Dr. Mwamba using Dr. Nigam's Hair Doubling technique

HARIRI

I think regeneration is appearing less and less likely. Dr Mwamba seems (understandably) reluctant to comment on anything further at this stage. Of course its still early days but judging from the damming comments, failed cases (tom), and disappearance of patients it doesn't look great.

well, tom himself said that dr mwamba made a hair count in brussles after the de novo procedure "second one " and there was 100 % donor regeneration

but the situation regarding in vitro doubling is confusing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

In hair cycle the resting phase or telogen phase last from 2 to 6 months

It means after a surgery you should expect to see the first growth around 3 months up to 6 months.we are within that range.

And when hair grows you need to wait up to 12 months before you declare success or not about any procedure

It is too early to jump into conclusions

We all need to be patient and request informations or update when needed

That's why I told people we need at least two years before to get some insight and draw some conclusions

Before that it will be just playing games if we are rushing into conclusions

Thank you

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

dear dr mwamba

this is dr gardner's(prof jahoda team) opinion regarding (invitro bisection method)

"The best way I could think to do this would be to isolate the DP and also the lower dermal sheath, as both of these contain cells capable of generating a new follicle, although I suppose cutting the lower region of the follicle in two would work as well.

But, this would be very time consuming and require a lot of donor material meaning in turn that it would be extremely expensive which is why I don't think anyone is going really take it further"

dear dr mwamba

this is dr gardner's(prof jahoda team) opinion regarding (invitro bisection method)

"The best way I could think to do this would be to isolate the DP and also the lower dermal sheath, as both of these contain cells capable of generating a new follicle, although I suppose cutting the lower region of the follicle in two would work as well.

But, this would be very time consuming and require a lot of donor material meaning in turn that it would be extremely expensive which is why I don't think anyone is going really take it further"

i think dr mwamba that there is a solid science behind this technique but i have a question

is applying growth factors and stem cells necessary to generate hair in the bisection method?

because the hair follicle when bisected every half has the ability to regnerate hair depending on

its own cells

Mariachi,

I've been following Dr. Gardner's responses closely - and they have been excellent - and I think he didn't quite explain one important aspect of the donor doubling process: the bulge stem cells. According to the donor doubling theory, two follicles are created from one not by separating the dermal papilla (DP) cells from the dermal sheath cup (DSC) cells, but by actually separating the DP and DSC cells together from the bulge stem cells (in the outer root sheath of the follicle). We know that, when put into the right environment, both DP and DSC cells do have the ability to create new follicles without the addition of growth factors, but we do not know if bulge stem cells can do the same. Can bulge stem cells create a new follicle without growth factors? If not, donor doubling may be difficult in certain regions (like the US) with strict restrictions on these types of injections.

What's more, Dr. Gardner wasn't overly positive about the use of growth factors in the scalp. According to Dr. Gardner (and I've felt the same way for a long time as well), injecting growth factors introduces some new level of risk because you cannot guarantee they will stay in the scalp. These factors could have serious consequences if they travel to other regions of the body and induce some sort of new growth.

So, like you said, the big question is really whether or not the bulge is capable of creating a fully functional follicle without the addition of growth factors.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

blake,

i have a question,

according to bisection method what are the stem cells in the upper half ?

because dr nigam posted a pic 3 months ago show that the upper half of bisected

follicles growing after shedding on dr nigam first patient(and i think dr mwamba saw that too)

and he (dr nigam) said that the outer root(implanted at donor) must grow new follicle

i think if follicle bisected into two parts: one part has dp cells and the another has dsc cells

it would be great idea

I will rephrase the conclusions about studies that was made in attempt to understand how the level of transection of a follicle can generate or not a new follicle ( Hair transplantation Fifth Edition Walter Unger ,Ronald Shapiro) .

MICRODISSECTION studies have demonstrated that both follicular Derma papilla and connective tissue sheet cells in adult hair follicle possess TRICHOGENICITY

MONO CULTURED derma papilla cells and CTS LOSE their trichogenic characteristics over time

AGGREGATING cultured follicular Derma papilla cells can restore TRICHOGENICITY ABILITY

CO CULTURED OF Derma papilla cells and epidermal lineage can PRESERVE trichogenicity

Growth factors and MEDIUM conditions can influence trichogenicity in vitro .

At the bulge area , you have presence of CTS cells and epidermal cells : that's why you can grow new hair when the cut is under the bulge .You have the presence of the two lineages .

The lower part has CTS + DP cells and they are trichogenic .

Why are we using GF or are we so interested in media solution?

Clinically , when you transect a hair follicle or bissect it , they tend to grow thinner .GF have tendency to proliferate cells , to improve blood supply and therefore the environment of the new follicle to come .They act like fertilizer .At the end the new follicle we are getting are as strong as the mother follicle or even stronger .Certains GF such FGF9 prolongs the anagen phase ;therefore your new follicle will live longer .We have up regulation of protein such as Beta catenin that are anti catagen ( anti apoptosis or cellular death ) .

GF promotes proliferation of DP cells and protects them from apoptosis .

They could be dangerous of course .That's why we need to be cautious about which one to use and what vehicle to use .Prp seems to be Ok but do not have all the GF .We keep working on safety according to animal model .

Media solution are also important to keep the follicle in active phase ;that's why it is so important to use products like ATP , hypothermosol and others GF.

