My hair transplant with Dr. Umar.

Hairguy350

people sign the paperwork in such a way that he absolves his clinic from taking any responsibility regardless of results.

This part is true. That is why forums like this are so very important. It's great that this is being addressed. It shows that discussion is possible and gives the patient more of a voice. Maybe it was just one of the many great HT that Dr. Umar does that for one reason or another just did not work out very well. It doesn't lessen any of his other great results, but it is important to address.

Hairguy350 came to my clinic for surgery in January. More than one month before surgery, the consent forms were sent to him to review and sign. He signed them on December 12, 2012. HG indicated that he wanted an "aggressive hairline."

On January 10, 2013, HG came to the clinic for 2 days of surgery. Prior to the start of the first surgery, I discussed with Hairguy the placement of his new hairline. He was of a clear mind and in full control, he was not sedated. On that day, and during the subsequent day of surgery, he never voiced one complaint about his hairline.

On June 4th HG informed me that he cannot wait for his transplant to grow in. He informs me that he has been diagnosed with two mental disorders (not caused by his hair transplant) that are affecting him. I sent him a message of sympathy and support in lieu of his revelation. While I am sympathetic and supportive of his efforts to find peace of mind, the bottom line is you have to wait a year and allow all of your grafts the time necessary to grow and to mature to a cosmetically pleasing look.

On June 11th, I am told by HG, for the first time, that his hairline is too low. He tells me he wants to remove his hairline and wants a refund.

Some time thereafter, HG informed me that in addition to having non- surgical procedures (Lasers) he is also having surgeries to have his grafts removed. He confirmed later on that he is now a patient of a doctor in Alpharetta, Georgia.

If HG had told me, prior to surgery, that he could only wait 6 months for his transplant to fully manifest, I would have declined to work on him. If a patient from another doctor came to see me at 6 months or less post-op, with a complaint about their transplant result, I would refer him back to his doctor and advise him that you must wait at least 12 months to be able to evaluate the result.

P.S. HG wanted me to mention that I am not a psychologist.

• Like 1

Hairguy350 came to my clinic for surgery in January. More than one month before surgery, the consent forms were sent to him to review and sign. He signed them on December 12, 2012. HG indicated that he wanted an "aggressive hairline."

On January 10, 2013, HG came to the clinic for 2 days of surgery. Prior to the start of the first surgery, I discussed with Hairguy the placement of his new hairline. He was of a clear mind and in full control, he was not sedated. On that day, and during the subsequent day of surgery, he never voiced one complaint about his hairline.

On June 4th HG informed me that he cannot wait for his transplant to grow in. He informs me that he has been diagnosed with two mental disorders (not caused by his hair transplant) that are affecting him. I sent him a message of sympathy and support in lieu of his revelation. While I am sympathetic and supportive of his efforts to find peace of mind, the bottom line is you have to wait a year and allow all of your grafts the time necessary to grow and to mature to a cosmetically pleasing look.

On June 11th, I am told by HG, for the first time, that his hairline is too low. He tells me he wants to remove his hairline and wants a refund.

Some time thereafter, HG informed me that in addition to having non- surgical procedures (Lasers) he is also having surgeries to have his grafts removed. He confirmed later on that he is now a patient of a doctor in Alpharetta, Georgia.

If HG had told me, prior to surgery, that he could only wait 6 months for his transplant to fully manifest, I would have declined to work on him. If a patient from another doctor came to see me at 6 months or less post-op, with a complaint about their transplant result, I would refer him back to his doctor and advise him that you must wait at least 12 months to be able to evaluate the result.

P.S. HG wanted me to mention that I am not a psychologist.

