Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Lorenzo is definitely killing the notion that FUE is only good for minor recession :)

The idea that FUE is inferior seems a bit odd to me. a graft is a graft, whether or not it is derived from an extraction or strip. Lorenzo has wonderful results, however, this guy has an unusually large amount of donor.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Nick, chances are that this patient opted for a compromise in the donor area to achieve this amount of grafts. He was probably happy to lose the option to shave down to a grade 1 or 2 if it meant a few more thousand grafts. Im not saying every patient has 10,000 available graft but i do believe the number is flexible depending on the options the patient wants. Some doctors are willing to extract more of the donor area than others. Generalky the fue exclusive surgeons give the option to extract more.

Nick,

At this point, I believe that FUE has proven to be on par with strip in the best hands like Dr. Lorenzo. I think what hair restoration physicians are trying to determine now however, is whether or not FUE can consistently produce results on par with strip. One of the questions to be answered is whether or not all candidates for strip are also candidates for FUE? I know Dr. Lorenzo would answer "yes" to that question.

Both donor harvesting techniques (FUE and FUSS) come with advantages and disadvantages, but several leading surgeons have recently proven that FUE can produce "wow" results on par with strip.

Kudos to Dr. Lorenzo and other leading hair restoraiton surgeons who've advanced and innovated FUE to what it is today.

Best wishes,

Bill

Mickey, how many FUE surgeons can do FUE for > NW4? Apart from a handful of surgeons liek Lorenzo, Erdogan, etc, not many. Even Bisanga and Feriduni use FUT for larger procedures. Remember, this was FOUR procedures and very costly. As a result it may not practical for your average dude....

Edited by KO

Mickey, how many FUE surgeons can do FUE for > NW4? :Apart from a handful of surgeons liek Lorenzo, Erdogan, etc, not many. Even Bisanga and Feriduni use FUT for larger procedures. Remember, this was FOUR procedures and very costly. As a result it may not practical for your average dude....

Atticus: Reply to KO's statement - "Mickey, how many FUE surgeons can do FUE for > NW4? Apart from a handful of surgeons liek Lorenzo, Erdogan, etc, not many"

Dr. Umar has done very large FUE cases on NW7's with good results. He is one of the elite, who does not do FUT and only specializes in FUE and BHT.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Umar's results have not been cosmetically impressive, especially with BHT, given its limited cosmetic utility. I do not believe he has publicly displayed results that match Erdogan or Lorenzo or Hakan.

I will agree with this statement. However, Umar does specialize in giving those with high NW cases and low donor supply another option, albeit cosmetically less preferable to scalp hair transplants.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Mickey, how many FUE surgeons can do FUE for > NW4? Apart from a handful of surgeons liek Lorenzo, Erdogan, etc, not many. Even Bisanga and Feriduni use FUT for larger procedures. Remember, this was FOUR procedures and very costly. As a result it may not practical for your average dude....

I do understand and you make a good call KO. But something being possible and something being practical are two different things. I wasnt implying that anyone could get this kind of procedure done(9999 fue grafts), just that it CAN be done where many said fue was strictly for low norwood patterns.

Lorenzo, hakan, eser, de reys, umar, demirsoy, erdogan and Reddy all use fue exclusively and have restored norwood 5 and 6s without ever using a scalpel. Demand for fue is growing yearly as 40% of all procedures last year were fue(up from 20% two years prior). Not bad for a method that surgeons said. 'Its going back to the plug days'.

I think we should look at these super high number FUE procedures same way we look at super high number strip procedures. The vast majority of patients have nowhere near this many gratfs available via FUE, just like the vast majority of strip patients have nowhere near this many grafts available via strip.

the take home from this example is that fue can treat high norwood levels given they have the donor and the yield with FUE can easily approach that of strip in the right hands.

I think we should look at these super high number FUE procedures same way we look at super high number strip procedures. The vast majority of patients have nowhere near this many gratfs available via FUE, just like the vast majority of strip patients have nowhere near this many grafts available via strip.

the take home from this example is that fue can treat high norwood levels given they have the donor and the yield with FUE can easily approach that of strip in the right hands.

