I had my first surgeries with one of the best surgeons I could find. He was a president of the International Society Hair Restoration Surgeons, well respected by his peers and a congenial and frank and friendly fellow to boot.

My scar was terrible and stretched. It was taken too high. The hair was planted like palm trees and at the same angle. The scars stretched. The plugs were wide and storky. The growth was stellar.

I asked about it at the time...but what did I know? He was the expert.. I was the guy with zero knowledge.

He said FUE was nonsense. He said mini grafts and micro grafts were not good enough for density. He soon changed his mind about the latter, but maintained FUE was hype last time I checked.

If you think, doctors enter the hair transplant industry to help us without regard to their bottom line you are on a cloud. If you think their techniques and practices are not economized to suit that bottom line and minimize their exposure to risk you are wrong.

And if you think the marketing shtick is not made to rationalize these choices of techniques and practices you are also ignorant. Like a school of fish swimming together for protection, clinics and docs have stuck to their rhetoric for decades and thousands upon thousands of people are wearing strip scars as a result.

I don't doubt Dr. Wong has given you a great result, but never assume that THE word of the doc/rep. doesn't come with baggage that needs to be carefully unpacked and examined.

This!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had both strip and FUE. While i hate my strip scar, having strip surgeries first enabled me to get the most grafts from my donor region. It is also an absolute fallacy when people suggest that FUE provides no donor area issues, it can significantly and visibly alter density in that area.

If you think, doctors enter the hair transplant industry to help us without regard to their bottom line you are on a cloud. And if you think the marketing shtick is not made to rationalize these choices of techniques and practices you are also ignorant..

So FUT doctors are in it for the botton line but FUE doctors are not?

And only FUT doctors ever have a bad result, but not FUE doctors?

And only FUT doctors use marketing shtick and not FUE doctors?

And whose "on a cloud"?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I've had both strip and FUE. While i hate my strip scar, having strip surgeries first enabled me to get the most grafts from my donor region. It is also an absolute fallacy when people suggest that FUE provides no donor area issues, it can significantly and visibly alter density in that area.

Oh of course, FUE does diminish the original density, but the chances of permanent numbness and tingling are less too.

Strip is WAY more consistent at providing good results and unless you are planning on really short hair, our office would strongly suggest strip. PLUS if you are likely to need more hair later on, Strip limits the quantity of scar tissue in the donor area.

I have posted lots of threads on scars and the writers above are correct...you can wind up with a bad strip scar from even the best of surgeons, but its not common.

Just yesterday I saw another 30ish year old Class 5 MPB patient who'd had 600 FUE's (more likely 2mm punches) to attempt to rebuild his frontal hairline... Now he presents for repair of that plus addressing some of the "further back" loss he's had since that procedure. Well his donor area is all full of scar and we'll be lucky to get 2500 grafts out of him and more likely 2200 at one setting since there is so much scar tissue in his donor region.

Fue is an excellent option but one which has pros and cons, just as strip does. Specifically ask the doctors you consulted with about their philosophy on these topics, then make your decision. Putting a case off til you are comfortable is not a bad thing.

Good luck.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Sound advice Dr Lindsey. A 'one size fits all' doesn't apply.

Only the other day a poster with a sub par FUE result mentioned he had been recommended Strip by one of Europe's most respected FUE operators.

The potential for future loss is something that definately needs to be thought through.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Sound advice Dr Lindsey. A 'one size fits all' doesn't apply.

Only the other day a poster with a sub par FUE result mentioned he had been recommended Strip by one of Europe's most respected FUE operators.

Exactly, one size does not fit all. So why does Dr. Lindsay draw upon the 2mm FUE punch job to illustrate the folly of FUE?? before squaring up with the familiar disclaimer, oh...it all depends, case by case. (We have to remember the punch delivered before the hand-shake!)

But he does go on to suggest, as our Dr. Feller has so often pointed out, that FUE creates more overall scarring!! Another familiar line to defend strip..and one that makes no sense...given HT is a cosmetic procedure and it is cosmetic scarring we are concerned with.

A well respected FUE doc recommended strip? So what does that tell you?

Of course they will. Their are several composite clinics that only recommend FUE for 'small' jobs or if characteristics are present that provide a justifiable refute, they will jump at it. Remember, that strip is far easier for the clinic and doc and many clinics want to maintain a composite profile.

As I've said so many times. I dislike plenty of what I see and hear about FUE and there is carnage of grafts, but really there is nothing whatsover here that Dr. Lindsay says should give a Dr. Lorenzo etc., cause for pause. And it doesn't.