Thank you for shedding light on this situation.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

On January 10, 2013, prior to ever seeing Dr. Umar his nurse gave me a cocktail of pre-operative pills that unknown to me at the time contained the diazepam, and Tylenol with codeine along with all the other medications transcribed from my medical record from my first post. These were given prior to surgery, in fact prior to ever entering the operating room, and are what impaired my judgment in the operating room. Therefore, when Dr. Umars supposed conversation happened I was under the influence of sedatives as previously stated. Furthermore, I have already detailed the details of the supposed conversation that transpired, and it can hardly be called a conversation, but I will gladly detail it again if you would like. Although I can only talk about what happened before I passed out from the medications prior to Dr. Umar drawing his surgical design on my head, after which he claims I gave consent to while impaired on the medications him and his staff administered in oral and IM forms. I have no recollection of ever giving consent to what he drew due to the medications though.

I had an issue with the lowness and straightness of the hairline from day one when I saw it in the mirror. However, I was not quick to rush to judgment or action because I am a methodical person, and hair transplants take time to come to fruition. Therefore, I tried to make the best of it and convince myself everything was ok even though everyone echoed the same issues I noticed with the hairline.

Over time as I realized how wrong the things were that had transpired were. I have found cases in California that have set a precedence for medical battery and professional negligence, of which this case meets the same criteria along with the violation of California Civil Code section 3333.2

"Professional negligence" means a negligent act or omission to

act by a health care provider in the rendering of professional

services, which act or omission is the proximate cause of a personal

injury or wrongful death, provided that such services are within the

scope of services for which the provider is licensed and which are

not within any restriction imposed by the licensing agency or

licensed hospital.

I was diagnosed with depression, which was brought on by my unsightly appearance that does not make me crazy that makes me normal. It is normal to not be happy with your appearance when you look like my attached photos. Would you be happy? Furthermore, I sought treatment at the VA for my multiple tours of duty in Africa, Iraq, and Afghanistan from 2002-2013. PTSD is an unrelated psychological condition, but it is a subjective disorder with varying symptoms that cannot be quantified by inexperienced dermatologists. Dr. Umars implication is that I am crazy. I am very much competent and sane. I still possess a government security clearance, and have scholarship offers for graduate school. Dr. Umars implications are nothing more than a passive-aggressive ad hominem logical fallacy.

The issue here is the improper use of medications, lack of consent due to impairment from medications, and the overall poor design. It would have done no good to wait any longer because no amount of hair can growing or regrafting can change a straight 5cm hairline.

ca8238c3http://postimg.org/image/j4u9gdzkz/3594aca1/http://postimg.org/image/ipykb1tif/696844e5/

• Like 1

6 months is way to early to judge a result or have more work done, however looking at the first pic that might not be that relevant to your concerns because that does not look like quality work I would expect from Dr. Umar.

Like tacolino asked, how many months post op are you in the first pic and also is that first pic before or after you started have laser or any additional work performed on the area?

concern here is not only hairguy complaining about results why dr umar gives so much of medicine and why he make patient pass out

nurse gives oral sedatives and then dr umar talks about hair line and then says that patient goes to other doctor.

I would say if hairguy was wrong about anything he would have never came back after bill has locked the thread but thanks to bill that he listen to both sides and he has open the thread

Hair guy is posting pic and he has reasoning to his concerns.I have been saying this before also when i read on other forum and brought this issue here why DR UMAR GIVES SO MUCH OF SEDATIVES.hair guy can you tell me one more thing does dr umar gives preop picture right after surgeryr he keeps it with himself and gives at later stage. i have read that after surgery he does not come on phone at all and ask patient to contact him by email only. he replies to his mail not same day sometime after many days. o. I am curious to know.

He informs me that he has been diagnosed with two mental disorders (not caused by his hair transplant) that are affecting him.

Dr. Umar, I honestly don't know why you would share this very personal information about one of your patients online.

Dr. Umar, I honestly don't know why you would share this very personal information about one of your patients online.

While it may seem to be vindictive, it is important to lay all of ones cards on the table, especially if someone is making such damaging accusations against your business and against you personally.