Fair call.

Atticus

I was thinking the same thing. The average person just doesn't happen to have 10k donor grafts available. For example, Dr. Umar specializes in cases other docs just don't want or simply cannot help. Due to his skill level, he often works on burn victims, or victims of other doctors butchery. He makes fue grow in to scar tissue for gods sake! Most of these patients have been robbed of precious donor hair by other docs.

In short, these patients cosmetic desires are merely to look normal, rather than look scarred and disfigured. They do not expect a mop of hair look, and they now this going in. The most important thing is that the patient is happy, and nothing else. We have to be careful and not make apples to oranges comparisons. Measuring this kid up with the perfect situation, 10k of head hair donor grafts, is not realistic. We all know that. Most NW4 to NW7's don't have nowhere near this amount of donor hair.

Atticus

Edited by Atticus

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Umar's results have not been cosmetically impressive, especially with BHT, given its limited cosmetic utility. I do not believe he has publicly displayed results that match Erdogan or Lorenzo or Hakan.

I don't think this guy, for example, was expecting a mop of hair. This case is using body hair only. Cosmetic wise, he looks excellent compared to before and after.

Atticus

I do understand and you make a good call KO. But something being possible and something being practical are two different things. I wasnt implying that anyone could get this kind of procedure done(9999 fue grafts), just that it CAN be done where many said fue was strictly for low norwood patterns.

Lorenzo, hakan, eser, de reys, umar, demirsoy, erdogan and Reddy all use fue exclusively and have restored norwood 5 and 6s without ever using a scalpel. Demand for fue is growing yearly as 40% of all procedures last year were fue(up from 20% two years prior). Not bad for a method that surgeons said. 'Its going back to the plug days'.

I don't think many people doubt that FUE can put out some epic results, but I guess you're targeting surgeons with your comments rather than patients....:cool:

I don't think many people doubt that FUE can put out some epic results, but I guess you're targeting surgeons with your comments rather than patients....:cool:

:) Forum members and patients tend to reiterate what respected surgeons say. When FUE was first revealed(I use that term loosely but that's another story) there was alot of backlash towards it, even before it had a chance to prove itself surgeons were saying it was going back to the plug days and that the transection rates would be too high. Look back to some really old(circa 2001) posts in regards to FUE on this forum, it is quite astonishing because most of those surgeons now incorporate FUE into their practice. I think they were right to be skeptical initially but many maintained those sentiments a decade later and downplayed FUE's usefulness for various reasons when it was evident that their statements were dead wrong. But I've said too much hehe.

What % of the available donor does Lorenzo usually allow for extraction? E.g. Dr Bisanga is typically 25-30%.......is Lorenzo a bit higher?

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

What % of the available donor does Lorenzo usually allow for extraction? E.g. Dr Bisanga is typically 25-30%.......is Lorenzo a bit higher?

I would say much higher. Especially given he doesnt use body hair all that frequently. Closer to 40 percent would be my guess but would be cool to find out from him.

The more and more I look at the results of FUE, the more and more I want to get it done. I don't regret having my strip surgery at all, and I don't want to downplay those who choose to do it, as there are many valid reason s to still have it. However, I really like how FUE has evolved into its own surgery that has withheld the test of time and now gives people additional options for whatever reasons.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I used to think the same thing Nick, but now I figure....since I already have a strip scar.....what is the point in paying double or more for FUE if I am going to have a second procedure done. Seems pointless......

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I used to think the same thing Nick, but now I figure....since I already have a strip scar.....what is the point in paying double or more for FUE if I am going to have a second procedure done. Seems pointless......

Ohh indeed. No disagreeing there. However, the recovery time kills me. If I could get away with going to Turkey for a surgery and end up paying about the same price, I may opt for that (strictly for the recovery time). I don't like this two months of decreased exercise that follows a strip.

A general question I've had is, what do they do with the second scar? DO they combine it with the first scar, or simply create another one so that there will be two scars?

I am now just realizing how off topic I am right now :D

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments: