What does it take to become a hair transplant technician?

Since I've had my recent HT, I've been semi-fascinated with the whole process. As such, I've been sort of curious as to what is required as far as certification and training to work in a hair transplant clinic? I bring this up because I've been planning on going to medical school for the past few years and just recently finished with my university studies. Becoming a hair transplant surgeon has been something creeping into my mind as my life has been more and more effected by hair loss, but especially since I saw how interesting the whole surgical process was.

Does anybody have any information about this that could potentially be beneficial?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Since I've had my recent HT, I've been semi-fascinated with the whole process. As such, I've been sort of curious as to what is required as far as certification and training to work in a hair transplant clinic? I bring this up because I've been planning on going to medical school for the past few years and just recently finished with my university studies. Becoming a hair transplant surgeon has been something creeping into my mind as my life has been more and more effected by hair loss, but especially since I saw how interesting the whole surgical process was.

Does anybody have any information about this that could potentially be beneficial?

Have you considered contact the doctor who did your procedure and asking him?

As a one-time HT patient, I would expect the following (aside from medical school):

Friendly Personality - Most first timers are extremely nervous. So a friendly doctor needs to calm and relax the patient. If someone is in a bad mood working on your grafts, then this would be a traumatic nightmare sitting on the chair, lol.

Attentive to Details - If doing FUE procedure, this job can be mentally exhausting. You got to have steady hands for a long period of time.

Availability - Working weekends is a must, since patients tend to be available for procedures on weekends. And must be able to work long hours starting early in a day, especially if the procedure is FUE.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I would contact your doctor and ask for advice to pursue this profession.

Don't become an HT surgeon become a hair loss researcher....we have enough HT surgeons... study stem cell biology etc.

Well, that's actually one of the fields I was thinking about going into. However, I've worked in a molecular biology lab before, and research gets time consuming and I tend to withdraw myself from human contact. I am a very social person and I like seeing immediate results. However, I may pursuit that. I just want to be a part of the field.

Does anybody from here know who or where I could contact to get information about research in the field towards a PhD (assuming I don't go the MD route)?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

• 4 months later...

I don't think that you have to be a certified OR tech to get hired. My advice, stay out of it. Radiologist make a killing, they can take call from home. Cushiest M.D. job there is and they make a killing.

I assume getting hired as a tech really depends on what job you will be doing as to how you are hired and what they look for.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Radiologist make a killing, they can take call from home. Cushiest M.D. job there is and they make a killing.

I agree with that. I had a friend I used to work with a few years back while he was finishing school to become a radiologist and after school and residency he immediately got a job as the head of the department at a hospital making crazy money, and he was one of the craziest guys I have ever known. He hired an assistant and literally did like zero work, spends most of his time getting drunk by the pool.

I agree with that. I had a friend I used to work with a few years back while he was finishing school to become a radiologist and after school and residency he immediately got a job as the head of the department at a hospital making crazy money, and he was one of the craziest guys I have ever known. He hired an assistant and literally did like zero work, spends most of his time getting drunk by the pool.

The Radiologist READS the CT scans, MRI's etc................where does your frind work so people can avoid that place

I had a radiologist tell me I had Bell's Palsey when I actually had a stroke....................needless to say his FORMER employer is light over a mil these days and I have what will probably be a life long disabilty that could have been avoided , instead I was sent home only to return to a different hospital a day later...................too late for the clot buster

The Radiologist READS the CT scans, MRI's etc................where does your frind work so people can avoid that place

I had a radiologist tell me I had Bell's Palsey when I actually had a stroke....................needless to say his FORMER employer is light over a mil these days and I have what will probably be a life long disabilty that could have been avoided , instead I was sent home only to return to a different hospital a day later...................too late for the clot buster

I don't know I haven't talked to him in a long time, but he didn't do any of that stuff because he had multiple radiologists and residents under him to do the work.

I don't know I haven't talked to him in a long time, but he didn't do any of that stuff because he had multiple radiologists and residents under him to do the work.

I doubt any hospital is hiring a guy out of his residency to be the chief of Radiology,

What hospital was he at so people will know they hire underqualified people and can thus avoid the place

I learned more than I ever wanted to know about radiology during my court case, and there were several departent heads called as expert witnesses, none appeared to be under 50 and none appeared the type to be getting drunk by the pool everyday.

Good to know your friend takes his job so seriously................what an AHOLE

Edited by Profoam

Wow I'm surprised this thread is getting brought back into the light. I am eventually planning on going to medical school, but wanted to take a few years off before I devote myself. I'm not exactly sure whether or not I want to be a HT surgeon or not, but it is in my mind. I thought that becoming a technician would help me decide, before I devote myself.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Wow I'm surprised this thread is getting brought back into the light. I am eventually planning on going to medical school, but wanted to take a few years off before I devote myself. I'm not exactly sure whether or not I want to be a HT surgeon or not, but it is in my mind. I thought that becoming a technician would help me decide, before I devote myself.

I imagine artistic ability plays into the equation, just like a plastic surgeon, it goes beyond being smart and the best dr's have skills that can't be taught

Who knows what the future will bring, the Artas robot seems like a major advancement, maybe someday the entire procedure can be done by a robot or they find a cure for hair loss