For starters, someone in his frame of mind is potentially not only going to be unhappy with his result, it is also possible this patient asked for, and received, a hairline placement of his own design, then after 6 months did not like his own suggestion for hairline placement, and decided to blame it on Dr. Umar, and then accusing the doctor of taking advantage of him while he was "passed out", which, on its face, really makes no sense.

Around 6 months ago there was a London based poster in his 40's.on here with a full head of hair and a slightly receding hairline, which was not visible in pictures until he pulled his hair back in the photos. This poster came online to complain that his "hair loss" was ruining his life, even to the point he no longer had a social life because of concerns over his hair. There was simply no way his completely normal looking hair should be responsible for these feelings, but he projected his personal problems onto a receding hairline and in 2 months was on his way to the U.S. for a hair transplant.

The point is, someone's frame of mind is very relevant, and often times not necessarily grounded in reality. If someone attacks you both personally and professionally, it is only fair to be able to defend yourself with any and all relevant information related to your accuser.

How old is the very first picture of the hairline? Has there been any extraction of the grafts by the other Doctor in Georgia in that photo or is that just Umar's work? I will comment further once these questions are answered.

While it may seem to be vindictive, it is important to lay all of ones cards on the table, especially if someone is making such damaging accusations against your business and against you personally.

For starters, someone in his frame of mind is potentially not only going to be unhappy with his result, it is also possible this patient asked for, and received, a hairline placement of his own design, then after 6 months did not like his own suggestion for hairline placement, and decided to blame it on Dr. Umar, and then accusing the doctor of taking advantage of him while he was "passed out", which, on its face, really makes no sense.

Around 6 months ago there was a London based poster in his 40's.on here with a full head of hair and a slightly receding hairline, which was not visible in pictures until he pulled his hair back in the photos. This poster came online to complain that his "hair loss" was ruining his life, even to the point he no longer had a social life because of concerns over his hair. There was simply no way his completely normal looking hair should be responsible for these feelings, but he projected his personal problems onto a receding hairline and in 2 months was on his way to the U.S. for a hair transplant.

The point is, someone's frame of mind is very relevant, and often times not necessarily grounded in reality. If someone attacks you both personally and professionally, it is only fair to be able to defend yourself with any and all relevant information related to your accuser.

Correct. All cosmetic surgeons consider mental health. For example, a breast enhancement doc is going to want to know whether his potential patient is suffering from depression, and if so, is he or she receiving treatment for it. Why, because we (I) tend to blame others for our decisions thus making it about ourselves. I use myself as an example. I have major depressive disorder, but I am on meds and have received therapy, so I am in a good place and I am able to deal with problems now after asked for and receiving help.

I do agree with the others, six months is to soon to judge this hairline. It needs to be grown out so a proper assessment can be done. Are these pix after the OP went to another clinic afterwards? I am not clear on this.

Finally, I will say that this story about passing out does not make any sense at all. A world class surgeon like Dr. Umar has no need to use such back room techniques, and the fact is people fly in from all around the world to be worked on by him. At this point in his career, he does not even need to solicit work. His schedule is jam packed from morning to night.

I have to run and get ready to go make a living. I will slurp down some coffee and hit the door running. :)

Good day gents,

Atticus :)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

How old is the very first picture of the hairline? Has there been any extraction of the grafts by the other Doctor in Georgia in that photo or is that just Umar's work? I will comment further once these questions are answered.

That is what I was wondering too. Do you have any immediate post-op pics Hairguy? I'd be interested to see how it looked immediately after transplanting (design, density etc).

Also, by the furrows on your forehead it'd appear you're raising your eyebrows a bit, which can significantly minimize the height of one's forehead. I should know cause I employ a subtle variation as one of my neutral expressions to do just that.

With all that said, the placement does seem way too low and straight. Need more info before commenting further.

That is exactly what I wanted to know after I saw the photo. If that first pic is of his hair from Umar before any laser or extraction work then there is a serious problem here.

