Keloid Scarring and Hair Transplants

Hi community members,

I'm considering a FUE transplant but recently had an achillies repair (Jan 2013) on my achillies tendon and ended up scarring badly in the tendon and the incision. The surgeon told me I'm just one of those people that keloids and there's nothing I can do about it. Even though FUE is less invasive the idea of scarring of the follicular graft concerns me. Scarring would not only destroy the graft but also form visual scarring on the recipient sites.

I have a history of 3 keloids on my body, all of which occurred after traumatic injuries, 1) infected knee scrape which never got any medial treatment, 2) repaired achillies tendon, 3) a scab that kept accidentally scraping off and finally scarred. And there have been numerous (>25) deep cuts and scrapes that never scarred.

I consulted Dr. Bhatti in India via email and his opinion was that I should not experience any scarring from FUE and he has never had any FUE patients that scarred following transplants. He suggests keloid and hypertropic scars only occur over bony sites such as the sternum and shoulders.

I'm seeking council from any FUE surgeons, patients or experts that would have any knowledge to pass on to me regarding scarring following hair transplants.

I have attached a few pics of the keloids on my body.

- Prime

image.jpeg.9df6bb9c7c4b121187d593ac54dd41fc.jpeg

image(1).png.e47f7d5c75a499c20ad04e59db413ba9.png

image(2).png.6f22c3c2229433b9742d865517be0217.png

image(3).png.19c96988e7f408fe7b5bbe2395af091d.png

image(4).png.a2fe33a4dcfabd23d52b46b88596b15b.png

image(1).jpeg.ec12b06326bf07d12263a08243545531.jpeg

Hi Prime,

It does look like you're a bit prone to hypertrophic scarring. Granted, comparing the blood supply, skin type, invasive nature, and method of closure in your tendon surgery to hair transplant surgery is different, but it still likely says something about your scarring tendency.

While the amount of scarring is greatly reduced with FUE compared to strip surgery, calling it a scarless procedure, in my opinion, is inaccurate. However, I don't think the question is whether or not the procedure is scarless; I think the important question is whether or not you will experience hypertrophic scarring from the small circular incisions.

Frankly, I think this is a difficult question to answer. While it doesn't seem overly likely, you do have a tendency to scar poorly. Because of this, I really think it might be useful to undergo several other consultations and show the doctors these images during the meeting. Reviewing our recommended hair transplant surgeons may be a good place to start.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any additional questions or send me a private message with any concerns.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It is hard to judge a Achilles tendon surgery because in that area scars generally do not come out great. The scar on your arm does not look like a keloid type scar. The scalp can have different healing properties compared to the body. It is very possible that you could have a very fine scar if the correct technique is used and the wound is closed under minimal tension.

• 3 years later...