another transplant growth timeline question

Hey there,

I have been looking at the advice and helpful topics posted here over the last few months but I have only become a member today.

I would like to ask you for your thoughts on the following. I received 2200 FUE grafts on Feb 15 of this year which means I am about to hit the 4 month mark on Saturday June 15. Up until a few days ago I have been very happy with the results. I saw new hairs starting even before some of the originally transplanted hairs shed and during the end of months 2 and through month 3 I saw some new hairs growing. During the last couple of weeks I saw more hair growing, some of which is very short but if I put on reading glasses on (for extra magnification) and look in a mirror in a well lit room I see some growing as the same color as the rest of my native hair and some coming through as very fine thin and basically unnoticeable hair unless you look very hard in a certain light. So based on the growth timeline I read I thought I might even be ahead of the average and I proudly walked into my hair transplant doctor’s office a few days ago (with a few days still to go to the 4 month marker). They are all incredibly nice in the clinic. I met with the sales consultant first who really does seem to have a passion for his job and is incredibly knowledgeable. I asked him how he thought I was progressing and he said “about average for my age” and that a younger man would have progressed further at this stage. I am 42, not that old! So then I went and met with the doctor, still feeling ok about being at least on average growth for the timeline. The doctor then had a look and said I was “behind the average” and that while the front was progressing well, just behind the hairline (about 0.5 inch) was not. I was shocked. I think he used normal glasses in a well lit room so I guess he may have missed the signs of the thin hair coming through which does not yet have color. He said not to worry yet though as maybe months 5 and 6 will make a difference. However, he said there was a chance maybe they won’t grow and if that happens they will transplant again at no additional cost to the spots that did not take. That’s a nice thing so say, but the cost to me is going through surgery and post-surgery routine again (only 1 week really, but still 1 week was enough). This surgeon has over 25 years’ experience in hair transplantation by the way so I would think he absolutely knows what he is talking about.

Anyway, my question really is, based on all the webpages I have read, that 4 months really is too early to tell especially when I am still seeing signs of new growth in places and the thin hair that can only be seen with a very close look. That thin hair was not there before (or at least not for a very long time). So in a nutshell I went in feeling confident for my check-up about my growth and now feel somewhat deflated. Surely a surgeon would know that 4 months is far too early to tell or lead a patient to feel deflated. I am confident they will keep their word and at the end of the year and replace anything that didn’t grow, but really what are your thoughts on the timeline and the story I have relayed above? I know we have to be patient, but after the doctor’s visit I am a little shocked. I was really looking forward to months 5 and 6 (the special months) and then the rest.

Hard to tell without photos I guess and maybe I will post some later.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

J8

I'm almost 59 years old and had an HT Feb 19. I had 3036 grafts to my crown and I see all the same small/tiny colourless/light gray hairs (1000s of them) + some black stubbly short hairs that never fell out since being implanted. I have been seeing them for around a month and they have been growing at a snails pace + I am constantly seeing pimples come and go. The doc that harvested my strip said that I would see growth at around 5 months and I'm guessing that would depend on the genetics of the person.

Thanks for the response. to me after all I have read, that a surgeon would say that he expected to see it all growing at 4 months, the words were "we planted more than that" seems strange I know they did plant more cause I have the close up after surgery photos. Anyway, while feeling a little deflated yesterday I remain hopeful and really think that he just didn't examine close enough to see the other small hairs coming through. But it still seems strange as its the first time I heard of a surgeon saying they should be all (or at least most) coming through at 4 months. He said not to worry unless nothing has happened in those areas by month 6 which give me another 2 full months.

Good luck with your transplant!

Way too early to be concerned. You are only in the beginning stages of growth. Hang in there and see what the next few months bring.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the feedback 'can't decide' and 'David'. I agree 4 months is nothing really, just surprised me what the doc said. Don't really want to name the doc here. But all of the people in the clinic are really helpful, strange but true, its almost fun going to visit them for check-ups. Thanks again!