Vogel Strip Scar

sad2

I was a 53 year old Norwood 1 and decided to have a hair transplant to hairline Sept. 2012 w/James E. Vogel - Baltimore area. Worst decision I have ever made in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told I would have a Tricho closure would be able to wear my hear to 1/8 inch. I would be pleased w/results. etc. etc.

I was told 1700 individual hairs were transplanted front hairline & paid over $8,000. - almost one year later and result looks more like 50-100 hairs grew front hairline and looks terrible. I would be better off going bald.

I ended up with a large strip scar behind my head as well. I asked for my money back and was refused.

Any, recommendation on where to go to get the damage to the back of my head repaired. I can wear a hat in the to hide the front. but the hat sometimes pulls the hair up in the back. I've had a few unpleasant comments.

See Photos Attached::(

Thank You

awiz2

IMG_1862.jpg.fbb9a3a47a27e26af581b27571d63ea5.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg.7f123905bd0d6b164ba2880585925178.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg.de9d650aad4f60f20187f300c06d72bd.jpg

I was a 53 year old Norwood 1 and decided to have a hair transplant to hairline Sept. 2012 w/James E. Vogel - Baltimore area. Worst decision I have ever made in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told I would have a Tricho closure would be able to wear my hear to 1/8 inch. I would be pleased w/results. etc. etc.

I was told 1700 individual hairs were transplanted front hairline & paid over $8,000. - almost one year later and result looks more like 50-100 hairs grew front hairline and looks terrible. I would be better off going bald.

I ended up with a large strip scar behind my head as well. I asked for my money back and was refused.

Any, recommendation on where to go to get the damage to the back of my head repaired. I can wear a hat in the to hide the front. but the hat sometimes pulls the hair up in the back. I've had a few unpleasant comments.

See Photos Attached::(

Thank You

awiz2

Did the doctor offer to at least do a scar revision for you? Can't really tell from your picture of the front, but it probably isn't as bad as you think.

Can't really tell from your picture

Agreed we need more pictures, and some from not so close up to make a proper assessment.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Welcome to the forums, first and foremost.

Now, your photos don't really carry too much weight because they don't really show too much. We would need more photos from pre/post-op in order to more closely assess the problem and offer you constructive information. What we can tell you is that you should first try to contact the clinic to see if they can look into the results and maybe correct any problems.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

That is definitely a poor scar. Very poor, especially for such a small procedure. Was that your first procedure?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yes, I forgot to comment on the scar. My previous comment was only talking about your graft yield. As far as scars are concerned, that's one of the worst scars I've ever seen.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me- HERB BROOKS, COACH OF 1980 USA OLYMPIC HOCKEY TEAM. I find if sickening that such shameless butchery still occurs as if it were the pluggy 80's! If you were promised a "pencil-thin scar" and ended up with a disfigured scalp it is the fault of the Dr and I hope the clinic is ethical enough to resolve this issue with you, at the very least a free scar revision although I think you deserve much, much more. Sorry this happened to you I know as a hair loss sufferer you put your trust in the hands of somebody you thought could change your life for the better. I don't know how the Doctor sleeps at night.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me- HERB BROOKS, COACH OF 1980 USA OLYMPIC HOCKEY TEAM. I find if sickening that such shameless butchery still occurs as if it were the pluggy 80's! If you were promised a "pencil-thin scar" and ended up with a disfigured scalp it is the fault of the Dr and I hope the clinic is ethical enough to resolve this issue with you, at the very least a free scar revision although I think you deserve much, much more. Sorry this happened to you I know as a hair loss sufferer you put your trust in the hands of somebody you thought could change your life for the better. I don't know how the Doctor sleeps at night.

I think we should slow down. This is a very bad scar but there are many situations that can cause this. I'd like to hear the doc's viewpoint before it gets out of hand. Patient's following instructions, patient physiology, not stressing the the donor site all play a part.

Did the doc offer a scar revision? Better recipient pics will help too.

I personally haven't studied this doc enough to know what his track record on scars is.

Maybe we will hear from the doctor on this. This is unfortunate in any case but we really need more information.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I know you asked for your money back and your request was denied. However, do you believe at this point that you and the Doctor can have a rational, civil conversation and work out whatever matters need to be resolved? Most reputable Doctors will not shut the door on you so I hope you and your Doctor can reach a mutual agreement and work this out in the best way possible. Good luck to you.

But I do believe that sometimes when results turn out poorly the blame cannot all be placed on a patients physiology. It runs both ways. If the clinic has any ethics at all they will be willing to work with you and sit down and talk about what happened and what should be done next. Sometimes things just don't work out and the dice roll the wrong way but if you followed all your post-op instructions and did your part then I think you have reason to be upset. Half of a hair transplant success is what the surgeon does, the other half is post op discipline. Keep us updated and I expect your Doctor will get back to you so you can get closure and possibly a path to a better outcome.

Mr. Vogel asked for me to come back in but I refused.

I just wanted my money back. As far as stressing the scar. I am an athletic 53 year old. I was wrestling & lifting weights prior to the hair transplant. I have young kids who I was very active with.

I'm a good looking guy, some say have model looks - except the hair, lol.

I can tell you that I no longer sub-mission wrestle due to embarrassment - hair. I quit lifting weights for seven months after procedure so as not to take a chance on having a wide scar. I never really started again - lifting weights. I thought it would be a pencil line scar with hair growing thru the scar.

I also had a little bit of hair put into the temples. That came out horrific looking. Every time the hair grows in - temples. I pluck them out with tweezers. That bad!

awiz 2

Sounds like you followed instructions to a T, and then some. To quit heavy exercise for 7 months is a very generous amount of time to let your scar heal. It sounds like you did everything possible to make sure your results would come out as advertised. Very sorry this happened to you it sounds like the goods were not delivered.

Gettign FUE into a scar isn't just like you can go for one surgery and get satisfactory results. Remember that a scar is made of scar tissue, so your yield will be substantially lower than it is with normally. If Vogel invited you back to his office and you refused, that is your fault and are entitled to nothing

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I understand you are frustraded but I suggest you to talk with your doctor. There is no reason to refuse talking to him. Something good can come out of this conversation. It is always important to talk to your doctor before you decide doing something else. At this point, you do not have anything to lose. Good luck!

An amazing experience (4002 grafts) with Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED Clinic).

If Vogel invited you back to his office and you refused, that is your fault and are entitled to nothing

Totally. How can he give any money back when you won't even see him(?)

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Getting FUE into a scar isn't just like you can go for one surgery and get satisfactory results. Remember that a scar is made of scar tissue, so your yield will be substantially lower than it is with normally.
Thats right. here is what Dr. Glen M Charles says:

I tell my patients to expect about 50% but that grafting into a scar is very unpredictable and it could be lower. If we get better than that which I have in some cases it is a bonus for the patient.
Its too bad about your outcome. You should look for some doctors that specialize in repair like Dr. Umar etc. They might be able to help and get you back on track. I do agree that you might be able to get some deal if you talk to your doctor but I also understand why you might not want to do business with him again. If you have the money and dont trust this doc you can find some good repair doctors if you look around a bit. Keep reading posts here because I often see threads about scar repair and people dealing with it. Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

If his first scar turned out so poorly then why should he go back for a revision? We only have so much donor area and risking it to a doctor that produced a scar that wide is not something I would do either. The doctor is simply going to offer a free scar revision (some free grafts that come with the scar revision). Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is not smart. It boils down to what the doctor said prior to the procedure. Did he prepare you for this possibility? If not, I feel it's on him.

"He is renown amongst his peers for his excellent repair work and advanced techniques." - This website regarding Dr. Vogel. This scar makes me a little skeptical regarding that statement. I'd like to see an explanation. I hate seeing subjective write ups. What I like seeing is objective photos. I have not looked up many of his cases that have been posted. Maybe you should start there and compare what you got compared to what he can do.

I emailed Mr. Vogel the photos of the damage to my head. I also asked for my $8,000. plus dollars back.

A couple weeks ago I had a phone conversation with him. He told me that sometimes it happens that way! I was not told that before the procedure.

Going to Vogels office is not going to solve anything. Go thru another strip w/same results maybe worse - much worse. No Thanks.

He didn't seem to know much about FUE. Before performing the strip he practiced two spots FUE. Maybe he cut a large strip out of my head to take upstairs and practice FUE, lol.

After he made the cut I didn't see him until it was all over with.

I'm going to try and get the damaged reduced w/different doctor. Not sure if going with FUE or Scar Revision? As far as my hairline i'm not even thinking about that anymore.

Additional photo - pre-surgery.

I was told by several friends that after the 1700 hairs were supposedly transplanted front hairline by Dr. Vogel. That I actually lost hair in the front! Friends think the surgery caused the loss of hair?

I included a photo taken before surgery.

I wished I would have never had hair transplant surgery.

Sometimes i'm not to smart.

In fact maybe dumb, lol.

awiz2

IMG_2069.jpg.1e1446c9182e7525541b40b499f9b016.jpg

While I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would say your scar is satisfactory, a clear shot of your post-op hairline would be greatly appreciated now that you have posted a pre-op.

Having a hairline as shown in your latest pic, what made you decide to go for HRS in the first place? It looked pretty damn good, especially for your age. It's even wet styled! I feel it would be beneficial to compare a similarly shot post-op photo to said pre-op.

On a plus side, your hair looked great even before surgery. With model looks, you are doing better than most of us. I imagine every doctor practicing has a disclaimer of possibilities that you sign before surgery. It's like to see a similar post op scar too. Too bad you couldn't work it out. It's pretty unlikely to get a refund, maybe you can do a bht in the scar or even a regular fue. Besides the scar damage it looks like you have some killer donor.

View Spanker's Website

Spanker,

I don't know what a bht is.

I'm going to look into it.

As far as killer donor, I lost 1700 hairs from the back of my head, where all the hair went i'm not sure.

Plus more hair fell out w/result large strip scar.

I'm not sure what I have left, lol.

BTW, I'll check out Raymond Konior website this week, thanks.

awiz2