16yr-old - think I have MPB, what should I do?

Hello everybody.

I recently discovered that my hairline appears to be drastically receding, and I am unsure how to react.

I was always aware that MPB affected my Dad and his father, but for some reason, I never thought it would affect me.

I am not that interested in growing more hair, just retaining the hair I currently have until a few years time where I'll be far more comfortable going bald.

I do understand that I am probably unable to use most treatments at such a young age, but any suggestions or help would be fantastic :)

image.jpg.ee605d05ace61ff85c784fc384969c7e.jpg

Hello JBH

No one is obviously going to tell you to get a transplant at your age. I'm not even sure they'll prescribe Propecia for a 16 year old. If you were 20, I'd say Propecia, Rogaine Foam, Nizoral shampoo, and Biotin or MSM supplements. At least you're aware of your hairline. Some people comb over and are denial. The good news of for you is you are so young that they'll hopefully have a cure for MPB while you're still pretty young

Hello JBH

No one is obviously going to tell you to get a transplant at your age. I'm not even sure they'll prescribe Propecia for a 16 year old. If you were 20, I'd say Propecia, Rogaine Foam, Nizoral shampoo, and Biotin or MSM supplements. At least you're aware of your hairline. Some people comb over and are denial. The good news of for you is you are so young that they'll hopefully have a cure for MPB while you're still pretty young

Thanks a lot for the reply :)

I'm just hoping my hair won't recede too much before I finish college in about 2 years time.

Yes, I am looking forward to possible day where a cure will be found!

I feel for you buddy!! I started loosing my hair in junior high and was a little worse off at your age. The bad thing is that you are too young for finasteride since you are still developing secondary sex characteristics for which DHT is very important. I would suggest maybe giving rogaine a try for the next few years and then when you are 18 look into getting on fin. I was scared off of fin at 18 and I lost a ton of hair and ended up on it anyway.

JBH,

I think the first, and most important, step is seeing a physician who specializes in alopecia. Hair loss can be caused by a variety of factors, and it's important to first figure out why you're losing hair (if you are), and then discuss viable options. I highly recommend an appointment with a trusted primary care physician, dermatologist, or endocrinologist (this is probably more if the other physicians can't identify a cause).

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I feel for ya man. Unfortunately, as others have stated, there's not much that can be done at this point do to your age. Experiment with good hair styles and maybe try minoxidile.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily