Scalp Pigmentation/FUE

britboy

Hi everyone, Im thinking of having Scalp Pigmentation with FUE. My previous was 15 years ago strip grafts. I first had Frankenstein Dr May in London with Slit grafts a complete disaster. after much research Lathems came to my rescue. I was in Nashville singing country music at the time. 93-98. Now I am 15 years down the road and getting thin on top. Front line is looking ok still but I will have this improved. I have limited donor area so I will focus on front and crown area and a little to the side if I have enough donor. So Scalp Pigmentation to the rescue.. I am having consultations in UK in October/November and will try to report back. any info or advice is always appreciated. My GLH spray has worked well for 4 years but Im fed up of brown pillow cases.. SP might do the trick to assist the coverage and darken the thinner areas. I will never have a full head of hair until they discover the gene for hair growth, but I think I can always be presentable. I'm 54 years old now and when i spend a little time on my hair it still looks great and not many people know Ive had procedures. Or they don't tell me :-) Check my profile out for photos - Any spell errors Sorry typed this fast

IMAG1533.jpg.49db94f5933e2dfdc19674c896084bae.jpg

IMAG1549.jpg.b3d89174fb0134b04235fcf91ea8cace.jpg

I haven't personally made up my mind on smp yet.

Have you considered a megasession for the front 1/2 to 2/3?

Maybe you could consider an in-person consultation with Dr Farjo or Dr. Lorenzo to see what they say.

Do you have any pics from 15 years ago?

Honestly, I consider myself lucky that I did not go to Lathems. Last I checked they were using outdated techniques. Basically miniplugs called the "remove the bald" procedure. Back then it may have been acceptable, but today, that is in the dark ages. I would do some more research and find the right doctor. You kind of have a large are to cover and a limited number of grafts.

I would consider FUT and have one last big strip with Hasson and Wong, Konior, or SMG if it were me and your donor would allow it. If you are stuck on FUE, the best in the business is right there in London now, Dr. Lorenzo.

Do you research and look at Latham's website and procedure. There is a reason that the charge a few bucks a graft. (This is based on what they were doing 3 years ago when I began researching.)

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Well thanks for this, it really helps, Yes 15 years ago Lathams were better than many, but times have moved on, Maybe I could have one last strip and then after see where it take me. I do have a large area to cover and I am quite sure I do not have enough donor area for density. Thats why I am looking at SP, but for sure I will see Dr Farjo and Hasson and Wong, Konior.. thank you. PS, I have many photos in my profile of the recent position, I will dig out some early photos after and during procedure at lathams, but at least they corrected Frankensteins work Dr May, maybe he has improved now, but I certainty would not trust him again..

Edited by britboy

My posts on SMP have been up-and-down, sometimes I trash it, sometimes I love it, but just saying I have come to realize why - SMP accentuates the hairline, and it blew away my illusion that I was carrying off the buzz from a hairline perspective, when the shading that SMP afforded, really showed me how ugly and deluded I was. So here is my big tip for anyone considering an SMP-FUE combo and a short hair style.

Hairline, hairline, hairline!!

Get the hairline right. (with real hair - absolutley don't let the spray-paint that SMP on your head so that it IS your hairline) but the SMP will help immensely with thin areas behind the hairline

With graft placement, don't necessarily do the traditional high conservative hairline that clinics and techs always preach (for good reason) SMP changes the equation, the real-estate you can cover with hair, the relative densities required in different areas etc. Saying that, have a back-up, so if it went skin tone (say u didn't like it and wanted to laser it off, or say you want only temporary, but you are aware that a two-year cycle will barely give you 6 months of 'ideal tone', then make sure you would be comfortable with the layout of hair in a natural thinned out buzz so familiar to us all.

You don't have to be as conservative in harversting. I can get away with just 30/cm in my donor with light SMP. Clinics are loathe to tell you this, and they would be taking a risk in doing so. Not to mention that they deliberately restrict FUE anyway.

I got very light permanent SMP. I loved it, then hated it, now i like it again. Why, because I've just corrected my hairline with an HT (again) I seriously didn't think I had any donor left, and yet it seems I do.

So look into it, carefully. The temp solution is awkward IMO, because it will be half gone in 12 months and what kind of base does that give you to work with?

but if you go elsewhere, don't go deep and don't let them spray paint a hairline for you. Get the hair growing right first. It doesn't have to be dense, just enough to mess up the light as it hits your scalp to create texture.