Exactly, one size does not fit all. So why does Dr. Lindsay draw upon the 2mm FUE punch job to illustrate the folly of FUE?? before squaring up with the familiar disclaimer, oh...it all depends, case by case. (We have to remember the punch delivered before the hand-shake!)

But he does go on to suggest, as our Dr. Feller has so often pointed out, that FUE creates more overall scarring!! Another familiar line to defend strip..and one that makes no sense...given HT is a cosmetic procedure and it is cosmetic scarring we are concerned with.

Of course they will. Their are several composite clinics that only recommend FUE for 'small' jobs or if characteristics are present that provide a justifiable refute, they will jump at it. Remember, that strip is far easier for the clinic and doc and many clinics want to maintain a composite profile.

As I've said so many times. I dislike plenty of what I see and hear about FUE and there is carnage of grafts, but really there is nothing whatsover here that Dr. Lindsay says should give a Dr. Lorenzo etc., cause for pause. And it doesn't.

I'm not really sure what your rant is all about, it's kind of all over the place. Dr. Lindsey was referring to the fact that you will always have more donor available via strip no matter who the doctor is. That is the biggest advantage strip has over fue. There is really no way to dispute that fact.

Lindsey mentioned that after a minimal 600 fue that the patient he saw had a donor area full of scar. I dont see how cutting a 30x1x1cm strip of hair, flesh and tissue would be a better alternative. Lets see both shaved and see what is more evident.

Edited by Mickey85

He was stating a case he saw yesterday so I don't really see why you are criticising him for that.

Well I hate to tell you this but FUE does create more scar tissue area. Lets say you managed to get a 0.7mm punch size and 3000 grafts. That would make the total scar tissue area of 3000 x 3.14/4 x 0.7^2 = 1154mm^2

Now lets say you had 3000 FUT grafts and have a average scar 2mm wide and 350mm long. That's 2 x 350=700mm^2.

As understand it, the presence of scar tissue in the donor then makes it difficult to disect grafts via strip procedure. Clearly that will give you problems if you need more gafts in the future.

I'm sorry that you are unable to trust a doctor. The doctor in the case I menton suggested that over harvesting by FUE would leave no donor in the future, potentially leading to a compromised situation for the patient. This was a perfectly rational reason for reverting to strip.

Not sure what Dr Lorenzo has to do with it.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. And while I won't immesh myself in the debate as to whether FUT via strip excision or FUE is "better", I do want to address a few issues.

For instance, there is no doubt that many often resist change and would rather stick to what they're comfortable performing. FUE has certainly evolved in large thanks to patients demanding reduced scarring and dedicated FUE surgeons who work tirelessly to advance the field. In that respect, growth yield appears to beoften on par with the strip harvesting technique in experienced hands.

That said, I think it's unfair to assert that physicians who have mastered strip harvesting are giving poor advice because of income and/or a refusal to adopt FUE into their practice. While some may still resist incorporating FUE for their own reasons, today's strip excision technique in skilled hands often produces pencil thin scarring and unquestionaby stellar results. Furthermore, incorporating FUE into a physicians practice would actually increase overall revenue, so to argue that physicians are financially gaining by offering only strip excision is illogical.

I've enjoyed reading a well balanced debate between those who are proponents of FUE versus strip. However, I tend to believe that both techniques have merit and that the best way to maximize donor hair supply is by utilizing both techniques...not just one over the other.

As to which technique provides physicians with the ability to harvest more donor hair depends largely on the patient.

Technically, you can harvest more donor hair via FUE (than FUT), but at what point are you harvesting hair from DHT non-resistant areas and/or increasing the risk of visible scarring? Characteristics that affect this include donor hair density, scalp to hair color contrast ratio, hair characteristics (thick/thin/medium), healing characteristics, etc. Physician variables that affect this include the size of the punch, how many follicular units are being harvested per square centimeter, etc.

Many of the above characterstics plus initial and returning scalp elasticity ultimately affects how much donor hair can be harvested via strip excision.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with undergoing strip excision for an 1800 to 2000 graft case. My first hair transplant (and this was back in 2004) was only 1600 grafts and I could wear my hair on the sides and back at a level 1 clip without seeing any signs of scarring. That said, there is equally nothing wrong with undergoing FUE for the same number of grafts. It all depends on the ultimate goal of the patient and what they feel is best for them.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I agree with everything you said.

Like Dr. Feller I think BOTH techniques play an important role in hair transplant surgery.

It's too bad some feel it's either "their way or the highway".

In other words if others after careful study have arrived at

a different conclusion, they are to be demeaned for

choosing an "inferior procedure".

