19 Years of age: Norwood 2-3 (is there anybody out there).

About me:

Sex: Male.

Hairloss: At the temples, thinning/balding/receding. A Norwood 2-3.

Hello.

I have for some time now, been experiencing issues regarding loss of hair and thinning at the temples.

It all started somewhere around 1 year and 10 months ago, and it has not progressed all too much since.

Only hairloss and thinning of hair at the temples, and no visible loss or thinning at the crown, mind you.

I've gone and ordered both "Finasterida" as well as "Rogaine Foam (Minoxidil 5%), from propecia-proscar.com (is this a legit company?). Sorry if I'm not allowed to post links, but I just felt the need to. I am NOT here to sell anyone anything.

"Finasterida" is a generic type, am I right? Can I expect it to have the same effect as the original one (Propecia)?

Does this seem like an apt regimen?

Approximately how long would you reckon it to take, before I see some noteworthy results?

Is this a good age for me to start treating and potentially regrowing some hair?

Am I likely to see new growth, if so, how long? 1 year?

I've read that one ought not have a hair transplant done at so young a age, rather wait another 10 years or so (in my case). What say you?

NOTA BENE: I will be tracking and updating the whole process. Before I begin, I will be supplying my fellow unfortunate comrades with a couple of photographies of my "situation".

You have my thanks!

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue has you bro, it's good that your started early on fisteride unlike I did. I first noticed around 18 senior year of high school and didn't do anything about it until 3 years later. I am a norwood 2-3ish too. I don't know about the website your getting it from, but I go to walmart because its cheaper, like $45. I've heard not to get a transplant at a young age too. You want to wait until you are sure that your hair isn't receeding less and that you've been on finsteride for about a year, i'm 22 and I plan on getting mine sometime in a year of 2.

I'm currently taking the generic Finsteride brand also while taking rogaine foam 5% monoxidil. The first 4 months is the shedding phase, its going to freak you out but stick with it. The shedding phase is the "shock" reaction to the amount of DHT to your hair (which causing you to bald). I've on6.5 months using finsteride+ rogaine and i'm noticing a lot of changes to my hair, my hair is much stronger, a lot of the weak hairs fell out and is growing stronger and healthier hairs. You should notice major results probably in a year, as so i'm told, so unfortunately its a waiting game.

Some tips from me is to cut your hair short, longer hairs have a tendacy to fall out easier. Don't wear tight hats, don't smoke pot (causes hair lose), and get on a healthy diet if you aren't already. Take supplements like biotin, its cheap and helps, good luck!

I have the same issue has you bro, it's good that your started early on fisteride unlike I did. I first noticed around 18 senior year of high school and didn't do anything about it until 3 years later. I am a norwood 2-3ish too. I don't know about the website your getting it from, but I go to walmart because its cheaper, like $45. I've heard not to get a transplant at a young age too. You want to wait until you are sure that your hair isn't receeding less and that you've been on finsteride for about a year, i'm 22 and I plan on getting mine sometime in a year of 2.

I'm currently taking the generic Finsteride brand also while taking rogaine foam 5% monoxidil. The first 4 months is the shedding phase, its going to freak you out but stick with it. The shedding phase is the "shock" reaction to the amount of DHT to your hair (which causing you to bald). I've on6.5 months using finsteride+ rogaine and i'm noticing a lot of changes to my hair, my hair is much stronger, a lot of the weak hairs fell out and is growing stronger and healthier hairs. You should notice major results probably in a year, as so i'm told, so unfortunately its a waiting game.

Some tips from me is to cut your hair short, longer hairs have a tendacy to fall out easier. Don't wear tight hats, don't smoke pot (causes hair lose), and get on a healthy diet if you aren't already. Take supplements like biotin, its cheap and helps, good luck!

Excellent! I thank you.

I've already gone and ordered the Finasterida and Minodixidil 5% (from propecia-proscar.com - ever heard of this company? I read that it first started out as "HairSave International", or some such...), no matter.

They say Finasterida (sounds latin-american) is a generic version of the drug Finasteride. Certainly hope I am not amiss, having to waste another year on some counterfeit nonsense, but I do believe it is of the authentic kind.

Norway is my motherland (and where I currently live), so Walmart would not be an option. Henceforth, I will have to require drugs the "illegal way" ( the laws of my country prohibits the import of drugs such as, without a prescription, but I care not, considering the price for this very drug where I live, is far too steep for my liking). Will be receiving the wares in a matter of weeks, that is, IF I am fortunate enough, without the customs ceasing it.

I will of course be posting photographies; BEFORE, DURING & AFTER.

I will however not be buzzing nor shortening my hair at all. Its taken me

far too long growing it out, and I refuse to have to do so again.

For your support, I am grateful. Stay tuned!

Does smoking pot really make you lose your hair or is that an old wives tale?

I know not. Perchance it thins the follicles, speeds up the shedding, or something like that.

I, personally, abstain from smoking, drinking and the like.

It will ne'er do me any good anyway.

Sometime ago, I was thinking of getting myself a Hookah, but decided not to, considering the condition of my hair.

Take not chances where they need not be taken.

I could certainly see a correlation between accelerated hairloss and regular smoking of cigarettes due to the effects on blood and air flow. The same could be said on cigars(which I have quit), marijuana(never done), hookah etc in excess amounts.

My Brother is 57 and still smokes pot and cigarettes everyday (Pot head) Has a full head of hair but face is aging badly.....

Im 56 drink wine and rarely smoke pot (More of a alcoholic) Balding most my life but skin looks a lot younger then my brother.

I think smoking ages you more then anything (not sure)

My point is , I see bums that never wash their hair an drink and smoke and have a great beard and head of hair...I think its all hereditary

Last thing, lets say you smoke and are getting older, If it made you lose hair it sure doesn't apply to your body, nose or ears. Why?

My Brother is 57 and still smokes pot and cigarettes everyday (Pot head) Has a full head of hair but face is aging badly.....

Im 56 drink wine and rarely smoke pot (More of a alcoholic) Balding most my life but skin looks a lot younger then my brother.

I think smoking ages you more then anything (not sure)

My point is , I see bums that never wash their hair an drink and smoke and have a great beard and head of hair...I think its all hereditary

Last thing, lets say you smoke and are getting older, If it made you lose hair it sure doesn't apply to your body, nose or ears. Why?

As of now, I am (so to speak) clueless.

Aye, you are right at that.

Its all individual, I presume we are all predisposed for certain things, be that balding, skin related diseases &c.

Have you heard of "propecia-proscar.com" (back in the day, it went by the name of "Hairsave International")? Just curious.

As of now, I am (so to speak) clueless.

Aye, you are right at that.

Its all individual, I presume we are all predisposed for certain things, be that balding, skin related diseases &c.

Have you heard of "propecia-proscar.com" (back in the day, it went by the name of "Hairsave International")? Just curious.

Never heard of it, But now I have to look it up...

Never heard of it, But now I have to look it up...

I find it incredibly difficult placing my trust in somewhat "shady" online companies.

Considering how long they've been around and their e-mail responses, I

decided to take my chances.

By the by, is there any way to test whether

the (Finasterida) product is authentic or not?

Does smoking pot really make you lose your hair or is that an old wives tale?

Yes, I don't know the exact medical terms but I was told by a doctor that it thins the layer where the hair is grown and can accelerate hair loss. Ever since I stop smoking pot there has been a HUGE difference of shedding, my shedding is practically back to normal and it was a bad habit that needed kicking anyways.

Also, mirror dreams, the changes of growing your hair thicker are good, its going to take a couple months to notice a difference but, it won't grow the hair on your temples back, unfortunately that's gone forever unless you get a hair transplant. Rogaine and Finasteride will help maintain the hair your already have and slow the regression of loss. You will notice your hair getting stronger and less shedding. I haven't used the drug website you are referring (proscar) but I think I may heard of a couple people from this forum using it, possibly reliable. Have you considered seeing a doctor and actually getting a prescription for finasteride? Also, if the website does work and you get it really cheap, You should let me know:p

Mirror,

While starting medications at an early stage provides the best chance of halting progressive hair loss, I really would recommend seeing a physician and undergoing a scalp evaluation before starting several medications without a prescription at age 19. Keep in mind that hair loss occurs for a variety of reasons, and it often takes a trained physician to determine precisely what's going on.

Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Minox and a shampoo that contains Nizoral like Revita or Regenepure are an excellent start for anyone to try maintain what hair they do have. Some people have reservations about Finasteride which is understandable but using Minox and a Nizoral based shampoo would be wise. Revita and Regenepure also do NOT contain SLS(Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) which is a chemical used in detergents and cleaners which is said to be harmful to the skin and hair.

Yes, I don't know the exact medical terms but I was told by a doctor that it thins the layer where the hair is grown and can accelerate hair loss. Ever since I stop smoking pot there has been a HUGE difference of shedding, my shedding is practically back to normal and it was a bad habit that needed kicking anyways.

Also, mirror dreams, the changes of growing your hair thicker are good, its going to take a couple months to notice a difference but, it won't grow the hair on your temples back, unfortunately that's gone forever unless you get a hair transplant. Rogaine and Finasteride will help maintain the hair your already have and slow the regression of loss. You will notice your hair getting stronger and less shedding. I haven't used the drug website you are referring (proscar) but I think I may heard of a couple people from this forum using it, possibly reliable. Have you considered seeing a doctor and actually getting a prescription for finasteride? Also, if the website does work and you get it really cheap, You should let me know:p

Why would you say that? I've read of many whom have had their once lost hair (on sides) grow back once again. All the hair on my sides are not gone (perhaps half), just far thinner in girth and shorter in length. I would not go as far as calling them vellus-hair. It's still in it's anagen/catagen-phase.

Once I've grown my hair out 2-4 more inches,

I reckon I'd be more than able to cover the hairloss on the sides, by pulling some hair from the back over that specific area.

