"Juicing"

I'm a 35 year-old male, and needless to say...used to be in far better shape.

Currently at 215 lbs or so. Ideally, would like to drop 30 lbs.

Have began putting together a plan...including changing gyms (dont like the atmosphere at my current one) and putting together a well researched balanced diet that emphasizes eating frequent small meals.

I recently tried out the 'juice cleanse'. Only made it about one day, however. I'm wondering about the benefits of doing one juice per day in conjunction with the diet I've put together. I like the apple/carrot/ginger juice, as well as blueberry/strawberry/raspberry.

Would this be useful as a daily snack replacement? How about the high sugar content? Would you add protein powder?

Thanks!

Dr. Oz recommends limiting red meat.

I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now. I look at it as a culinary exploration - what types of plant based flavors can i combine in new and interesting ways, especially with so many different types of plants out there: fresh herbs and vegetables and fruits are truly amazing in flavor! At my local garden nursery they have like 10 different kinds of basil alone, from spicy to cinnamon to sweet. Same with thyme and other herbs - so many different intense flavors in one type of herb.

I weigh 165 lbs, 5' 10'', do not exercise at all - though I hope to exercise more in the coming year xD

• 1 month later...

Juice cleanse can also be referred as a juice fast. Ideally, you should do this for three days if you want to lose fat as well as detox at the same time. Keep your meals to a very minimum and replace them with soups and smoothies if possible. Avoid meat, processed foods and high trans fat oils.

If you're juicing, use hard veggies and fruits. Apples, carrots, celery are great. For softer fruits, like blueberries, strawberries, bananas use a high speed smoothie blender. You can add hemp seed, oats, cinnamon, cacoa, green tea powder to your mix and use almond, coconut or rice milk instead of full fat pasteurised milk. Adding Chlorella or Spirulina is good for cleansing toxic waste from your body.

I would not add protein powder, unless you want to build/repair muscle.

Once you have completed your 'cleanse', you need to wean back slowly to your regular intake of food.

With juice fasting I can lose almost half an inch from my waist in 3 days.

My family juices almost everyday using a high quality masticating juicer the Omega Vert 350HD. It's not cheap but well worth it. Raw juicing can cure a myriad of diseases and ailments.

To your health!

I have a Philips Avance 800w, brilliant piece of equipment,but i stopped juicing fruits after seeing a bald patch develop at the crown.I have since read up about it and it has to do with all the fructose,so what i do now is just juice veg and blend the fruit that way i'm getting all the fibre as well.

• 8 months later...

I have juiced off & on. You do want to worry about too much fruit for sugar content. Once a day is a good idea. I like to mix veggies & fruits. One of my favorites is carrot, apple, celery for something sweet. You can also go spicy w/ apple, carrot & ginger. Another good sweet is beet, cucumber and celery.

• 4 months later...
Juice cleanse can also be referred as a juice fast. Ideally, you should do this for three days if you want to lose fat as well as detox at the same time. Keep your meals to a very minimum and replace them with soups and smoothies if possible. Avoid meat, processed foods and high trans fat oils.

If you're juicing, use hard veggies and fruits. Apples, carrots, celery are great. For softer fruits, like blueberries, strawberries, bananas use a high speed smoothie blender. You can add hemp seed, oats, cinnamon, cacoa, green tea powder to your mix and use almond, coconut or rice milk instead of full fat pasteurised milk. Adding Chlorella or Spirulina is good for cleansing toxic waste from your body.

I would not add protein powder, unless you want to build/repair muscle.

Once you have completed your 'cleanse', you need to wean back slowly to your regular intake of food.

With juice fasting I can lose almost half an inch from my waist in 3 days.

My family juices almost everyday using a high quality masticating juicer the Omega Vert 350HD. It's not cheap but well worth it. Raw juicing can cure a myriad of diseases and ailments.

To your health!

what a informative answer given by you

thanks i like it and 100% agreed

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I tried juicing twice a week for a month and it felt good. My favorite is apple/carrots/beets/lemon/cucumber. I used to drink this in place of my meals and snacks but then I started adding broiled egg or salad (no to little dressing) to eat just to have something in my stomach.

• 6 months later...

Just make sure you keep your blood sugar on a normal range and you're okay. The only problem with juicing is even though you are taking fruits in reality the sugar in it is still an issue for some people who may an problem with their sugar.

• 1 month later...

There are so many juicing recipes you can find online. They also created juicing recipes depends on what you need. If you want to lose some weight try to follow their recipes. However, if you have health concern better to consult a doctor first.