Personally I like FUT better, but if a patient or a doctor

decides FUE is best, then I feel no need to question

their judgement, character, or level of skill. I say

"I'm glad you decided what's best for you".

Good points Bill. As you know sometimes my views are out of the box. I really dont mean to offend anyone or make controversial posts however i really do believe that commerse is a factor is a factor alot of the time. Your are right to say 'fue would actually increase financial gain' however i some doctors are unwilling to perform it prolifically because they have not reached an equiliberium(spelling) with the method. If a surgeon knows that HE can obtain a better yield from fut(which translates into a better result,happy patient, word of mouth, more patients) then i do believe the surgeon will recommend fut over fue. its just strange that clinics that seldom practise fue often blame the method but surgeons that practise it equally(to fut) or exclusively alnosy never do. I do believe skill(which translates to a good result which translates to good word of mouth) to be a definite factor in surgeons recommendations. Again i dont mean to insult any one but there is a rationale behind my statements. Some tend to think doctors are infallible where i do not.

The OP is free to decide what they want and no on is putting a gun to their head'my way or the highway' and i will express my opinion everytime.

I think I have not made my point very well at all..

For the sake of clearing it up.

1) Well I hate to tell you this but FUE does create more scar tissue area.

2) As understand it, the presence of scar tissue in the donor then makes it difficult to disect grafts via strip procedure.

3) I'm sorry that you are unable to trust a doctor.

4) Not sure what Dr Lorenzo has to do with it.

1) Never,ind about hating to tell me, you did! and I didn't and don't disagree with that. It is a plain fact, as you point out with your arithmetic. No disputing FuE creates more scar tissue for comparable grafts.

But they key point is that it is that is cosmetically of no or almost of no consequence where as a strip scar most certainly is. Sounds familiar right? Sounds like a broken record? How often do you think I feel reading the same stuff over and again. Lol

And so it is soo frustrating to hear the old hackneyed line...FUE creates more scarring. And then it is justified on the remit that future strip ops are compromised!

2) and so I wouldn't suggest a creating a strip scar

3) Don't feel sorry for me! Lol., that is, if you actually do??? Are you pushing my hand on this one? Do you really honestly, truthfully, cross your little fingers, trust every little piece of information, or every pause of breathe, the very gaps that appear in the information stream, every nuance, every doubt you could ever posit, in respect to the 'facts' brought before you, as you research and ask the rep. about your transplant and the merits of FUE and strip. Do you trust the doc, but not the rep? Does the doc not trust the rep? Etc...

4) Why would some docs even bother with FUE?

I don't trust plenty of FUE docs to tell me all the facts too!! Don't worry about that, and nor do I believe FUE yield is as strong often, more often

I think I have not made my point very well at all..

For the sake of clearing it up.

1) Never,ind about hating to tell me, you did! and I didn't and don't disagree with that. It is a plain fact, as you point out with your arithmetic. No disputing FuE creates more scar tissue for comparable grafts.

But they key point is that it is that is cosmetically of no or almost of no consequence where as a strip scar most certainly is. Sounds familiar right? Sounds like a broken record? How often do you think I feel reading the same stuff over and again. Lol

And so it is soo frustrating to hear the old hackneyed line...FUE creates more scarring. And then it is justified on the remit that future strip ops are compromised!

2) and so I wouldn't suggest a creating a strip scar

3) Don't feel sorry for me! Lol., that is, if you actually do??? Are you pushing my hand on this one? Do you really honestly, truthfully, cross your little fingers, trust every little piece of information, or every pause of breathe, the very gaps that appear in the information stream, every nuance, every doubt you could ever posit, in respect to the 'facts' brought before you, as you research and ask the rep. about your transplant and the merits of FUE and strip. Do you trust the doc, but not the rep? Does the doc not trust the rep? Etc...

4) Why would some docs even bother with FUE?

I don't trust plenty of FUE docs to tell me all the facts too!! Don't worry about that, and nor do I believe FUE yield is as strong often, more often

Quoted for truth

Is it sad that I'm enjoying this argument?

It is not sad that you enjoy reading this argument, I enjoy participating in this topic too along with a few others who can have a constructive debate :) I'm sure alot of people would love for me, Scar5, Hariri etc to simply stop posting out sentiments but this is a subject that we feel very strongly about and a subject that has been overlooked, misconstrued, glazed over and dismissed for far too long. I will not be silent when a surgeon says "large FUE will cause confluence of scars" when that particular surgeon favors dragging a scalpel 1cm deep into scalp, flesh and tissue across 30cm top and bottom on the back of a patients head. I will not stay silent when someone in the industry says "both leave scars" but neglect to mention the serious underlying drawbacks of those scars.

