and naive we are at 19. I implore you NOT to go ahead as it could cause decades of grief and you may not think you care about that now but certainly will then. All the best,

Well, I could use neck hair instead of scalp hair, I have more than enough to choose from. If it comes to what you suspects, then I will simply use chest hair, as I have enough for 1-2 full heads of hair ;)

Can't say I comprehend why people are so against it (in regards to my age - though I understand what you're trying to say), considering that in this day and age the technique has been perfected.

I will proceed with the surgery, no matter what. I care not.

Worry not, my state of misery is currently at it's very peak.

All the best.

You have my thanks. I know very well how foolish my ways may seem,

but I simply can't take this any longer.

And if the worst case scenario is "no more donor hair to take from",

I will have no issue with making use of my endless body hair (believe me,

I have FAR more than any one would prefer). Enough supply for 3-4 full heads of hair, fortunately and unfortunately.

Have you actually had any consultations with Dr Path or any other Dr?

They will turn you away in a flash. On the rare occasions I've seen 18/19 year olds operated on the Doctors tend to get the parents involved in the decision making (people in their teens tend to lack maturity and common sense - I should know, I used to be one:D).

The risk is you will find a Dr willing to do the work who butchers your scalp, achieves poor yield, wastes 40% of your donor hair and makes you look like a freak.

It's all very well saying you don't mind bad hair beyond your 20s but there are countless 30,40,50...even 80 year olds who care about their hair enough to get a hair transplant. Can you imagine 70 years of your life appearing in photo albums as "the guy who looks like a freak"?

Your hair still looks quite decent to me and you should stick with the finasteride for a couple of years to see if it stops or slows down the rot. It could just mature to a low norwood pattern.

I've seen a lot of Umar repair cases and while it is admirable what he can achieve with BHT, quite franky being bald from day one is a better option.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Have you actually had any consultations with Dr Path or any other Dr?

They will turn you away in a flash. On the rare occasions I've seen 18/19 year olds operated on the Doctors tend to get the parents involved in the decision making (people in their teens tend to lack maturity and common sense - I should know, I used to be one:D).

The risk is you will find a Dr willing to do the work who butchers your scalp, achieves poor yield, wastes 40% of your donor hair and makes you look like a freak.

It's all very well saying you don't mind bad hair beyond your 20s but there are countless 30,40,50...even 80 year olds who care about their hair enough to get a hair transplant. Can you imagine 70 years of your life appearing in photo albums as "the guy who looks like a freak"?

Your hair still looks quite decent to me and you should stick with the finasteride for a couple of years to see if it stops or slows down the rot. It could just mature to a low norwood pattern.

I've seen a lot of Umar repair cases and while it is admirable what he can achieve with BHT, quite franky being bald from day one is a better option.

Thanks, but no thanks.

By the way, the doctor has already agreed to do it...

He is aware of my age and amount of loss (I sent him the same exact pictures).

He recommended me a FUT hair transplant.

He could just as well take hair from my neck, chest, legs, pubes, or anything like that.

By doing so, I eliminate the chance of "using up my donor hair".

I don't see the problem.

Hi Noah,

Annabel is travelling this weekend.

My name is Janese Ritchie, I work with our international patients who chose to have surgery with us in Bangkok. I also offer to take our patients to their consultation and surgery appointments.

Our doctor does not believe it is necessary to shave your head entirely.

No Problems in keeping it that length.

Most of the international Doctors have their own clinic outside the hospital which enables them to offer better prices to their patients without the hospital overheads. There is no need for an overnight stay in hospital with this procedure.

The Doctor uses the same team as he would normally use in the hospital and if he chooses to do more grafts or takes longer to do the grafts there are no additional hospital costs to worry about because he is in his own clinic.

Both procedures leave a scar where the hair is taken from however when the hair grows back you cannot see the scar.

All of our International patients only stay a few days, our doctor does internal stitches which are disolvable.

We have never had one complaint with the end results.

Everyone is thrilled with the take up of the FUT method.

The FUT gives you a 91% take up which is more than the FUE method.

The Oasis Bangkok is a small boutique hotel, is very clean and the staff are vry friendly however if you are ordering your food in house the choices are limited.

Regards,

Janese

Hi Noah,

Annabel is travelling this weekend.

My name is Janese Ritchie, I work with our international patients who chose to have surgery with us in Bangkok. I also offer to take our patients to their consultation and surgery appointments.

Our doctor does not believe it is necessary to shave your head entirely.

No Problems in keeping it that length.

Most of the international Doctors have their own clinic outside the hospital which enables them to offer better prices to their patients without the hospital overheads. There is no need for an overnight stay in hospital with this procedure.

The Doctor uses the same team as he would normally use in the hospital and if he chooses to do more grafts or takes longer to do the grafts there are no additional hospital costs to worry about because he is in his own clinic.

Both procedures leave a scar where the hair is taken from however when the hair grows back you cannot see the scar.