That's what I think now. but tread carefully. Stay away from the obvious bad loud clinics, and don't go deep.

fueonly,

I like your name, it is very sensible.

i am not going to recommend a clinic to you or anyone. i am not going to post pictures. (of course I have my price:p - price over pride, (teach your children!)

They are all unprofessional and ridiculous, but they can help. It is up to you to make up for their lack of scruples, their willingness, their ignorance, their bluster.

TempSMP is like mini-golf with nice colors but can give you a glimpse

Perm is dangerous and monochrome but can be a sensible option too

Check out their ink. They will give nothing away, so at least find out how responsive it is to a q-Switch laser. Ask them to show you examples! Of course I say this like I am a general standing in my tank (with pipe), come consultation time i am a pussy begging for its milk.

My stuff about the hairline is correct IMO! :) They will say, meh! We'll do a conservative hairline and you can revise it, no problem! Without enough hair there, this is BS from your point of view. All you can do is make it worse (lower) and make their bank accounts better not to mention give them one more sucker to add to the list of we've done 'thousands' .

Unfortunately, the first big clinics all either disappoint or alarm here in the states. Maybe they have learned a lesson or two, but the money is still there and we are lining up, so I don't expect much change until a bigtime court case busts it all up.

In Israel, you could do worse than contact the well- advertised SMP training school there and start asking questions. Maybe take a short course! You could be back here advertising in weeks! And abusing me for being a cynic!

Seriously, SMP can help, I just say, don't go too deep. Asking them how deep is a limited but necessary question. Everyone's epidermis (first layer) of skin varies in depth across the scalp, not to mention from person to person. A skilled hand will fire a few rounds off, whilst doing a bit of deduction, getting the familiar vibe, listening to the buzz and watching the ink spread and then determining whether or not they should adjust. But if they are brought up in a culture of deeper penetration, (not a sex-cult) they'll have different bench-marks, so it is good to ask say, is your depth different from the other guys.

Ive heard horror stories and some good stories about Vinci Hairs clinic in London? Any one knows anything about them. I am having consultations with Dr Farjo Clinic and HIS for MSP, I will consider all advice and options before having any surgery. As mentioned above I have had a lot of surgery already but its old and outdated, I definitely need my hairliine repaired, whilst it is acceptable, 15 years on, Im sure techniques have improved and I understand that Dr Farjo team are the best, My main focus is always the hair line, the rest can be filled somehow. I know I dont have enough donor to cover everything, so MSP will be possibly the extra I need to at least give an illusion of coverage, but a good hairline as mentioned is definitely the first priority...

Other highly recommended surgeons in UK would be much appreciated.

There is an option depending on costs of course to fly to USA - Hasson and Wong and have work done there, depends on the balance of costs. As yet in UK there are precious few super surgeons that can be relied on...Dr May when I had surgery was not one of them (at least from my experience) and Lathams did a reasonable repair and additional work when I was in USA. Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming...;)

I don't know anything about him. If I were in London, I would consider Farjo of you do a strip, but dont rule out Bisanga, Feriduni, Lorenzo, Koray, or Hankan.

Not sure how much a flight is from London to Turkey but the price difference may make up for the flight. If price is not an issue, you have many many options, the best probably being one last big strip from a top clinic, or a couple of FUE sessions from Lorenzo.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hello and thank you for your informative opinion, I will certainly meet with Dr farjo or his and his team...I feel that this may be the option for me... especially as he is local, (UK) based. I will continue with some consultations first with different suregeons as you suggest where possible. I'm not in a hurry but would like to move forward with new procedures and if possible MSP, in case I dont have enough donor for full procedure which I am sure I do not. :o

I'm being drawn to FUE because of the minimal scaring and fine directional insertions I'm hearing about from top surgeons. I have about 3/4000 available donor and 1000 or so beard and body hair for the crown area/ I will have the hairline improved with single hairs from nape of neck to give a softer look. I will then consider MSP to darken any thinning areas. This is my possible direction so far. Now having serious consultations and will proceed within 3 months, if all goes well.

I'm being drawn to FUE because of the minimal scaring

This is not really accurate. FUE creates quite a bit of scarring, it's just not a linear scar. Not trying to dissuade you from having FUE, but you should be aware of this.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I'm being drawn to FUE because of the minimal scaring..

This is not really accurate.

