FUE without head shave - is this the future?

Has anyone on this forum had a FUE procedure without having their head shaved (or most of it)? I would be keen to hear of your experience.

I have recently read on an online version of a British newspaper that a colleague of Dr Reddy in London, Dr Thomy Kouremada-Zioga now performs what she calls U-FUE (Unshaven Follicular Unit Extraction). From the article, she charges GBP 4.00 compared to the usual GBP2.50 per FU. It is a relatively new service that they are offering, but apparently it is proving very popular.

For me this looks like a great HT solution going forward and I am really pleased to have discovered this. The clinic is well known and the price per FU is reasonable as far as London/UK clinics go.

The problem with current FUE HT procedures is that it rules out many people like me who work in certain professions and/or of a certain age who could not realistically turn up to work with a skinhead hair cut.

Does anyone believe this type of unshaven FUE procedure could catch on in other HT clinics?

Bunny,

Coalition hair transplant surgeon Dr. William Rassman performs a similar procedure. He calls it "mini FUE" or "mFUE." While it does offer some advantages with regard to "returning to normal life" quicker, keep in mind that all these grafts will still shed between day 10 and month 2. Feel free to read more here: Dr. Rassman Announces mFUE/miniFUE.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr. Hakan Doganay is doing it as well, you can ask his clinic about it. However I think its just like Rassman (Mini FUE). However I prefer shaving to maximize results.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Future_HT_Doc, HARIRI, many thanks for your responses.

It is good to know there are other top clinics offering/developing similar non-shaving HT solutions. To me the U-FUE or similar offers the best of both worlds of FUSS and FUE - it greatly improves the initial aesthetics of a HT procedure and is not so invasive as FUSS. It may mean less FUs in a single session, so may require several visits. This too can be an advantage to some people who want to have a gradual change to their hair.

No doubt there are many others like me who are planning a future HT in coming months, but do not or cannot go through with the whole head shaving routine. I hope other clinics will start to offer similar procedures soon, expanding the choice for patients.

All the things Ive read by doctors seem to suggest that yield is effected if they don't shave down. They have a harder time selecting the best hairs to use, etc.

This may, or may not be so. In any event there are pros and cons with all types of procedures. The key point here is that HT options have increased for the patient.

In any event there are pros and cons with all types of procedures. The key point here is that HT options have increased for the patient.
True. I'm glad things are moving forward and cant wait to see where we'll be in 5-10 years. It'll be a different game.