Dr. Feller (NY) Reputation and Results?

Bdm1975

I'm looking to get a hair transplant done in the New York area. Preferably FUE. I'm a Norwood level 3a and I've heard great things about Dr. Feller according to reports and results by patients in this forum.

I have 3 questions maybe someone can help me with...

1. From patients that have gone to Dr. Feller, I've noticed on his website, most of his operations have been FUT, I prefer FUE but is that by patients choice or Dr. Feller?

2. What are your personal thoughts on Dr. Feller? Easy to work with?

3. Is Dr. Feller really one of the best in New York? I'm trying to avoid Bosley as much as possible according to most of the posts on here.

Appreciate the help!

Bdm,

Dr. Feller is both an excellent surgeon and a very approachable, personable guy. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation and speaking with him. What's more, he's an FUE pioneer, and if he believes you're an appropriate candidate, I see no reason why you couldn't pursue a procedure with him.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you Blake. I think I will contact him and try to get some more information. I only have one more question. Generally a Class 3a patient is about 2500 grafts? What's the ball park range $ wise? Just curious. Thanks!

Bdm,

Here is a link to Dr. Feller's cost breakdown.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

For 2,500 grafts I think Dr Feller will most probably recommend strip. He is not a big fan of big FUE sessions. I personally prefer the work of the surgeons in Belgium and Turkey when it comes to FUE if that is what you are after.

Is there a major difference for a doctor to perform a FUE instead of a FUT? I'm thinking the result should come out the same when it comes to the final results shouldn't it?

If I were to go with Dr. Feller, I would do strip with him, as he's very affordable with his strip surgeries. However, he's a bit expensive with his FUE surgeries. There are other doctors out there who do very good work for significantly less. That's just my two cents though. If you're dead set on him for FUE, go ahead. However, if it were me, and I were doing FUE, I would be either with Dr. Lorenzo (in England or Spain), or one of the many Turkish doctors who charge as little as 1.5$/graft as compared to 7$+ in the USA.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

3. Is Dr. Feller really one of the best in New York? I'm trying to avoid Bosley as much as possible according to most of the posts on here.

I'd certainly say so. IMO he's one of the top docs all around, and he's pretty funny and laid back to boot. His consultations are real casual, and he certainly doesn't put on any airs. As a result, some people (especially those who have a set idea as to what all docs should act like) might consider him aloof/arrogant, as I've heard that criticism before. I dunno, I got along swimmingly so it must be my personality. In regards to graft amount and his probable recommended technique, I'd bet with mickey being right. But that's what consults are for and ultimately it's your decision.

Anyway, NY in general is home to a strong group of talented HT doctors, so there's no reason to even remotely consider Bosley when looking in that area. However, remember not to limit yourself based solely on location, especially when considering FUE. I have to agree that the most impressive results are happening overseas in that regard.

Best!

I prefer a HT doctor in NY that has a great reputation with the FUE procedure. Only because I like to shave the sides of my head and back pretty close. I've read that the FUE procedure is better then a FUT in that case. I really have no preference in which doctor in NY, so if there's any other doctor that uses the FUE procedure with a great reputation, I'm willing to choose that HT doctor instead. So if anyone has any other recommendations, that would be great!

Feller was charging 10$ per graft last i heard but i woukd be very very surprised if he did an fue procedurefor over 1000 grafts.

Feller is 10$/graft. Personally, the best FUE doctor in the world, Lorenzo, chargest I believe 8.45$..... I dunno, when people say money shouldn't be a deciding factor, they're either wrong, or rich. Money is always a huge factor. However, never sacrifice QUALITY!! If you can get great quality for less, why not? That said, Dr. Feller is a wonderful doctor, and one of my top choices overall, albeit, I would only choose him for an FUT procedure

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I think the general consensus for anyone on the boards is, the best FUE surgeons are in Europe and the best strip surgeons are in the USA and Canada. As far as notable FUE surgeons in NY, Feller is the top of my list. As has already been said, that's limiting your search to New York..

It's sad that the USA doesn't really have that many FUE surgeons, but that's just how it is. I think that's going to change drastically in the coming years, but as of right now, you're going to save a lot of money, and get much better results, going to Europe for your FUE surgery.

Mickey is the forum FUE guru, I would listen to what he says. he won't steer you down the wrong path. However, he is somewhat biased towards FUE :D.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Mickey is the forum FUE guru, I would listen to what he says. he won't steer you down the wrong path. However, he is somewhat biased towards FUE :D.

