Dr. Cam Simmons - 3,140 grafts

Megatron

That's pretty dang nice of Dr. Simmons. I'm with you on that whole illusion thing Megatron. I think patients need to understand that in most instances, illusion is the best you get. I consider my two HTs very successful, but under harsh conditions, clearly the density could be much more. However, going from the reality of a very balding pate' to a pretty damn good illusion of a full head of hair is more than acceptable to me. For most people looking at us, the illusion is reality as they're not intensely scrutinizing my hair like I do. Anyway, congrats to you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega,

Good luck with the next couple of months. I do find it interesting that both of us wish we had more density.

Is this a byproduct of expecting too much? or simply we are still a bit impatient and should wait a few more months before we start questioning the density?

Regarding the photos taken with an 8mp camera, I think you should continue to take photos with it because it gives everyone here sense of truthfulness rather than many of the photos that the HT clinics take.

I will continue to do what I'm doing, and I hope you do too.

Question for you, are you planning to grow your hair longer? Also, can you pinpoint which hairs are actually transplanted versus native hairs? The reason I'm asking this is in the hairline, the skin itself (where the hair grows) seems a bit rough, and not smooth, as if something was transplanted there. what do you think?

That's pretty dang nice of Dr. Simmons. I'm with you on that whole illusion thing Megatron. I think patients need to understand that in most instances, illusion is the best you get. I consider my two HTs very successful, but under harsh conditions, clearly the density could be much more. However, going from the reality of a very balding pate' to a pretty damn good illusion of a full head of hair is more than acceptable to me. For most people looking at us, the illusion is reality as they're not intensely scrutinizing my hair like I do. Anyway, congrats to you.

well said Tao, I couldn't agree more.

best of luck with your 2nd procedure. I think your front is massively improved and if you can get the same result with your crown you should be laughing.

Regarding the photos taken with an 8mp camera, I think you should continue to take photos with it because it gives everyone here sense of truthfulness rather than many of the photos that the HT clinics take.

I agree 100%. Photos can be very, very deceiving. Some guys (and clinics) post photos that make me think, "who are you kidding?" I'm with you in that I'd prefer to get honest, critical feedback.

Question for you, are you planning to grow your hair longer? Also, can you pinpoint which hairs are actually transplanted versus native hairs? The reason I'm asking this is in the hairline, the skin itself (where the hair grows) seems a bit rough, and not smooth, as if something was transplanted there. what do you think?

I don't think I can pull off long hair. Maybe when my hair thickens some more, but I doubt whether it'd be a good look for me. I also worry that my closest friends would automatically think something's up because they've know me to have short hair for the past 15 years.

Also, can you pinpoint which hairs are actually transplanted versus native hairs? The reason I'm asking this is in the hairline, the skin itself (where the hair grows) seems a bit rough, and not smooth, as if something was transplanted there. what do you think?

I'll have to post some better pre-HT photos for you guys to appreciate the level of balding I had. The hairline you see in my post-HT pics is all transplanted hair. Dr. Simmons also commented on the roughness & acne on my recepient area and that's why I'm still on Minocin (which I hate). I've had severe acne issues my whole life and it seems as though my recepient area is continuing to experience it. Mind you, it's much better than my 7 week pics. But, it's sort of ridiculous that it's ongoing.

Dr. Simmons believes it may be delaying my growth and/or it may have hampered my growth. I think that if we knew pre-HT what we know now he would have suggested I take Minocin from the beginning. That said, what you see in my pics isn't very visble to the naked eye. The high-res closeup pics really magnify slight color and texture variation.

M9_Top.jpg

Edited by Megatron

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good megatron. The combed forward look is good for you. Style is everything when it comes to making the best of a HT.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Do you feel that the early set on of acne might have impeded some growth. I could be wrong but it appears rather sparse on the hairline for the amount of grafts you got. But if you are truly happy then that is what matters. best of luck

Do you feel that the early set on of acne might have impeded some growth. I could be wrong but it appears rather sparse on the hairline for the amount of grafts you got. But if you are truly happy then that is what matters. best of luck

it looks a lot better in person then it does in the pics. trust me, when I look at the pics myself, I'm like errrggghhh. then I go check it in the mirror again and relax.

it looks a lot better in person then it does in the pics. trust me, when I look at the pics myself, I'm like errrggghhh. then I go check it in the mirror again and relax.

Megatron, as long as you are happy :) that's all that matters :)

Is it possible for you to take a video with your camera? maybe a short 15 second clip?

So when is your next HT ;) maybe we'll coordinate and get one at the same time again. haha

• 4 weeks later...

Update for 11 Months

I'm happy with the results. Perhaps it could it have been better. Not sure. I honestly don't think most people post honest looking pictures so I can't really say whether I'm average or below average.

The yield seems to be pretty consistent throughout which leads me to think this is simply what HTs look like. That is, see-through under harsh lighting, but pretty good to the untrained eye. Regardless, it's a huge improvement from pre-surgery so I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

After month 12 I'll have to decide whether to take Dr. Simmons up on his generous offer to touch it up. I'm on the fence, because I can certainly live with this result and be content. I also don't want to use up future donor hairs. But, if my hairline can really be improved then perhaps I should do it. We'll see.

Megatron

You had the worst case of post-op pimples that I have seen and I truly feel bad that you went through such a rough post-op course. I had not seen a patient get a secondary infection like yours before and haven't seen it since. You had mentioned having had severe acne in your history and I wish in retrospect that I had started preventative treatment for you. Usually pimples do not affect hair growth but in your case the infection may have caused either delayed growth or worse growth than usual. Like you, I am waiting to see how the final results turn out. As I have told you personally, if you do not achieve the usual expected results, I will touch up your hair transplant at no charge.