All of our International patients only stay a few days, our doctor does internal stitches which are disolvable.

The Oasis Bangkok is a small boutique hotel, is very clean and the staff are vry friendly however if you are ordering your food in house the choices are limited.

Regards,

Janese

That's very nice but where's the email from the Doctor? Is it Dr Path?

Best of luck and I look forward to reading the Blog.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Worry not, my state of misery is currently at it's very peak.

I don't mean any disrespect to you, but this statement makes me think hairloss is not your main problem. You have what most people would consider a great head of hair, and to say that you are in misery because of it points to the fact that your view of yourself is not synched up with reality.

It happens very often with cosmetic surgery, be it due to body dysmorphic disorder or whatever, people try to fix something that isn't wrong and when the procedure is done they are not satisfied because they don't see the reality of their situation. I have seen it many times on various hairloss forums.

It's not that I haven't seen people with your level of loss have a procedure, but I have seen very few people with your level of loss claim they are in misery or their life is ruined, and every one of those people have all clearly had other issues unrelated to hairloss.

You seem to be disregarding all of the very sound advice that people have given you so I'm not sure what the point is in asking others for advice if you are just going to ignore it. So because of that I'm not going to give you my opinion on undergoing a procedure, but I wish you luck and hope everything works out for you.

Regards,

Janese

Also I don't like to see reps for clinics making statements like in the bold. That is pretty much an impossibility, every single one of the very top HT doctors in the world have procedures that don't yield well and patients that are not completely satisfied.

I haven't logged on in a long time but man....

There is no way you want to be having a FUT at this time in your life and for that amount of hair loss. No way, no way, no way. How many grafts have you and the doctor decided on?

I am almost 21 and been losing my hair since I was 18 and have felt the misery and down times, just before I was 19 I was 100% sure I was going to get a hair transplant and doing all the research ect. Instead I choose propecia and have been on it for almost 2 years. Im not going to say that its helped a lot it hasn't. But I have been happy the majority of the time and got through it. I have choose to put off the hair transplant for a few more years that is my choice.

Anyway, I understand how you feel and how your going to do what you want to do. But my advice would be get a FUE and very minor touch ups. There is no need for a FUT.

My real advice would be get over it your hair is fine and worry about it when it becomes a real problem. But that wouldn't make a difference in how you feel or what you want to do.

Also if you started propecia and your hair loss is speeding up it usually means that it comes back thicker. well that's what happened with me.

But seriously in my opinion a doctor that is going to do a FUT on a head of hair like that must just enjoying slicing people open especially the fact your only 19. sounds crazy to me.

Also I don't like to see reps for clinics making statements like in the bold. That is pretty much an impossibility, every single one of the very top HT doctors in the world have procedures that don't yield well and patients that are not completely satisfied.

Indeed, it is very unethical for a rep of a recommended surgeon to claim that they have never had a bad result, I have seen bad Path results on here.

I think that it would be a mistake to have any kind of procedure, FUT or FUE. I have a friend that receded to where you are and now he is 47 with the same hairline and slight thinning in the crown. I also have a cousin that started receding at 19 and was a NW7 by the time he was 23. This is what makes surgery at your age so risky. The most dangerous thing is that any doctor willing to do that hair line on you at this age would be highly suspect in my own personal opinion. Even if you do get an FUE, you are still drawing a very brave (or uninformed) line in the sand waaaaay too early in life. My advice, wait a decade and then decide where to put your hairline.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

My real advice would be get over it your hair is fine and worry about it when it becomes a real problem. But that wouldn't make a difference in how you feel or what you want to do.

Also if you started propecia and your hair loss is speeding up it usually means that it comes back thicker. well that's what happened with me.

But seriously in my opinion a doctor that is going to do a FUT on a head of hair like that must just enjoying slicing people open especially the fact your only 19. sounds crazy to me.

I am sorry, but that I will not. Getting over it solves nil. That's just ignoring one's obvious problems, and of course solves not a thing. Still, thanks for showing care.

I think that it would be a mistake to have any kind of procedure, FUT or FUE. I have a friend that receded to where you are and now he is 47 with the same hairline and slight thinning in the crown. I also have a cousin that started receding at 19 and was a NW7 by the time he was 23. This is what makes surgery at your age so risky. The most dangerous thing is that any doctor willing to do that hair line on you at this age would be highly suspect in my own personal opinion. Even if you do get an FUE, you are still drawing a very brave (or uninformed) line in the sand waaaaay too early in life. My advice, wait a decade and then decide where to put your hairline.

This I cannot do.

I will venture, be it foolhardy or not.

I may be one of the unlucky one's or I may not.

I wish not to squander any more time, worrying about my hair, it's appearance, density and the like. It saddens me, having to look like this in my early (upcoming) twenties.

If body hair is made use of, there will be no scars (on my head at least).

If more transplants were to be required, I would literally have a "close to" endless supply.

I will ask this of Dr. Path. No matter which way the wind blows, I will follow this through.