Donor area pain after FUE

Hello guys, first I wanna say that I'm really glad I found this Forum, I have felt like I was the only person on earth with these pains.

Now I'm six days after surgery and I suffer from severe pain that began on the second day after surgery/third.

First of all I must say that during the operation I felt tremendous pain. I felt any needle that pierced the scalp (2 sessions , 4300 follicles, the first day was a nightmare for me).

The pain focused in the donor area (not only), The pain became stronger especially when I put my head on the pillow (90 degrees). It?s not constant but it?s coming in waves/attacks at nighttime/evening and feels like needles or knifes in my head that makes me shivering. This can last for hours. I don't know what to do anymore! I'm exhausted after four sleepless nights but still can not sleep. I'm worried and depressed. I can't deal with this pain anymore (I really don't care about itching). I just want it to end but when?

Painkillers (Ibuprofen 400) are helping only a little bit. The same thing with cooling the donor area.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things should start improving soon.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Things should start improving soon.

11 days after the HT I don't sleep well at night.

It's getting better, but it still hurts. I still feel the pressure on the top of the head and I still have the feeling that my head is burning at nights.

Of course it's not the same pain as it was in the beginning (3 of 10 pain scale).

I'm still taking painkillers (Tramadol drops and Ibuflam 800 mg).

I'm starting to worry that it will remain so forever.

I read about it on the internet about people that suffer from pain even after twenty years....

I'm really worried, I don't know what to do or think

Experiencing some improvement is a good sign and unlikely that this would be permanent. Lots of nerves get severed when that many incisions are made during the procedure. It does take some time for the nerve endings to heal but the good news is that they do heal.

I always suggest that you stay in communication with your surgeon for advice and direction.

Meantime I wish you the best in recuperating from the discomfort.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 4 months later...

I'm having this pain described right now from day 4 and today is day6 post op, the last two nights I have had an 1 hour sleep as I can't bring myself to lay on my support pillow as it's just too painful, I'd rather not sleep but can't keep avoiding sleep for much longer.

It's strange how accurate others have described this. It's about a 8/10 for pain and intensifies in the evening after 8pm.

I really hope this doesn't last for 30 days like some have stated. I'm hoping day 10 by the latest!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Iam haveing the same problem with the donor area after 2000 grafts

3 weeks ago and since the 3rd day iam haveing these pins and needel

Sensetions around the donor wen touched feels like its burning , how long

Does this take to subside , has everyone her recoved fully,

This is realy freaking me out please help with your experience as iam experienceing the same issue ??

IMG_1778.thumb.jpg.857819bc890f06f21ef85bed3af7afc7.jpg

IMG_0008.thumb.jpg.037e68fd10370c87e811241dd150d0bd.jpg

Lol thanks , heard so much stuff like its unsual what iam experienceing, until i got on this forum ,

How long does it take to normally recover from this bloody pain ? Sometimes i feel pressure around my head and pain when i turn my neck are these are normal well not normal but for some people to go throw like my self ?

Hopefully you won't experience this again...will you be going back to the same surgeon?

Gillenator

Hopefully you won't experience this again...will you be going back to the same surgeon?

Hi thank you

No way i woulwdent even think about doing a ht any more iam in alot of pain i think theres been a nerve damage , do you know could it be permanent or how long to heal ?

• 3 months later...
Hey Guys,

I recently underwent a FUE . I am 6 days Post Op and I feel a burning and pinching sensation in my scalp donor area. Its nothing that I can not bear but on a scale of 1 to 10 , I would rate this pain as 6-7. Is this normal ? I am alittle concerned because its causing me a great discomfort and I have to get back to work in few days from now. With this pain its hard to concentrate.

Its worth noting that beard donor area has been absolutely fine with no pain at all.

I have sent an email to my doctor regarding this and awaiting a reply from him. Meanwhile I thought I would ask experienced people here in the forum to figure out if this is something I should be worrying about ?

I recently had my second FUE and experienced the same discomfort in my donor from day 3. On a scale of 0-10, I rate it as a 4 however just one Ibuprofen tablet (200mg) reduced it to a 1 and really helped me sleep. I am now day 11 and the discomfort has significantly reduced.

Considering the thousands of punches (and the injections), I think surprising that this is considered a "rare" occurence.

I also experienced the same discomfort after my first FUE.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, London Geezer said:

Good to find this thread, I'm having the exact same experience now after 4600 grafts FUE

The pain is excruciating, especially at night times 

It WILL get better. In my case, on day 10 it was still really painfull (painlevel 8/10), and a day later, out of nowhere, it dropped significantly, to something like 2/10.

I took ibuprofen (400 mg) and paracetamol (1000 mg) every six hours, starting from day 4.

I used to set my alarm clock at night to wake up and take the pills to avoid the painkillers wearing out. 

On 7/27/2016 at 7:31 PM, consensus said:

I have had a FUE operation last week and I am still experiencing this pain in the back of my head.

It is now day 8 and the pain started on day 4 out of blue.

I have been advised to wait 2 weeks for the pain to wear out by the patient advisor.

The pain is a mixture of burning, electric shocks and thumping and as you all have said, it gets worse after 7-8pm at night.

I take 200 mg Advil every 4 hours and it decreases the pain to 50% but nothing more. I have been sleeping 4 hours a day for the last week and am really exhausted.

This is something serious to be aware of when deciding to undertake FUE and it is not mentioned by the clinic most probably for marketing reasons.

I hope the pain won't be permanent for all of us.

I guess time for an update to this. Mine healed on the 12th day of the surgery and it happened pretty much instantly. Pain reduced to 5/10 on the 11th day and pretty much disappeared the next day.

Still, it was the worst week of my life pain-wise. I lost a few kilos.

Apparently it happens with some of the patients and the intensity varies from one person to another.

Doctors and nurses just play it down, don't tell you or don't care afterwards.

On 8/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, London Geezer said:

Good to find this thread, I'm having the exact same experience now after 4600 grafts FUE

The pain is excruciating, especially at night times 

That's a considerable amount of extractions so it's certainly understandable how the intense the pain can be.

Gillenator