GYM / beach after HT

And especially keep the recipient area covered while in direct sunlight. Some docs want their patients to keep the recipient area covered in sun for up to nine months post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm not sure rubbing sunblocker in the recipient area is a good shout, especially in the initial weeks following a HT. Best to keep the area clean as possible, and keep away from any products not recommended by the doc in the aftercare instructions.

The gyms tough because working out naturally gives you more confidence, and when you are going through the 'ugly duckling' stage you want to do a bit. Try to avoid raising the blood pressure as you don't want to complicate the donor. Start steady with light cardio or something. Follow your chosen docs advice.

Its a means to an end ;)

Congrats on the HT. I'm 5 weeks post-op, myself (2nd HT).

You're okay to get back to some cardio approximately 2 weeks post-op, once your sutures or staples have been removed. I'd keep it light at first (perhaps 20-30 minutes per day) and increase it once you've reached 1 month post-op. Avoid weight lifting and crunches until 1 month post-op. If your surgeon is local, you may want to make a quick visit for a scar check before resuming weights or crunches.

I was planning on getting to the beach a few weeks post-op, but the weather here was horrible so that didn't happen. However, my doc told me that I would have been fine swimming without my hat for 20 minutes at a time, with some high SPF sunblock sprayed onto my scalp. When I had my first HT the previous year, I was at the beach 3 months post-op and did as described. The results were pretty successful. I did read a story about a patient who experienced a severe burn in the recipient and wound up with zero growth from the HT, but as long as you take proper precautions you have nothing to worry about.

It's good to get back to normal ASAP after a HT. The 'ugly duckling' phase will dominate your life if you dont get back to your normal routine quickly.

Is direct sunlight harmful to the grafts/recipient area even after 1 month? From what I've read here on this forum, as long as you don't burn the area immediately post op you should be fine.

Are most people entirely avoiding sun exposure until 6 months? Is it even possible if you are working and living a normal life?

After a month or so it is more a dis-coloring issue of the scalp rather than a problem affecting continued graft survival. Quoting Dr. Charles in past thread: Often the negetive effects of the sun have more to do with skin color and permanant redness than the transplanted follicles not growing.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156791-so-why-sunburn-bad.html

Of course, it is a good idea to wear a hat when/where possible and avoid sunburn.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

My take is...why needlessly risk those precious, highly expensive grafts? Direct sunlight exposure is okay for a few minutes, but anything beyond that and I'd be certain to spray some high-SPF sunblock onto your scalp.

If you're outside all day, yeah...definitely wear a hat. No need to avoid the beach, but be careful. I'm not sure how relaxed you could be about protecting your scalp outside of the summer, if you live in an area that experiences real changes of the seasons.

I distinctly remember reading a post on here by a doctor who mentioned an experience where a patient received a severe burn on the scalp post-op (not sure how far along the patient was, however)..and wound up with virtually zero growth. Needle in a haystack? Sure. But why take the risk when all that's involved is a little sunblock and/or a hat?