Excellent day with Dr. Gabel

The day finally arrived and I had my hair transplant with Dr. Gabel. I am now a couple days out and doing great. I am following the instructions that he gave me very closely so I don’t screw it up – it’s all very easy at this point. I still have a little ache in the back of my head, but nothing that a few Advil wont take care of.

I wanted to share my experience with those who are considering a hair transplant. The day before the procedure, Dr. Gabel called to ask if I had any final questions. We went over a couple things, but I had done my homework and was set to go. I showed up bright and early and was greeted by his assistant who went over the paper work, reviewed my medical history, and took my blood pressure/heart rate to make sure all was good. After that, Dr. Gabel and I spent about an hour going over the game plan for the day. He told me what I could expect throughout the day, and drew out and discussed where I wanted the hair to go. He was very specific on how many grafts we were going to place in the front and in the back since I asked him to limit the amount based on my budget. Once this was all planned, I took some medicine, Valium, to keep me relaxed – that was a great feeling as I was awake, but felt really calm.

We went to the procedure room where the staff taped the back of my scalp up where the hairs were taken from. I laid on my stomach while he removed the donor hairs. I don’t recall how long it was as I slept for part of it. The only part that stung very briefly was when he did the numbing. It was no big deal – I thought it was going to be much worse, but actually he uses a device, which helped keep the pain down. The staff washed my hair and I was then sitting down in the chair. He numbed the front and the top of my head, which again was no big deal. We waited for a little while his staff were trimming my hairs. I was able to see how they cut the grafts, which was really fascinating. The process is much more involved than I had realized. He has microscopes, which really show the hairs well. He had about 4 people cutting them up. Once he had an idea of the number of grafts, he showed me how he makes his own incision blades that make each spot where the hairs are inserted. He makes several sizes to fit the different sized grafts. He then made all the hair sites and next he and Crissy, his assistant, put them all in. We stopped for lunch around noon then back in the procedure room to finish the process. Dr. Gabel and Crissy put all the hairs in until about 4:30 PM when the last graft was put in, all 2464 grafts. They then spent about 30 minutes checking all the sites and put a bandage on around my head, took some pics, and my friend drove me home.

The following day, I felt pretty good; just a little slow and tired. I went back to Dr. Gabel and his staff cleaned the area and checked over everything. They went over in great detail the instructions for the next few days and how to clean my scalp. So that brings me today which is 3 days out and now I feel good. I want to work out, but he does not want me to stretch the back of my scalp or dislodge the grafts so I’m going to sit tight until he removes the sutures next week.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience. For the procedure itself, it was quite evident that they do this all the time as there was never a time that I felt that the team was not in synch. They were all very pleasant and helpful, and were always asking if I was doing well or needed anything. I actually had a real lunch, Pad Tai, from the restaurant downstairs from his office – that was nice as I was hungry. Dr. Gabel was a real professional throughout the day. He was always making sure I knew what they were doing and had my questions answered. Even though it was a long day, it was comforting to have Dr. Gabel involved during the entire procedure; in fact, I think he put in the majority of the grafts.

I hope I did not ramble on too much; I gained a lot from reading other people’s experiences of other doctors so I wanted to let people know about my experience with Dr. Gabel. Dr. Gabel said he would put my photos up from the surgery day for me on this site. Overall, I am extremely pleased with how it all went. Dr. Gabel and his staff prepared me well and are true professionals and experts in what they do and I would not hesitate to recommend him to other people. I will do my best to document my progress.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website

dsm2894,

Congratulations on your excellent hair transplant experience with Dr. Gabel. He and his staff are truly world-class. I look forward to seeing your photos once they are posted.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 year later...

Its been a long time since I was on the site. Life just kind of takes over and you forget all about the ht. Its been over a year, almost 1.5 years and the hairs is growing out so well. I am really happy with how things have turned out. The hair covers my head just as I would have asked for. It is thick and awesome. It looks like a guy should look in his 50s as I had asked of Dr. Gabel.

I recently went in for one of my long-term followups with Dr. Gabel and we talked about my experience so I told him I would get back on here. Overall: Dr. Gabel and his team exceeded my expectations. After the procedure, he was always making sure everything was going well from calling several times during the first 10 days, and making sure I came back for follow up. At no time did I feel that I was neglected after the procedure - his enthusiasm and confidence was radiates when I walk in to the office. Staff are always ready to answer phone calls.

Since I was just there, he said he would put my photos up for me to compare before and after shots. I let him know I put my story here and he'll get them put here.

I'm extremely happy and will get more involved with the community.

Thanks.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website