Why adding stem cells ?

AGGREGATING CULTURED OF DP CELLS can restore trichogenicity

When we inject stem cells , they have the tendency to aggregate and stick around the existing follicle of the bisected hairs or miniaturized hairs .

Aggregation of stem cells is crucial .Failure of Hair Multiplication came from the inability of human stem cells to aggregate by themselves after in vitro culture .Which is the opposite in mice .

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

thanks dr mwamba

what about bisection of the lower part of graft as dr gardner said?

i mean , extract a follicle and bisect the lower part only into two parts ,one has dsc cells

and the another has dp cells

by the way dr mwamba , is dr nigam attending the workshop with you next month?

thanks dr

• 1 month later...

dr mwamba, i found a study that made to evaluate donor doubling rate of success

the study showed that the upper half has a 72% regeneration rate and the lower almost 70%

and there is a photo (12 months post op) in the study which shows terminal hair growing

also the caliber of the hair regenerated was finer than the original donor hair

it would be appriciated to hear your opinion dr mwamba

thank you

here is the link

Hair Regeneration from Transected Follicles in Duplicative

Surgery: Rate of Success and Cell Populations Involved

BACKGROUND The use of bisected hair follicles in hair transplantation has been previously reported,

but the capacity of each half to regenerate the entire hair has not been clarified.

OBJECTIVE To evaluate duplicative surgery rate of success and to analyze the cell populations involved

in hair regeneration.

METHODS We screened 28 patients undergoing duplicative surgery. Approximately 100 hair follicles

from each patient were horizontally bisected and implanted. Upper and lower portions were stained for

the known epithelial stem cell markers CD200, p63, b1-integrin, CD34, and K19.

RESULTS Similar percentages of hair regrowth after 12 months were observed when implanting the

upper (72.7 7 0.4%) and lower (69.2 7 1.1%) portions. Expression of CD200, p63, and b1-integrin was

detected in both portions, whereas K19 and CD34 stained different cell populations in the upper and

lower fragment, respectively.

CONCLUSION Duplicative surgery might represent a successful alternative for hair transplantation,

because both portions are capable of regenerating a healthy hair. Moreover, our results suggest the

possible presence of stem cells in both halves of the follicle.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this maybe a little off topic and maybe i should start a new thread but has any one thought about having HGH (human growth hormone) after a fue/fut? one would think it could very well help with the growth of the hairs. HGH has been used for years by loads of athletes for sports injuries or general recovery of muscles, and from what i know its fairly safe if you know what your doing with it. Im not saying people try it now ( think its illegal for a start) but wonder if theres a way a clinic could experiment with this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure this failed. A year on and seemingly no sign of any result. On the contrary, the people on various forums who have had hair doubling have had no results.

I appreciate that Dr Mwamba apparently looked into this but confirmation either way would be nice. His staff have stopped responding to emails about this.

He must know by now whether this works or not...

I'm pretty sure this failed. A year on and seemingly no sign of any result. On the contrary, the people on various forums who have had hair doubling have had no results.

I appreciate that Dr Mwamba apparently looked into this but confirmation either way would be nice. His staff have stopped responding to emails about this.

He must know by now whether this works or not...

man dr mwamba is still experimenting with this technique, he said that

he would give a confirmation by the summer of 2015

the protocols require a lot of time and we should wait

12 months after that or even longer because it is a diffrent technique

so we shouldn't disturb him, i know it is hard for waiting but dr mwamba is a trustworthy

person and he will tell us the truth

man dr mwamba is still experimenting with this technique, he said that

he would give a confirmation by the summer of 2015

the protocols require a lot of time and we should wait

12 months after that or even longer because it is a diffrent technique

so we shouldn't disturb him, i know it is hard for waiting but dr mwamba is a trustworthy

person and he will tell us the truth

He hasn't made an update since July. The last post he made regarding a test subject was this, back in April:

'He is at 5 months post op ( injection of stem cells for hair multiplication ) and so far nothing happened as far as hair growth'

So the test subject is at 11 months now; there should probably be an answer to the question over whether his hair has regenerated with doubling or otherwise. All the test candidates operated on at some point (Boldy, Tom Vercetti etc) all claim their procedures have failed at some time or other.

I want to remain optimistic, as I was a year ago, but all the evidence points to this having failed.

I hope I am wrong. I know Dr Mwamba is trustworthy and I have no intention of disturbing his work, but some kind of update would be nice so we are not in the dark

• 3 months later...

So, let me get this straight, they replace a donor hair with one of your body hair to make the donor area look less thinning? What part of the body hair will it come from? Will the replace donor hair look, feel and grow to the same length as your regular donor hair would if you were to grow it out?

bmorelaxing , the technique you are referring to is called FIT farming : replace scalp hairs donor with body hairs in order to maintain donor appearance .We usually use Body hairs from beard , chest or leg .BHT will keep their own characteristics ( caliber , color ) .We observed a change in length .they have tendency to catch up with the length of your scalp hairs .

Now , the test about hair multiplication we did in India didn't bring to much outcome .We noticed no marks in the donor area after using a bigger punch.In recipient area , it was a failure ( no hairs are growing so far ) .The informations we gathered from that case report led us to apply others protocols we are still testing ( used of fresh DP cells , growth factors ( wnt , Prp, Acell,...) .I wish I could have my own lab to culture stem cells and conduct the study on more cases .