In consultations, I routinely say that we transplant hair at about half the density of a teenager in some areas and less than that in others. Otherwise we would use up too much hair in too small an area. We depend on styling and the human eye to fill in some spaces for us. Transplanted hair will always look thinner when wet, spiked up, cut very short, or clumped together with gel or pommade. There is more space between follicular units than in a teenager's head and more light will be reflected under harsh lights. Transplanted hair will look fuller when dry, separated, long enough and styled to layer, and in natural light.

Taking photos with wet hair, spiked up, and exposed to harsh light is not a fair way to judge transplanted hair. It is kind of like having a nose job then taking photos with a fish-eye lens. Neither is it fair for people to deliberately take photos in dim lighting or to compare photos that are taken at different angles. As much as possible, lighting should be consistent from one visit to the next and the hair should be styled as you would normally wear it to make it look as good as possible.

When I saw you last at the 8 month mark, your hair transplant was not as dense as expected. It has seemed to improve each month since then in your journal but may still not be where it could or should have been. Sometimes there can be delayed growth where there can be continued improvement for up to 18 months. I have seen this happen when transplanting hair into scar tissue. However, if your hair is not as full as expected at 12 months I will offer to touch it up ... and to start acne prevention treatment beforehand.

See you next month.

Edited by Dr. Cam Simmons

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It is a bit less dense than whats to be expected but still a nice transformation. Good that Dr. Simmons is willing to take care of you.

I think if you use the right product in your hair you can make the results look a little better.

Edited by YouOnlyLiveOnce

Looking good Megatron. I think Dr. Simmons is right in that your post-op troubles might have effected your growth a bit, but it looks good now considering all that you went through. I think a touch up would be nice but I don't think you have to have one. You certainly don't need another megasession at this point.

I think 11 months is late in the growth game, but not in texture changing of the transplanted hair. I think you'll see some difference come month 15-18.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I think all the bald spots that u previously had were all covered, however, i cant say i am thrilled with the density. I understand that after HT we will still have the see thru look but i feel yours is still too thin for my liking. Maybe like Dr Simmons pointed out, u wet the hair and spike it up, making it look less dense than it could be when it is dry and layered.

Anyway, u mentioned that u are happy with the results, well, thats all it matters

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I recently cut my hair short for the first time in about 3 months and I'm actually very pleased with what I see. The recipient hair has matured nicely everywhere except the left temple which still has a ways to go. I can now, for the first time since I was 16 years old pull off some different hair styles (e.g., parting to one side, spiking up but without gel, comb backwards with gel). I think my growth peaked between months 4 to 6. But, it seems like all the wispy, thin hairs have thickened and darkened (except the left temple) over the last 5 months.

I'll try to take more representative pictures at the 1 year mark. Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really do find it all useful.

• 4 weeks later...

I've updated my blog with a 12 month thread along with 2 comparison threads. I now think I'm through posting pics on my blog, at least for a while.

Overall, I'm very, very pleased with everything. I still want a little more thickening in the temple regions which have always seemed to have lagged behind. But, I think I'll get there and have good looking hair for many, many years to come.

As I'm sure all you hair loss sufferers can relate, probably the most beneficial thing that comes out of getting a good HT result is not having to worry about your hair anymore. That peace of mind alone is priceless.

The density looks a bit thin, but its the same everywhere (transplants and natural hair). There's nothing you can do about that, I think. Not everyone is blessed with thick hair. I would not worry about that.

I do have one major concern. I seriously dont understand why both you and the doctor choose this hairline. IMO a natural hairline should be priority nr.1. Density nr.2

I havent read this whole topic but I cant imagine that nobody have said this as well. You're missing hair on your temples. Of course most of us have this problem :D but your temple hairline is even more behind. Is this last sentence proper English ? I'm from Holland..;)

The doctor should have planted some hairs on your temples too, to make it a little less unnatural. I could easily see that you have done a hairtransplant if I ran across you in the train.

I would definitely do a 2nd session.

Megatron, I hope you're not offended. Just remember that this problem can easily be solved with a 2nd HT. On the other hand, you say you are very pleased, so that's the most important thing.

Edited by nw_2

nw_2, u find that Tron's HT can be spotted if u ran into him in the train? I took a few more glances at his pics, and no, i do not agree. I thought it looks very natural, i would nvr suspect he had anything done. However, density wise, i agree, it could have been better but still, definitely a huge cosmetic change from where he came from. In fact, combine rogaine foam and nanogen and i think he would look superb!

Tron, so have u decided to undergo a follow up procedure? I understand Dr Simmons is providing it FOC but still, to go thru another phase of waiting etc sucks, to be honest. Do update us on your decision and god speed!

Lastly, do u feel that your HT results might be compromised by the acne prob? Or u feel that even without that, the results were within your expectation? Just want to know how u feel about it

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

nw_2, u find that Tron's HT can be spotted if u ran into him in the train? I took a few more glances at his pics, and no, i do not agree. I thought it looks very natural, i would nvr suspect he had anything done. However, density wise, i agree, it could have been better but still, definitely a huge cosmetic change from where he came from. In fact, combine rogaine foam and nanogen and i think he would look superb!

hi wb280, yes correct.

Many hairtransplant patients can be spotted because they have a completely new and tight hairline but havent done anything with the temples/side of the head. That's unnatural. That wont happen in real life either if you are getting bald. :)

NW2 temples are okay but megatron has NW3 temples.