FUT vs FUE, graph question, please help

Hi, I've been doing hair transplantation research for a number of years on these forums, and have finally decided it's time to go ahead and go through with it. I've recently consulted 2 well known FUE doctors in Southern California, and have been told I need anywhere between 1500-2000 graphs. Today I consulted with Hasson and Wong and was told I will need around 3000 graphs, but of course with Hasson and Wong, it is a FUT operation. I was wondering why there is such a huge difference, is it because its a strip operation? I sent all 3 doctors the same set of pictures.

I am a 30 year old asian male, who has a very high buzz cut (0 clip), I was wondering if I could get some input from the community, on which doctors to seek out and what operation would be the safer bet, since scarring is going to be big factor on who I choose.

Thank you!

Don

if your hair is buzzed to a 0 guard it is very hard to access your current level of loss and present situation, which is probably the reason for the numbers varying so much. If you are in the care of a capable FUE surgeon then 2000 grafts via FUE is essentially the same as 2000 grafts via strip. The difference in quotes probably has less to do with the method of surgery as it does your hair being cut very short

Pics?

here's a picture of my top, front, and back..my back was grown out longer than how i normally have it cut. Judging from these pictures and my preference of cutting my sides short, what procedure would you guys recommend me doing? fue or fut?

front.JPG.095c4efe0c451097498b0c4955eebdbc.JPG

back.jpg.42b8a0fc2b09af9d9c6b063efaea9fdc.jpg

top.JPG.63d1e4c4b6b971a49fb96ad05aabe67d.JPG

Edited by gemini310

If you clip your hair usually to a guard 0 or 1, FUE will allow you to clip to a guard 1 or 2. FUT will allow you to clip to a guard 3 if the scar doesn't stretch. Given the small level of loss and penchant for shaving the back and sides very close, I would go FUE but looks like you would need 2,000 grafts rather than 1,500.

Hi, I've been doing hair transplantation research for a number of years on these forums, and have finally decided it's time to go ahead and go through with it. I've recently consulted 2 well known FUE doctors in Southern California, and have been told I need anywhere between 1500-2000 graphs. Today I consulted with Hasson and Wong and was told I will need around 3000 graphs, but of course with Hasson and Wong, it is a FUT operation. I was wondering why there is such a huge difference, is it because its a strip operation? I sent all 3 doctors the same set of pictures.

I am a 30 year old asian male, who has a very high buzz cut (0 clip), I was wondering if I could get some input from the community, on which doctors to seek out and what operation would be the safer bet, since scarring is going to be big factor on who I choose.

Thank you!

Don

Hello Gemini310;

I agree with other regarding the variation in graft numbers. These are also just estimates. Given that you like to wear your hair short, it seems FUE is the best route to go so the scar from a 'Strip Method' surgery will show through a close crop of 0, 1 or 2 and perhaps 3. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

here's a picture of my top, front, and back..my back was grown out longer than how i normally have it cut. Judging from these pictures and my preference of cutting my sides short, what procedure would you guys recommend me doing? fue or fut?

3 words: Doctor John Diep

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

When people are researching hair restoration and consulting with different doctors, it's very common for them to get confused when they start getting wildly contrasting graft recommendations.

The difference is normally based on one or both of these things:

1. The type of procedure the doctor performs. Lots of doctors perform work at the lower end of the density spectrum - somewhere in the 30-40 grafts per square centimeter range. This is compared to the 60-70 grafts per cm/2 that represents the higher end of what is normally possible. Some doctors might also have a higher hairline position in mind.

Remember that the larger the area to be covered and the higher the density, the more grafts will be needed.

2. For some doctors (many, actually) procedures with higher graft counts are outside of their comfort zone. They might not have the capacity within their clinic to perform larger sessions and their recommendations can often reflect their maximum procedure size.

I've spoken to many people who are about a 6 on the Norwood scale but have been recommended 2500 grafts by a clinic. A totally inadequate number for them which would most likely lead to disappointment with the result.

However, 2000 grafts isn't drastically low in your case and could probably achieve a pretty good result. I think 2500 might be a better number to aim for with FUE, if this is within the capacity of the doctors you consulted with.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I agree with matt and brian. If you can sport a zero clip, save your money. I agree with matt that you need well above 1500. 2000 would probably be adequate as asian hair is great to work with, but 2500 would be better.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.