This IS really accurate. it is 100% bonafide, pure, God'd truth accurate!!

HT is a cosmetic procedure. FUE produces less cosmetic scarring because the micro dots blend in with pixelated effect of the follicles. Like scattering holes in a lawn of grass as opposed to getting a plough and scoring a straight line from one end to the other through the center of it.

It is the reason people are drawn to FUE and it is the righ, and indeed the only reason.

Even the idea that one patient was swung toward strip even 1%, on account of the reasoning that FUE creates more scarring makes my blood boil. And yes, I know, it was one of Dr. Feller's favorites! - a bit like that spurious image conjured up by terms like scar confluence. (those were the days, FUE terror campaign)

I have no issue with strip being easier for the clinic, the techs and having a higher yield because of it and I am quite sure that FUE extraction causes carnage untold, but the 'more scarring' argument is really a dog that needs to be put down IMO.

scar5, I did not say it created more cosmetic scarring than strip. But you are creating scar tissue by punching thousands of tiny holes into the scalp. I was not trying to terrify him. I was pointing out a simple fact. I have had both strip and FUE, and have stated that the recovery from FUE was a cakewalk compared to strip. So chill.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Many thanks for continued dialogue. I value all comments and will consider all help, I am not qualified to judge any ones opinion apart from my own experiences.. Not having seen any real life operations with FUE, I still like the idea.

Considering my first experience with Dr May (Frankenstein) in London 18 years ago with Slit grafts, ending up having to have them repaired by Lathams (Dr Schory) in Huntsville, I dont think things could have been more worrying at the time, 5-6 hairs growing from one slit clumped together etc and 100's of slits, looking worse than a doll, the Dr should be struck off, plus there was a bad scar, partially corrected by Lathams, but I was saved at least in part by Lathams, (thank you) but, I do have a linear scar which is almost acceptable, very long but doe snot show with hair over it, but its there as anyone would expect, (maybe SMP can hide it also). I will try to post it (the scar) later, I am still drawn to the possibility of FUE, especially as they can extract beard hairs too! I do hope that the scars (if any from beard extraction are imperceptible... views on this beard extraction would be appreciated also.

Edited by britboy

P.S, Im also considering at the same time to add some eyebrow reconstruction FUE, as I lost both sides of my eyebrows (not all hairs but a lot) some years ago while I had some eyelid surgery 2003, sorry if I sound like Michael Jackson but the work I had was very subtle, but my eye lids had a lot of extra skin which over hung and made me look tired, now I feel great and my eyes look great given my age. Had it done on the border in Mexico - I was a risk taker but it worked out well and the surgeon was Excellent. However after the surgery I lost some eyebrow because of shock, so I have a surgeon in mind who can do this in Europe, hair will probably be taken from my chest or below belly button and along with my hair FUE from nape of neck, back of head and beard if all goes well.

Edited by britboy

• 2 weeks later...

I am having FUE work to cover balding area, as discussed in some posts, Aftar I have my FUE, I will almost certainly look at SMP in order to reduce noticability of thinning areas. I doubt I have enough donor to cover my entire balding area. It will be close but not enough, so I will opt for SMP.

Does SMP work better with shorter or longer hair? I am inclined to wear my hair medium length, not absolutely short, but if SMP works better with shorter hair I will look at cutting my hair to suit. I personally dont suit ultra short hair cut, but letting it grow out slightly will do the trick.

Just trying to get some info on how SMP (black or monochrome) would look on shorter hair. My hair hair colour is dark brown.

I plan FUE before Christmas 2013 if all goes well. 3000+ Hairs and 1500 beard. Possibly another 1000 beard later. Hope this will work well ready for some SMP.

• 2 weeks later...

NOT HAPPY:

I sent an email to Dr. Koray ERDOGAN - -I got this reply in first instance on 20/09/2013 12:03.

"Dear Mr.

Thank you for your e-mail and interest to our clinic. Please do send 3 clear photos including your donor ( one from front, one from top and one from back side / donor area) of yours with your telephone number so Dr. Koray ERDOGAN could share his professional opinion with you.

Best Regards,

Secretary -Pinar G.

Asmed/Istanbul-TURKEY"

I've since sent 5 or so emails with images from 20/09/2013 12:03.

As of to date I have not received 1 reply from Dr. Koray ERDOGAN or secretary.

I am extremely disappointed and feel as though I do not even wish to follow my inquiries up with them now. Very disappointing.