Long hair, don't want to thin on finasteride!

I'm 27 yo, have very long hair, and it's a huge part of my identity. I've recently noticed thinning between my vertex and front. I've noticed no noticable receeding at the front, but I'm extremely scared! I want to keep my hair (obviously) but I'm worried that if I start taking finasteride (actually I already have taken it for 3 days) that it will start thinning even more, and I'll have to shave my head/cut it short, which is something I really REALLY don't want to do.... Will my hair start thinning drastically if I continue? I'm starting a teaching course soon so this really has my confidence shot! How can I stand in front of a class and teach when I'm paranoid about my hair?

I'm considering also trying rogaine/minoxidil, maybe it can thicken up the thinning parts (I'd honestly be content just to keep what I've got though). Can I start on rogaine and finasteride, using rogaine to regrow hair, then drop rogaine/minoxidil and use finasteride to keep what rogaine has grown? Or will the rogaine hair fall out, even if I do stay on finasteride?

DSCF2711.jpg.1c29d5fd3b1178a6e2261b87a9d468c3.jpg

DSCF2731.jpg.facc2e1a9856a39ee2e57a483721c8ca.jpg

DSCF2859.jpg.bd7e6228e96b2cc4cc7da0dbd2c3b794.jpg

When I was looking at your pictures, it was like I was looking at my own head 3 years ago. Bad thing is I was 22 when my hair was roughly where you are now. I too cherished my long hair but the time came where it just did not look good due to how thin it was. I cut it short and believe me, it looked so much better. I think you should at least consider cutting it. (PS- my left hand side of my head is thinner than my right side as well, we are like hair twins)

Continue taking finasteride if you can tolerate it(I had sides from it which sucks) and if I were you I would add minoxidil(twice daily) and nizoral shampoo(daily). Follow this routine for at least a year and then evaluate. There is a very good chance you can thicken up the existing hair and if you do, then you can grow it long again. Also do not go off any of the medication you use since you will lose all the benefit it provided. Once you start meds, it is a lifelong decision. What you can do if you do not want to use minox forever is to try finasteride for a year and see what it does for you. If you are not pleased, add minox and continue that for a year. If you start seeing regrowth then you know minox had a positive effect and this means you need to use it as long as you want your hair.

Also I got PRP/Acell injections done. I was told by the doctors that offered them that while it may not regrow hair, it can thicken existing hair. I felt that it had a positive effect on my hair. I am only suggesting this, you don't have to do it. I might get more PRP/Acell sessions done since I don't take finasteride anymore. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply man....

Oh **** I was really hoping it wouldn't come to having to cut it... I'm definitely going to stay on the finasterde. My brother has been on it for a year and has no side effects, I'm hoping I'll be the same, and even then I think I could put up with mild to moderate sides if it meant keeping my hair...

Well I'm meeting a consultant next tuesday, hopefully they'll think finasteride is enough, I'll do anything to keep my long hair, I've cut it before and felt like ****, I just don't feel like me without it. The prospect of shedding scares me silly...

Toppik or nanogen may really be able to help you if you go through a shedding stage.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I was going to say exactly as Spanker. Go with Toppik or Nanogen. They will easily cover what you have lost.. It will probably look like you've never shed a hair in your life. Once you get out of the shedding phase, you'll be golden. Plus, you may even continue with these products as they seem to give incredible illusions of density

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Cheers Nick! I really appreciate the advice and comments guys. I was terrified (still am) about what will happen, but I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Finasteride to stop it falling out (hopefully), minoxidil (maybe) to regrow and I've just ordered a 2 month supply of nanogen that will hopefully get me through my teaching placement with some degree of confidence, and allow me to ride out the shedding phase...

Does nanogen add extra weight to your hair, and can the weight impact the follicular growth?

it won't add and noticeable weight, just volume. It you are just talking about medication use, it won't impact hair growth.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Get on all the meds and use some concealer to cover up if it temproarily thins even more. It wont get so bad that you need to cut it, and it may not even get worse at all.

In the long run that thin area will almost certainly thicken up and you'll hopefully keep your mane for many years to come

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Thanks Tommy, I hope you're right! Don't know what I'd do without all this fantastic advice, really genuinely appreciate it guys!

I'm still in two minds about whether to just stick with propecia, or try minoxidil or azelaic acid too. I know I won't have time to apply it in the mornings when I start teaching. Hopefully the proscar alone will do the trick...

Thanks Tommy, I hope you're right! Don't know what I'd do without all this fantastic advice, really genuinely appreciate it guys!

I'm still in two minds about whether to just stick with propecia, or try minoxidil or azelaic acid too. I know I won't have time to apply it in the mornings when I start teaching. Hopefully the proscar alone will do the trick...