Thanks!

Mickey! It's on you! If I had a choice ONLY in Ny for a FUE doctor the choice is?

Thanks!

Mickey! It's on you! If I had a choice ONLY in Ny for a FUE doctor the choice is?

I'm just going to guess and say that he would choose Feller. :D But he may not stop his answer there :). Cmon Mickey!! Answer!! :D

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I'm 1 year and 2 days post op 2000 strip with Dr. Feller and I can't speak highly enough of him, his team and how it's turned out for me.

Based on my experience I'd recommend him for strip all day long. Can't (and wont) comment on FUE as many are better placed than me to do so!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Congrats tommy, didn't realise it had been a year!! You happy with your outcome or planning anymore???

Personally although you keep sayin best fue in n y, the best advice for fue is Belgium or turkey, there is no stand out fue New York surgeons as far as I know, some good fut but not fue with consistent results!!! You really really should look into Belgium and turkey or of cost isn't too much of an issue, Manchester uk for Lorenzo as he is again outstanding at fue and is teaming up with dr farjo in the uk!!!! Good luck with whoever you decide!!

Who is the best FUE HT doctor in New York? Other the Feller who seems to be more of a FUT doctor, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

My gut feeling would be Carlos Wesley, MD. Worth a consult.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

If you are dead set on NY and dead set on strip, I would go to Feller.

How many grafts do you need?

I personally think that you are doing yourself a great disservice limiting yourself to New York for FUE.

Dr. Lorenzo, right now, is probably the best in world right now doing FUE. There are some Turkish docs that are putting out good stuff too.

SMG and Rahal also do some good FUE. Mattj's is a killer example.

I think a lot of it depends on how many grafts you need too.

By reading you posts, you should probably not get in a hurry and do some more research before you jump into anything just yet.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If you are dead set on NY and dead set on strip, I would go to Feller.

How many grafts do you need?

I personally think that you are doing yourself a great disservice limiting yourself to New York for FUE.

Dr. Lorenzo, right now, is probably the best in world right now doing FUE. There are some Turkish docs that are putting out good stuff too.

SMG and Rahal also do some good FUE. Mattj's is a killer example.

I think a lot of it depends on how many grafts you need too.

By reading you posts, you should probably not get in a hurry and do some more research before you jump into anything just yet.

This is my first time ever on these forums and I'm just trying to gather information. Thank you all for the great advice!

Agreed on all points made so far. If you're dead set on FUE, I'd take the time to look at FUE all over the globe as it's still not ultra mainstream just yet. I agree with Rahal giving good FUE results and he's only a hop away in Canada. The real heavy hitters are across the pond in Europe though.

Since you seem like you're set on FUE, and want to shave down your sides, I would say stick to your guns and don't be swayed from it, even if that means travelling. Hair Transplants while not major surgery, are still surgery nonetheless, and bring a lifelong commitment with them. Just make sure you understand that before jumping right in. I decided on FUT based off of months of research, a long term game plan, pricing, prior knowledge as to how I scar, and the fact I haven't shaved down below an #8 guard in 5 years. So if you do the same, and feel the same about FUE, stick with it and do it right.

With that said, Feller, Wesley, True & Dorin would be my NY choices in that order. Beehner is good too, just a little too conservative for my taste.

If time and or cost is not an issue (and I know that's a big IF), Spanker is telling you bluntly, don't consider FUE in NY. So are several other posters on here because these NY physicians (based on what the posters have reported) have developed their FUT skills more so than their FUE skills. I can say I consulted with a coalition doctor who made it very clear that his FUE results were not as good as his FUT results; that being said, his FUT results are excellent - above all, however, I very much appreciated his honesty.

Does anyone know if Dr. Lorenzo is going to continue to perform FUE in Spain as well as London? And would the price be the same in both locations?

Spanker....why didn't you mention Belgium? Just curious.... :)

I know there are a lot of people that have been happy with Dr. Feller, but I am personally not a fan. I think he is very overrated.

While not every doc bats 1000, his reactions to these cases have been very unprofessional in my opinion. There are several examples on this board. Click on this link, and look especially at all of the locked threads.

Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients - Search Results

I have met with him in person, and he exhibited this same type of behavior.

Also, be aware that he requires one of the largest deposits in the business of $2500. Note that this is NOT REFUNDABLE at any point, so be absolutely sure you feel that he is the right choice for you.

With so many other great docs out there, I would look elsewhere.