I don't twist anyone's arm into FUE. I don't go into Hasson and Wong result threads and say "FUE is better". But when a member asks about both techniques or when a misleading comment is made, I will be vocal about it. Lots of people dislike me that comes with the territory and shows that they take things personal because they cannot separate the individual from the message. I'm sure Shampoo is a stand up fellow as I had a civil discussion with him in private relating to another matter and I do respect and read his opinions. But where he resorts to rhetorical questions like "how many surgeries have you performed?" it just shows that he has no substance on the matter and simply wants me to be silent. I won't. Contrary to Shampoo's belief that "anyone who has studied and come to a different conclusion is demeaned for choosing an inferior procedure" I have never demeaned anyone for choosing FUT except for myself. I do believe FUE to be a superior procedure but that does not mean everyone has to. Show me where I have demeaned ANYONE for choosing FUT over FUE? But keep on fabricating things to your liking Shampoo. Your lack of ability to debate in a way that is not rhetorical("How many procedures have you performed".. Like that negates the points I have made?) and full of half truths("My way or the highway" please...) just proves that you hold little to no substance.

Edited by Mickey85

It is not sad that you enjoy reading this argument, I enjoy participating in this topic too along with a few others who can have a constructive debate :) I'm sure alot of people would love for me, Scar5, Hariri etc to simply stop posting out sentiments but this is a subject that we feel very strongly about and a subject that has been overlooked, misconstrued, glazed over and dismissed for far too long. I will not be silent when a surgeon says "large FUE will cause confluence of scars" when that particular surgeon favors dragging a scalpel 1cm deep into scalp, flesh and tissue across 30cm top and bottom on the back of a patients head. I will not stay silent when someone in the industry says "both leave scars" but neglect to mention the serious underlying drawbacks of those scars.

I don't twist anyone's arm into FUE. I don't go into Hasson and Wong result threads and say "FUE is better". But when a member asks about both techniques or when a misleading comment is made, I will be vocal about it. Lots of people dislike me that comes with the territory and shows that they take things personal because they cannot separate the individual from the message. I'm sure Shampoo is a stand up fellow as I had a civil discussion with him in private relating to another matter and I do respect and read his opinions. But where he resorts to rhetorical questions like "how many surgeries have you performed?" it just shows that he has no substance on the matter and simply wants me to be silent. I won't. Contrary to Shampoo's belief that "anyone who has studied and come to a different conclusion is demeaned for choosing an inferior procedure" I have never demeaned anyone for choosing FUT except for myself. I do believe FUE to be a superior procedure but that does not mean everyone has to. Show me where I have demeaned ANYONE for choosing FUT over FUE? But keep on fabricating things to your liking Shampoo. Your lack of ability to debate in a way that is not rhetorical("How many procedures have you performed".. Like that negates the points I have made?) and full of half truths("My way or the highway" please...) just proves that you hold little to no substance.

Dude I have to say that for the most part I stay out of the FUE threads because it is something that doesn't interest me right now, but what's with the drama? Perhaps people are turned off by your condescending and snippy tone. We are all here to learn and share knowledge but you seem more interested in getting into pissing matches with people that don't agree with your way of thinking. Stop trying to diminish and put down the FUT doctors and do yourself a favor and grow up.

Dude I have to say that for the most part I stay out of the FUE threads because it is something that doesn't interest me right now, but what's with the drama? Perhaps people are turned off by your condescending and snippy tone. We are all here to learn and share knowledge but you seem more interested in getting into pissing matches with people that don't agree with your way of thinking. Stop trying to diminish and put down the FUT doctors and do yourself a favor and grow up.

Hey :) And no. Why don't you actually debate what I say? Isn't their a DISCUSSION forum? Geez some people can't take some opposing banter? I don't tell you to grow up so what's the deal man. I'm sure you are a stand up gentleman, how about hitting me a private message with your concerns and I will definitely try to accommodate. How does that sound? And maybe some are turned off by my message but alot(I mean ALOT) have complimented me in public and private. "Pissing match" is that what you call a debate? Can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen champ. This thread is SPECIFICALLY about FUE and FUT, did you think it was going to be otherwise? Until I break forum rules, this is totally above board. Why don't YOU grow up and actually debunk what I say and debate me? If I am wrong, point out where I am wrong instead of making pithy remarks.

Edited by Mickey85

The FUT vs FUE debates are always entertaining. In the end it always comes down to...

helicopter-hair-meme-generator-my-hair-is-a-helicopter-your-arguement-is-invalid-96e714.png?1307410236.jpg

Edited by SamSpade

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.

I'm sure alot of people would love for me, Scar5, Hariri etc to simply stop posting out sentiments but this is a subject that we feel very strongly about and a subject that has been overlooked, misconstrued, glazed over and dismissed for far too long. I will not be silent.

Mickey...have you noticed I and others really do not have a problem with the others?

No one wants you silenced.....look in the mirror dude.

You make outrageous statements that question the integrity, honestly, and motivations of the most highly recommended surgeons on this website.

Then you pretend to be the victim...people wanting you silenced...but it is you making outrageous unsubstaniated statements about doctor's integrity and motivations in regards to their patients that cause the uproar.

Look it's easy to see you are a smart guy. Probably a lot more book smart than I am....but you must realize the way you say things, the way you seem to be on a mission that "my facts make me right...Dr. Lindsey or whoever be damned" can cause problems with people. Realize people can study intelligently and arrive at different conclusions.

But where he resorts to rhetorical questions like "how many surgeries have you performed?" it just shows that he has no substance on the matter and simply wants me to be silent. I won't.

Notice that question came only after you question the integrity, honesty, and skill level of highly respected clinics and doctors recommended by this website.

You basically besmirch highly regarded doctors and question their integrity

because as you imply "well it's my way or the highway"...."my facts are right and the doctors not doing FUE are thus crooks or not skilled enough".

Think about it, you make demeaning unsubstantiated statements and maybe you will sometimes get counterpunched back. Is that a surprise? Bomb-throwers get bombs thrown back at them. That’s pretty much how life works. Bullies get punched back!

"I have never demeaned anyone for choosing FUT except for myself. Show me where I have demeaned ANYONE for choosing FUT over FUE? But keep on fabricating things to your liking Shampoo.

You have not demeaned anyone? Are you that blind and wrapped up in your own opinion that you can’t see the insulting claims you have made about these highly respected doctors and their clinics?

What do you call implying that highly respected doctors on this website steer their patients away from FUE, or dont offer FUE simply for financial reasons? Basically implying that FUT doctors know that FUE is better, but they dont care and just wanna make money off unknowing patients. That's insulting dude...can you not see that?

Or that these doctors just lack surgical skills and ability? That's not demeaning?

Do you not see that you assume the worst about people/doctors if they arrive at a different conclusion than you?

Can you comprehend that many of these doctors may have studied the issue and concluded FUT is an over-all superior procedure?

Many of these highly esteemed doctors have chosen FUT over FUE for their patients. Is it possible to arrive at an educated different conclusion than you and it not be because of some questionable motivation like financial reasons?

anybody thats a norwood 4 and up needs to do FUT, that we can all agree on , yes?

My opinion....No. This is only my opinion on what i have seen in regards to results coming out of Europe.

anybody thats a norwood 4 and up needs to do FUT, that we can all agree on , yes?

I don't know if I would make a blanket statement like that, but I do have similar views. If a patient has freakishly high density then FUE could possibly yield enough grafts over the patients lifetime to keep up with their loss.

My case is a prime example of why strip is now and will always be (until hair multiplication is a reality) a better option for a lot of patients. I started losing my hair pretty much as soon a puberty set in, and I have advanced loss. I have finer hair and lower donor density, so for me if FUE was the only option I would not have opted for a hair transplant because I wouldn't have been able to obtain a sufficient amount of grafts. However because I have very good laxity I have been able to obtain a little over 4000 grafts in total so far with more in reserve, if I chose to go with FUE I doubt I would have even been able to obtain 3000 grafts throughout my entire lifetime.

I feel like a broken record at this point, but for a large number of patients total donor availability is their biggest issue and for most of these patients FUE simply cant provide enough grafts over their lifetime. I believe I probably have a total of 7000-8000 donor grafts available to me via strip depending on how my laxity returns after each procedure. Whereas I would be lucky to get 3000 grafts in total from FUE alone which would not get me to where I need to be.

I think the Strip scar argument is similar to the propecia side effects argument. People who have had a bad strip experience think all the doctors performing strip are crooks and butchers who mutilate patients and think the procedure should be banned, while people with a positive strip experience think those people are fear mongers who over react because their scar is a complete non-issue. Just like people with propecia side effects think Merck is an evil empire that hides the facts about the drug and suppresses any future treatments, whereas people with no sides think those people are crazy. With both cases the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but all you ever hear is the two most extreme ends of the spectrum, and honestly it is becoming exhausting.