Scratched grafts

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the information here. I recently had 1,505 FUE from a reputable clinic. 12.5 days post op I scratched the recipient area during my sleep. There was no blood, but I'm afraid the itching was quite forceful, and many crusts and hairs came off. Some hairs were attached to crusts while others seemed to be just single hairs. My post instructions clearly tell me not to touch the recipient area for 14 days. How much damage did I cause? Please, any answers would be really appreciated, it was expensive and I would like to find out the truth. Thank you

No need to worry as everyone else has mentioned. Your grafts are secured/anchored by day 9-10, so it is essentially fine at that point to touch the recipient area without worrying about dislodging and damaging a graft permanently. I would still be as gentle as you can for a while, but it is very unlikely you did any harm in this particular instance.

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I caught myself itching at the area a few times as I was sleeping as well. Like others said, if no blood, no worry. That at least what I keep telling myself.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Itching is one of the side-effects post-op and a good indication that healing is taking place. Some docs advocate the use of topicals enriched with vitamin E and or ingredients like aloe vera to help offset the itching sensations.

I agree that you did not lose any grafts and for most patients who heal normally, that at 12 days post-op, your grafts are secure.

If you would have dislodged a graft, you no doubt would have noticed a strong trickle/stream of blood in the recipient area.

And typically when the grafts shed, the hair shafts come off with the crusts.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY