Vogel Strip Scar

sad2

NoTakeBacks,

I decided on HRS after thinking it was almost as easy as getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist.

That's where my dumb half comes into play.

I just wanted a quarter inch on my hairline.

Sometimes I learn the hard way.

I'll post a clear post op photo of my hairline when I get a chance.

GNight

awiz2

Sad,

I'm very sorry to hear about the poor experience. If there is anything I (or any other admin) can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

However, I would like to hear Dr. Vogel's take on the situation, so I am going to email him and ask him to review the thread and reply.

Thanks.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

A scar's outcome is a gamble, very few clinics actually tell you this prior to the consent form you sign a mere hour before you are in the chair. When the scar turns out well it is posted here and/or on the surgeons website for all to see and it is all due to the surgeon's skill and advanced donor closure but when it turns out bad it 'sometimes happens' and the patient is left feeling disfigured. That part of the industry I find absolutely sickening.

To Sad2, fear not. There are solutions for you and you are in a very good position due to having minimal loss, having good donor and of 53 years of age. I would forget about a scar revision altogether given that it might stretchback worse than before. I would go to a renowned FUE surgeon who practices it exclusively like Hakan, Erdogan or Lorenzo and get some grafts placed into the scar to disguise it. You won't be able to shave down to a grade 1 but certainly much closer than you can now.

Sad2,

Thanks for sharing your experience and a few photos showing your scar on our forum. Like others have said however, the result photo you presented showing the recipient area isn't optimal and thus, nothing can be determined. I do agree however, that the scar appears wide.

That said, it is typical for physicians to ask patients to come in for an in-person consultation prior to deciding on an appropriate resolution. While I do think refunds can be appropriate depending on the situation, it's not fair of you to expect one without letting Dr. Vogel evaluate you in person.

I strongly suggest that you contact Dr. Vogel, schedule and in-person consultation to let him evaluate your result and then discuss a reasonable solution to resolve your concerns.

Best wishes,

Bill

I went to Dr. Vogel in July 2011. I had a similar procedure (1700 grafts) and the price was around 8000. While after the procedure, I was wondering when the hair would grow, I became very impatient and called Dr. Vogel on several occasions. Sure enough everything dr. Vogel said would happen , happened and 8 months later I had a great result and am considering going back for another in the near future. Dr. Vogel was very honest and up front with what I can expect. I even wear my hair pretty short on the sides without notice of the scar and my barber has used a #1 on the blade.

My advice to you would be to call and talk with dr. Vogel. He's proven to be a top doctor in this field, and is going to be honest and realistic with what you can expect as far as results.

Edited by Coach

I have been asked to respond to the dissatisfaction expressed by my patient in the thread above. Unfortunately I am precluded by federal and state privacy laws from commenting on any social media sites regarding patient concerns. I always encourage patients to contact me directly to schedule a confidential meeting in which any and all issues can be discussed fully in an effort to reach an amicable resolution. I would like to make some general comments however.

I take the satisfaction and dissatisfaction of any patient very seriously and most personally. In fact some of the posted comments are quite hurtful to me. The fact is when any surgical procedure is performed the patient and surgeon must both accept the potential for a less than 100% perfect result, and complications or a less than perfect result do sometimes occur . It is the ethical and caring way a complication is managed by the surgeon in concert with the patient that defines professional conduct and an appropriate doctor patient relationship. There are few hair restoration surgeons who have a higher sensitivity than I for those unfortunate individuals who have had poor results or outdated hair transplants. As a plastic surgeon I have prided myself in having had the privilege to restore the self esteem to those individuals who were essentially ‘scalp cripples’ because of previous unnatural looking results or other problems associated with their hair restoration procedures.

This on line community is a fantastic source of information for hair loss suffers and I endorse it’s role. In the spirit of education I would offer the following advise to those who have been involved with this thread or for future readers. First, make sure you and the surgeon are completely on the same page with regard to goals, risks, and expectations before agreeing to any procedure . Second, if there is anything unexpected with regard to the result or post operative course, maintain a close connection to your original surgeon, he ( or she) more than anyone (other than the patient) wants the best result and outcome as well. Finally, the on line community, and especially on line physician representatives should consider that there are always two sides to every coin before passing judgment on unilateral anonymous internet postings and claims. I appreciate the time those have taken to read and consider my comments above.

James E Vogel, MD

And of course my doors are still always open to the patient who started this thread if he desires my advise and and evaluation of his concerns. I am happy to arrange for a non traditional follow up time so he does not need to miss work as well.

James E. Vogel, MD

I added 2 photos that I took with my tablet. They can be seen in the 9/2013 album, this is 2 years after my procedure.. I'm not a professional but needless to say I'm more than happy with the results, and the doctor was very upfront with what to expect from the beginning.

sad2......did you travel very far to see Dr. Vogel? If you are in the vicinity of his office what do you have to lose by making an appointment to discuss the situation? In his post Dr. Vogel seems very eager to try and work this out. Are you fearful you may lose your temper in a face to face discussion? Or that Dr. Vogel may try and pressure you into another procedure which you have decided you do not want?

I think even if you do not want Dr. Vogel to work on you again, you should still go see him and let him see first hand the results. You could still discuss the situation and he may feel you do deserve some type of refund. Maybe you two could decide beforehand that you would each lay out your side of the situation, then sleep on it after the meeting, and then discuss the final decision over the phone or via e-mail.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.