Shock Loss or Problem ?

elshugh

HT Aug 04, 2 sessions 1500ea. Day 3 post op HT looked great, lots of coverage. I was stage 5a before. After about 1 week the scabs started to come loose and for couple days I wouuld use my fingers to work them out. Sometimes scratching lightly to loosen them . Now I am approaching 4 wks and have noticed considerable hair loss.

I still have grafts that are still visable but 75% are gone. Should I be able to see the holes created where the grafts use to be or would they not be visable. I am using rogaine 5% and proscar daily as directed by my Dr. As of today you would not be able to tell I had anything done. I want to believe they will come back but from what I have read from this board it(shock Loss ) is expected. Just hard to believe they are almost gone. Someone please ease my mind.

I tried to attach a picture of me on 3rd day post op, so hopefully it will work. If it does I will post a current one.

82304.jpg.5a1f2455adc7bbf02d30f256e56d9dc8.jpg

HT Aug 04, 2 sessions 1500ea. Day 3 post op HT looked great, lots of coverage. I was stage 5a before. After about 1 week the scabs started to come loose and for couple days I wouuld use my fingers to work them out. Sometimes scratching lightly to loosen them . Now I am approaching 4 wks and have noticed considerable hair loss.

I still have grafts that are still visable but 75% are gone. Should I be able to see the holes created where the grafts use to be or would they not be visable. I am using rogaine 5% and proscar daily as directed by my Dr. As of today you would not be able to tell I had anything done. I want to believe they will come back but from what I have read from this board it(shock Loss ) is expected. Just hard to believe they are almost gone. Someone please ease my mind.

I tried to attach a picture of me on 3rd day post op, so hopefully it will work. If it does I will post a current one.

elshugh,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your hair restoration procedure. Even though this was your first post you seem pretty well-informed and I wish you the best possible success with your 3000 new best friends.

A degree of shock loss can be expected in the weeks following the procedure. You are doing a good thing in utilizing minoxidil and finasteride. This will help to control the shock loss as much as possible. If you aren't already, you may want to apply the minoxidil to your recipient area for at least a little while (perhaps up to the 3 or 4 month mark). It has been repeatedly suggested that this can assist the newly planted grafts.

I am a little concerned that you were picking at the scabs. I am sure that you were as gentle as possible and believe me, I know that they can be a pain, but you may want to try a shampoo called Aqua Glycolic (you may have to ask the pharmacist for it) for that and other dead skin that can accumulate on the scalp. It worked wonders for me. I rotated that and Nizoral 2% for what I believed to be an optimum scalp therapy regimen in the first few weeks post op. I still use Nizoral 2% about 3 days a week because I find it helps with the annoying scalp itch that can occur either through alopecia or the use of minoxidil, but that's just me.

I do not think you should be concerned about the transplanted hair coming out. This is natural in the process and is actually probably the toughest part to watch them all go. Do not worry, they will return shortly and you can watch yourself "balding in reverse" as I have heard it put.

Your picture shows that you got an ample amount of "acreage" covered. May I ask who performed the procedure? How is your donor area faring?

I wish you the best with your new head of hair.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks for the reply. I guess just be reassured is the best medicine. To answer you questions I was careful when scratching. I was not sure if I should use the rogaine on the HT grafted area but will start to apply from now on, thanks.

Right now I do not have any more dead skin or flaking of the scalp area. Dr. Brad Limmer from San Antonio was my doctor. He was very nice and I would recommend anyone using him.

My donar area was the worst part of the operation. Hurt like hell for 4 or 5 days after. Now is just alittle tender but for the most part almost back to normal and scar is hardly visable when I pull the hair back to view. Doc did great job in that area. Very pleased.

elshugh,

Good to hear that you were pleased with your experience.

It is normal to feel a little anxiety at this stage of the game. Waiting is definitely the hardest part. Hang in there and pretty soon you will be enjoying watching those little guys sprout up.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

Els: I'm pretty much in the same boat, it took two weeks before the shockloss but it was pretty similar to you. I had my HT on 9-3-2004 so I'm DEEP into the waiting game. Hope it turns out ok.

Glad to hear the moderator feels this is normal!!!

Btw, I'm a 5A also, but more diffuse thinning.