By the by, (I know very well he is just a fictional character) I am aiming for something like the following (length and style-wise). Our hair is in many ways quite alike, mostly concerning the texture. I have dark brown/black (and blonde in some areas) hair.

5b32da8cec581_BaschfonRonsenburg.jpg.8e28a7dc06554abfdeab1dcf15ce729e.jpg

Mirror,

While starting medications at an early stage provides the best chance of halting progressive hair loss, I really would recommend seeing a physician and undergoing a scalp evaluation before starting several medications without a prescription at age 19. Keep in mind that hair loss occurs for a variety of reasons, and it often takes a trained physician to determine precisely what's going on.

Good luck.

I "suffer" from social phobia.

As much as I would like to go to a consultation, I could not bare to.

Still, you are of course correct in saying such.

I would fain go, but at least not for now.

Minox and a shampoo that contains Nizoral like Revita or Regenepure are an excellent start for anyone to try maintain what hair they do have. Some people have reservations about Finasteride which is understandable but using Minox and a Nizoral based shampoo would be wise. Revita and Regenepure also do NOT contain SLS(Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) which is a chemical used in detergents and cleaners which is said to be harmful to the skin and hair.

I barely ever wash my hair. Maybe once every 4th. month or so.

It makes my hair very dry and unmanageable.

Nonetheless, my thanks for the heads up (I may just heed your council).

I might very soon (November 7th.-14th.) be taking a trip to Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand - for a consulation as well as a hair transplant, if deemed fit.

The following is a citation I recite, from their website:

"Hair loss is a problem which persists throughout life. We encourage you to address the issue early... before it becomes more visible. An earlier start will allow your surgeon to camouflage the work while the transplanted hair grows in gradually and unnoticed. There are no age limits (our patients range from 21-80 years old). You don't have to wait until you stop losing hair to start. There is no magical age where hair loss stops. Doctors take into account your future hair loss, and their surgical plan makes sure you will look natural along the way. If you have been waiting for hair transplantation surgical techniques to be perfected, that time has arrived. Start counting your new growing hairs instead of those falling out."

If this is so ("there are no age limits"), I see no reason in dwelling on this grave matter any longer.

Maybe instead of fetching my medication (Propecia and Rogaine) via the most doubtful interwebs, I might as well book a consultation and a stay at their hospital, for a week or two... and get my hands on Rogaine and Propecia that way.

What say you?

How many grafts and what would the cost be, just roughly...?

My hair looks quite like the following:

Balding.jpg.8201fe18181afd2f3f3fe6a88dacfc85.jpg

Smoking weed doesn't cause hairloss, that is complete BS.

Mirror,

At 19, it is unlikely that you are a surgical candidate. I think your best bet is to see a physician (if you're willing to fly to Thailand for a consultation and potential surgery, this should be achievable), determine what is causing the hair loss, and discuss preventive medications. When the loss has stabilized in a few years, you may then be a good surgical candidate.

Frankly, I think this is the general consensus you will receive from members here on the forum.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I see.

A copy and paste off of their website:

At what age should I start hair transplantation?

Hair loss is a problem which persists throughout life. We encourage you to address the issue early... before it becomes more visible. An earlier start will allow your surgeon to camouflage the work while the transplanted hair grows in gradually and unnoticed. There are no age limits (our patients range from 21-80 years old). You don't have to wait until you stop losing hair to start. There is no magical age where hair loss stops. Doctors take into account your future hair loss, and their surgical plan makes sure you will look natural along the way. If you have been waiting for hair transplantation surgical techniques to be perfected, that time has arrived. Start counting your new growing hairs instead of those falling out.

I see.

A copy and paste off of their website:

At what age should I start hair transplantation?

Hair loss is a problem which persists throughout life. We encourage you to address the issue early... before it becomes more visible. An earlier start will allow your surgeon to camouflage the work while the transplanted hair grows in gradually and unnoticed. There are no age limits (our patients range from 21-80 years old). You don't have to wait until you stop losing hair to start. There is no magical age where hair loss stops. Doctors take into account your future hair loss, and their surgical plan makes sure you will look natural along the way. If you have been waiting for hair transplantation surgical techniques to be perfected, that time has arrived. Start counting your new growing hairs instead of those falling out.

The clinic states that there is no true age limit, but then lists the youngest patient age they've worked on as 21 (which is two years older than you are now). While technically there is no true age "limit" for hair transplant surgery, performing surgery at a young age on a person with progressive hair loss often results in a disappointing and unnatural appearance down the road. If you are convinced that you would like to have surgery at this point in time. I at least suggest undergoing several consultations with different physicians. However, I still think my above advice stands.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck.

I turn 20 on November 15th.

I will be making the trip, on either November 1st. or November 7th, to "Bodyline Patient Care" in Bangkok, Thailand.

I will be providing this thread with photos, videos and a potential interview with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, if feasible.

Nota bene: I've been in contact with "Bodyline Patient Care" via e-mail, and they asked of me to send them photographies of my hairloss/thinning/receding, and so I did.

A response is to be expected, by this eventide. I will be documenting my voyage, mind you.