Dr. Cam Simmons - 3,140 grafts

Megatron

I saw Dr. Simmons today for my 5 month follow-up. He basically said my growth was average and expects more growth to happen between 5 to 8 month. I'm actually quite pleased with the growth I've experienced to date. So if he's saying I'm just average then I guess that's a good thing because it means there should be even more growth. Who knows, we'll see I guess.

He also offered to fill in some of the patchy areas on the off chance that they don't catch up with the rest of the growth. I thought that was impressive of him seeing that I wasn't even complaining about it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I updated my blog w/ 6 month pics. I must say that Dr. Simmons has been bang on every step of the way. He said there would be the most noticeable improvement between months 6 to 8 and I think he's right because when I compare my 5 month to 6 month pics there does seem to be a most noticeable improvement.

I'm very glad I started doing this blog because there really is no other way to objectively compare.

Megatron,

Looking good! You've come a long way and things are continuing to improve. I'm happy for you.

Thanks for updating!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Looks like things are coming along there Megatron. Expect more to come for sure. How has it been styling the transplanted hair?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 4 weeks later...

I've updated my blog for month 7 pics. pretty similar to previous month. I think I'm still getting some new growth, but it's slowed. there are a few areas in the temples than I'm keeping my eye on too. Just need some patience now to wait several more months to see it all mature.

Overall, I'm very pleased with where I'm at. In the end, I think I'll end up with a suitable HT considering the characteristics of my natural hair.

Megatron... I think you are coming along. But of course it looks thinner when you wet it. My hair looks much thinner when I get out of a shower. You don't style your hair that wet do you? Could you show use some pics with the hair dry and styled. Don't get me wrong, the wet pics are honest and revealing but I doubt that's how you wear your hair in public. Am I wrong?

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

btw, I think 6 months was my growing peak as well.

tnx for the feedback aaron. you're right in assuming I don't style my hair wet and combed back. I used to always wear it forward as you can see in the monthly pics. but, since month 6 I've also been brave on occassion and style it up in the front. I LOVE that I can do that now.

when I get a chance I'll do some before and after pics with my hair styled like you did in your month 7 pics. that should be a great comparison.

interesting you think your growth peaked in month 6 too. I kind of suspect that for most guys with decent results that's also the case.

Mega, looking good. I noticed you and I are in the same situation as we both feel that month 7, there wasnt much of a change.

I am still anticipating in 1-2 months that a log will change. all my grafted hair are about half the length of my native hair, I am hoping eventually the newly placed hair will outgrow my native hair and that is where I'll see the difference

Keep the updates going, I like that you're consistent like me. I know some folks get content and lazy and forget to post...

all my grafted hair are about half the length of my native hair, I am hoping eventually the newly placed hair will outgrow my native hair and that is where I'll see the difference

I may have had earlier growth because I actually think my transplanted hair all looks the same length as my native hair. that's good for you though because it means that you should see more improvement in the months ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good Mega, I saw your journal and I am 90% in the same boat as you (except I can gel my hair :))

I do agree if I had the hairloss that you had, the density just doesn't look like it's enough.

I hope that as the months progress the density will get better if not. I hate to say it, but I guess a successive HT would be needed....

Megatron,

I'm confident that you will continue to see some thickening as your transplanted hairs continue to mature. As you know, for many of us, gelling and spiking aren't going to provide the best look. At 6 months post hair transplant, my hair still looks much better forward than back.

Thanks for updating. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next 4 months bring you.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

just to be clear - I had zero hair in the temple region and my hairline was lowered about .5 inches. I was thinning severely throughout my frontal forelock so the HT results you see are an enormous cosmetic improvement.

Pre-op1.jpg

pre-surgery

D0_Top.jpg

day 0

M2_Top.jpg

2months

M8_frontspiked.jpg

8months

the feedback I look for from you guys for is whether or not I am where I should be for 8 months & 3,100 grafts. I also just hope guys bear in mind that I'm intentionally trying to identify my weak areas by using unflattering photo conditions.

tnx

Edited by Megatron

Megatron,

I think your hair is really looking good for 8 months. I can tell by the pictures that, as you said, you are intentionally trying to identify and showcase the weaker areas. The good news is, I expect this to thicken up nicely over the next several months - especially since there's a nice improvement between the 7th and 8th month. In reality however, your hair still may appear a little see-through under harsh lighting which is just a reality for hair transplants in general. That said, if after 12 to 15 months your hair isn't as thick as you'd like it to be, you can always go back for more density.

Thanks for keeping this community updated and I look forward to your next update :-)

Bill

Yes, that looks about right for 8 months. You should expect significant thickening over the next few months and then after 12 months the hair quality will start to soften up. Good growing!

P.S. Do you use any product in your hair? If found in those early stages that it helps the hair quality and appearance tremendously.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hi Megatron,

I think your hair looks pretty good under those strong-light close-ups.

Just to echo what hairthere said, if you use some product you may be able to get away with pushing the hair back at this point (under bright light it will be a bit see through though) -

have you tried Samy Fat Hair thickening cream -- after making your hair a *touch* wet (slightly drier than towel-dry), put a small amount on your hands, rub palms together, and , rub it through the top area from roots to tips , then blow dry and then push it back w/ your fingers instead of a comb -- it will thicken you up! I do it even without the blow drying and feel that it helps.

I learned about that on this forum actually...

Please post a pic to show us what it looks like if you end up doing it.

thanks for the feedback guys. I really do value your opinions. here are a few thoughts on what's been said:

- even if my hair doesn't improve here on, I still doubt I'll be going back for added density for at least 5 years or more - basically, whenever my crown needs work - maybe never - hey, one can dream :)

- I have no problems with my hair being a little see-through under say direct sunlight. Problem is it's a lot see-through right now. I have no illusions of expecting a movie star hairline, nor would I want one at 34 years old.

- I've never used product before. perhaps I'll try it for a big occassion or something. but, I don't ever see myself using it on a frequent basis. afterall, part of the reason for getting a HT was to stop worrying about how my hair looked.

Hey Megatron. It does look good for 8 months. You will get more thickening in the next couple of months but the density probably won't dramatically change. I don't think the spiked up style for transplanted hair is the best approach when trying to create an illusion of density. When grown out and combed forward, the hair gives a layering effect that blocks bright lights and the sun from reflecting on your scalp. When the hair is spiked up, the light goes straight dow to the head and shines away. It's a dilemma for me as I think the spiked up look is the best style for me.

I would encourage you to experiment with products. You have invested thousands of dollars in the HT and I would make the absolute best of what you have, even if it takes you another 5-10 minutes in the morning. I know the products I use make the hair less wiry, blending more with my natural hair. Also, a little nanogen or toppik (and dermmatch) can help with the see through effect in rough lighting situations. I know you said you don't what to bother with products, but finding the right combination can turn a good head of hair into a great one (same with transplanted hair).

I would consider another transplant in the future if I were you. You probably only need one more to be more pleased with the density. But either way, it definitely appears the 1st HT has put you in the right direction.

• 5 weeks later...

****9 Month Update****

'the illusion of a full head of hair' is continuing to slowly improve as my recepient area continues to thicken. I probably echo the opinion of most guys when I say I'm very pleased with the results, but just wish it was more dense. Dr. Simmons did offer me a complimentary touch-up if things don't pick-up. I'm on the fence about accepting his generous offer. I'm am content with my HT and I could certainly live the rest of my life with this hair with little to no worries. I also don't want to use up reserve donor hair that I may need for future HTs, if needed. that said, a little more density would be awesome. our plan is to reassess after 12 months. until then I'll probably continue to go back and forth on it.