Can hair loss stop/slow down?

Let's say a guy is in his early-mid 20s and his hair loss seems to accelerate, is there any possibility that it will stop or slow down? Or does hair loss ALWAYS go directly to a NW7?

What I mean is, let's say a guy gets a lot of shedding etc in his early 20s...Could the hair loss possibly just stop at a NW3, or will he progress to a VII no matter what?

No not everyone is destined to be a NW6-7. The mpb gene displace variable penetrance and effects everyone differently, even individuals in the same family. Many people bald to say a NW 3 and then stop or remain there for a long time. However if you are experiencing aggressive loss at an early age chances are you are heading to a high NW level. The best way to predict is to have a miniaturization analysis performed under magnification in order to try and predict the future balding pattern

I was wondering the same exact thing as you...

I'm 24 and until I recently got my hair cut I thought I was a NW3ish (only noticed recession). Since the haircut I noticed significant thinning in the front and what looks like diffuse on the top. Funny how a few months ago I was worried about a receding hairline. Now it's the LEAST of my worries. I'm hoping it stops soon, but I have a feeling i'll be void of hair by the time i'm 30.

Much more often than not, diffuse thinning means high NW to come. Medication and hoping it works is the best you can do for now. If surgical solutions is what you are looking in to, hopefully you have a good donor, or reasonable expectations.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

People can certainly stop at a certain stage. Not everyone automatically goes all the way to a NW7 some may stop a 3V or something else. If you go for a consultation the doctor will be able to look at you and see if there are any early signs of thinning or miniaturization in areas and what they predict you will go to. Also medication such as propecia and rogaine can significantly stop hair loss and reaching that NW level. I've seen many people who have a very good amount of hair on their bridges and crown and have lost most of their hair in the frontal third and were like that for many years.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians