I have had very thin temples since childhood and recently have seen some thinning in the hairline -- it is not as solid as I'd like it to be. I have pretty thick hair over all otherwise.

I went to consult for an FUE and was denied a transplant to fill out the temples/partial hairline.

The surgeon said that the donor hair is much thicker than the hair in the front/crown area and would draw more blood to the new grafts which would make hairloss worse and speed it up in the surrounding area as result because the rest of the follicles would not get enough blood supply or something along those lines.

I don't know if this makes sense but it does definitely concern me and put me off a HT. Is there any truth to this "new" logic/theory? Any suggestions or anyone that has had their hairline restored?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Edited by JonnieGood

I have never heard of a reason like that given and frankly it sounds like rubbish. I can understand if you were denied however since it sounds like your loss is negligible and the doc may have thought you should just hold off for now.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

who was the doctor? There are lot of things that could rule you out as a HT canidate, but the blood supply bs you're talking about isn't one of them. Maybe they were talking about the risk of permanent shock loss being too high in your case, I'm not sure but that is the only logical conclusion I can come up with from what you've written.

I've never heard that thick hairs require more blood than thin hairs. However, I can kind of make sense of the accelerated loss post transplant. Hair loss is caused by DHT which is carried by the blood. More blood = more DHT which could affect the surrounding hairs. That's my guess. Or he was just trying to scare you away.

I really don't think that's true.. What Dr did you consult????? Get a second opinion..

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily