Current Options for SMP - Are my facts right?

scar5

Of course, telling us that SMP is 'not for everybody' tells us nothing, hence I argue that the facts of the matter need to be more rigorously established. We don't have someone like Mickey to attack this with the vigor he attacked the FUE vs strip question, but I wonder what valuable information that kind of scrutiny would reveal?

Currently, as of fall 2013, SMP seems to fall into two categories.

1) Temporary and Colored to match hair and skin

2) Permanent and monochrome, no attempt to match hair and skin

This is an indisputable fact, am I correct?

These choices are because of physiological/technical constraints, not because consumer pressure, desires.

1) The temporary works with color because the ink materials are sufficiently small to slip through the cell walls and disappear before their color composition starts to deteriorate and reveal different tones. In other words, it disappears before it gets ridiculous. (Ref. I think Jotronic or Spex, or someone from the Milena empire put up a detailed technical explanation for this , and many thanks)

2) The permanent is black, because black, if of sufficient quality, is more stable as a color, and although the skin tones render it slightly blue (as red light is filtered out) it should stay more or less like that. As for the color choice in an aesthetic sense, the official rationale for this given by the SMP companies is that shaven hair always reveals a black, monochrome effect.

Edited by scar5
Cut the bit about my situation, keep it about S P

I am not interested in posting pics of SMP. Just establishing the facts of the matter. (So you'll notice that I edited out the bit about my situation in the above post, perhaps it's unfair to talk the talk and not post pics??)

I just want to clarify some things so that people get straight to the kernel of it without having to ask themselves TE same dumb questions, like, why does Milena d o brown, why does HIIS clinic do black? Why do GLI go deep? why does Milena go shallow?

And hopefully they don't make the same mistakes I made.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having FUE work to cover balding area, as discussed in some posts, Aftar I have my FUE, I will almost certainly look at SMP in order to reduce noticability of thinning areas. I doubt I have enough donor to cover my entire balding area. It will be close but not enough, so I will opt for SMP.

Does SMP work better with shorter or longer hair? I am inclined to wear my hair medium length, not absolutely short, but if SMP works better with shorter hair I will look at cutting my hair to suit. I personally dont suit ultra short hair cut, but letting it grow out slightly will do the trick.

Just trying to get some info on how SMP (black or monochrome) would look on shorter hair. My hair hair colour is dark brown.

I plan FUE before Christmas 2013 if all goes well. 3000+ Hairs and 1500 beard. Possibly another 1000 beard later. Hope this will work well ready for some SMP.

It really depends on your situation. If you have enough hair to blend with the SMP then it will look fine. If you are going from hair to a slick bald spot then it will look awkward. I performed SMP on my brother's crown and he keeps his hair about 3 inches in length all around. He has a thinning crown with enough hair to not look too abrupt. I found in order to get the best coverage/look I really saturated the area where it was thinning. It's more of a Dermatch effect, and he is quite pleased with it.

Now, I would never have attempted this if the pigment was permanent, even though his hairloss seems stable throughout the rest of his zones.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I am having FUE work to cover balding area, as discussed in some posts, Aftar I have my FUE, I will almost certainly look at SMP in order to reduce noticability of thinning areas..

I don't know about temporary because hair grows only 1cm, and temporary fades at about 5%(based on a 2 year fade) a month, which is pretty fast, but color matching works differently at different lengths. It certainly helped hide my pink areas and white crown.

I think FUE and SMP is a good option and I've done it. I couldn't believe I would actually been lowering my hairline 25 years after I started HTs!! All because SMP changes the whole numbers game graft wise.

I wonder if anyone agrees with my assumptions about color. Does any permanent SMP provider actually use color?