I think Dr. Umar should probably post all post-op photos he has, as should the op.

That is exactly what I wanted to know after I saw the photo. If that first pic is of his hair from Umar before any laser or extraction work then there is a serious problem here.

I think Dr. Umar should probably post all post-op photos he has, as should the op.

Indeed... I want to comment but will refrain until confirmation from both parties as I have alot to say...

Is't this a "two way street"? Or do you think this forum should be a "one way street" where a patient can make outrageous claims online about a respected doctor, and the doctor should not not respond online with what he belives are facts that may refute the charges?

Why should a patient be able to make outrageous online claims basically claiming the "doctor drugged me beyond accepted levels and then offered my consultation" and the doctor can not respond online even after given permission to discuss.....because it's "personal information"?

per Bill: "After several back and forth emails, Hairguy350 has given Dr. Umar full permission to discuss his case openly, minus any identifying information. Thus, I am re-opening this topic for discussion"

Why are we afraid to fully hear both sides and rush to judge the doctor when he offers some balance to the discussion?

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Strongly disagree that unveiling such a personal and sensitive medical information is just "fair game".

Are you kidding me? Surely the doctor can present his side of the case in a more professional manner than character assassination due to a bad review on the internet. Anyone running a business can relate to the frustration of a bad review gone public but this is absolutely NOT the way to counter.

Guys,

Dr. Umar is entitled to share whatever information he feels is relevant to the case. The fact that Hairguy was diagnosed with depression (which he admitted in an earlier post) may or may not be at least party related to his decision to have grafts excised at only 6 months post-op. Hairguy's identity is confidential. Thus, the information surrounding his case is simply information.

I will be following up with Dr. Umar to see if he has any of his own photos he can post followed by an explanation of the photos Hairguy has posted and comments about which medications he gives prior to surgery.

Please do understand however, that patients have varying reactions to medication. It is typical for some patients to fall asleep during surgery while others will stay awake while feeling a bit more relaxed. At any time, patients may refuse certain medication and should certainly ask about what they're being given if they don't know. As of now, I don't see any reason to believe that Dr. Umar over-medicated Hairguy or anyone for that matter. However, I would like to learn more about the medication he administers and perhaps consult with a few other leading surgeons on this.

Best wishes,

Bill

Strongly disagree that unveiling such a personal and sensitive medical information is just "fair game".

But it's fair game for a patient to imply/claim a doctor drugged him beyond accepted levels and acted in a reckless manner?

Why does only one side get to be "personal" by calling into question a doctors ethics and imply the doctor acted reckless? Why the "one way" street?

If it is indeed true the patient has been diagnosed with mental disorders why should that be off-limits as part of the reason this patient is possibly making outrageous claims?

But it's fair game for a patient to imply/claim a doctor drugged him beyond accepted levels and acted in a reckless manner?

It is fair game because that is relevant to the exact reason we are all here. First of all, all us HR clients are "drugged" and to what is considered acceptable or not is outside my paygrade so I won't comment. Personally I have a high tolerance to such drugs and could have definitely used something stronger as I had a moment of high anxiety buts that's for a different thread. As far as reckless, we are talking about whether hairline was discussed either prior or after the client was medicated -that's it. Is it possible that Dr. Umar felt it was fully discussed prior while the patient sees otherwise? Absolutely.

But to bring the patients mental issues, especially in light of the fact that he is clearly a combat vet suffering from PTSD is in very poor taste in my opinion. Yes he has the right to say as he pleases in his own defense, but surely better more tasteful methods could have been considered first.

It is fair game because that is relevant to the exact reason we are all here.

Yes exactly BlackAmish....but just for the sake of the argument....totally apart from HairGuy350's case......for example what do you advise a Doctor whose reputation is being impugned by a patient that has mental problems to do when the surgeon is asked to give his side of the story and the patient has given full permission to discuss the situation? Are you denying that if a patient is suffering from mental problems that it could effect the credibility of his claims?