Dr. Timothy Carman- 1983 FU grafts; 2 Years PostOp

This is a patient in his late twenties that presented with a request to re-establish a hairline he had lost due to androgenic alopecia. He had undergone a previous procedure of about 6-700 grafts which were placed in his frontal forelock area only. Those were beginning to show as his hair continued to recede. His familial history has only frontal loss patterns, with no crown patterns seen on either side of his parental tree. Total FU grafts: 1983; Ones: 951; Two's: 903; Three's: 129.

IMG_0120VRedit.jpg.5d932bb1b924f6a85f1f420b9d3376c8.jpg

IMG_0121VRedit.jpg.08e881ccdada02c98aadccb110031bdd.jpg

IMG_0122VRedit.jpg.d11b99cdc0534ffdd158b817bff60a3a.jpg

IMG_5824VRedit.jpg.dd35707f67643c75e087f6a58baa38e6.jpg

IMG_5825VRedit.jpg.043cdcf317dc11816116ebb37fe7b591.jpg

IMG_5826VRedit.jpg.d5e805c96c46a08dc05388b447885bb5.jpg

IMG_6037VRedit.jpg.5ff200b4f280b966e438f4b388d82128.jpg

IMG_6038VRedit.jpg.93f7ba7aec35f96bbd54a6f040e5ed55.jpg

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Decent result considering the low hair to graft ratio (1.6:1)

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think this looks very nice, and pretty much what I would expect for 2000 grafts going into a completely bald area. Completely natural, and the hairline placement is perfect. Good job.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The yield is questionable. The number of grafts in the front seem sparse, i doubt this was intentional by design.

You also have to take into account the very low number of 3 hair grafts and the unusually high number of 1 hair grafts, the patient had a very low 1.59 hair/graft ratio. I don't think that the yield was low, just not a lot of hairs.

I think this looks very nice, and pretty much what I would expect for 2000 grafts going into a completely bald area. Completely natural, and the hairline placement is perfect. Good job.

I agree. I think it is a drastic improvement, and that the patient looks really good. Of course the density could always be more....but I think it looks very natural and age appropriate.....and like the way the patient styles his hair!

Nice job Dr. Carman. Thanks for sharing!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

You also have to take into account the very low number of 3 hair grafts and the unusually high number of 1 hair grafts, the patient had a very low 1.59 hair/graft ratio. I don't think that the yield was low, just not a lot of hairs.

Hairlines use single hairs only, rendering that theory void. You guys are free to think whatever you want.

Edited by Mickey85

I've spoken to a lot of hair restoration doctors and they all have told me that when they build a new hairline the very front has maybe 300 to 600 singles so the theory is not void. I doubt that 951 singles were placed in the hairline alone. Very nice result, very natural.

I'm talking about the front.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it looks about right. The trick so I am led to believe is to create an illusion that represents what would have been a natural hairline and not a transplant that produces density unless you have extensive transplant surgery.

• 4 months later...
I've spoken to a lot of hair restoration doctors and they all have told me that when they build a new hairline the very front has maybe 300 to 600 singles so the theory is not void. I doubt that 951 singles were placed in the hairline alone. Very nice result, very natural.

To all- Thank you for your comments and observations.

First, yes, 951 ones were used in this delicate hairline/frontal forelock reconstruction. (That is unusual; 600 is the average in our practice.) This, along with the fact that the patients natural/healthy donor hair is on the fine side, is what contributes to the soft look. Second, yes, there has been additional loss due to AA, which was anticipated and again is but one of the reasons for the graft numbers, sizes and densities. As if that were not enough, the patient prefers to utilize heavy hair products in his hair, which can pose a cosmetic challenge under these circumstances. I think this affects the look as well, as anyone with fine hair using "heavier" hair products may have come to realize.

Again, thank you to everyone for taking the time to look and comment on our patient. :)

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors