I fear I stretched my Donor scar, please advise. W/pics

So I'm not 100% sure, but I think i may have stretched a portion of my Donor scar. I fear I may have done this by working out to intensely prematurely. I've provided some pictures, I just took. I'm 4 months post op now. I believe the stretching occurred within the first month or so post op. oh and this is my second hair transplant. Roughly 2000 grafts both times.

I have a few questions. One, does the scar look stretched, and if so how badly? Two, does stretching of the scar prolong the healing process?, as I am eager to get back into the gym without fear of stretching. Three, can I expect to see the scar shrink?, I am using mederma. 4. Does this size of a scare seem to warrant a scare revision.

I'd appreciate any input.

image.jpg.f323ae188eb9f1e93e0ae4f5c7782f6d.jpg

Edited by Darsha5000

At 4 months post op i dont think it is shockloss. :( i hope im wrong. I was told 6 months and 12 months for the time period a scar can stretch so im not sure which is correct.

Hi Darsha

My shockloss lasted for more than 4 months in some places.

However, it doesn't look good. Scar tissue has only around 40% of the tensile strength of normal skin in the first few months, rising to around 80% after a year. So keeping away from the gym is good practice.

Looking at the photos it looks like there may be a problem here.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Not sure that "you" stretched it, but it is a wider than what would be considered a good scar.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Considering the last scare I had was about the same thickness all the way around, and was closed using staples, interior sutures, exterior sutures, which were all left in 10 days longer than this procedure, is it likely that I might just be predisposed towards wide scaring,and as such the best option would be FUE into the scar later down the road, rather than a scar revision?

That was a mouth full.

Good question. Even that time think I only weighted like a month. However I didn't even have the for thought at that point that my scar might be adversely effected. I wasn't lifting as heavy at that point though.

That looks like a stretched scar to me. That's exactly what my scar looked like at 4 months post op. I was hoping for shock loss, but now at 7 months the redness has faded and the stretched scar is confirmed. Best to forget about it reevaluate in 8 months. If you were in the gym during the first 2 months, that's most likely the culprit. Don't believe the rumors of returning to the gym within weeks after surgery. Some might be fine, but those are the lucky ones. I hate to tell you what you don't want to hear, but unfortunately that's stretch back.

You're welcome. Yeah I have a few pics although they aren't of the best quality. I will post them soon when I get access to them. Let me guess, your first scar was perfect or at least acceptable... Then this go around you are wondering what the heck is going on?

Well actually, my first scar was actually about as thick as the thickest portion of my new scar but all the way around. However it was sutured shut internally, externally, and with staples. So I don't know what to think. Are you planning on have FUE put into your scar eventually?

I'm going to go for a revision eventually. If it works great, if it doesn't, I might consider FUE into the scar to camouflage it. I'm probably pushing a NW6 pattern so I don't want to waste FUE grafts for a scar if I could use them up top. I returned to work 3 days after my 2nd procedure. Staring at a desk and computer with my chin pointed towards my chest didn't help me out. I'll take more time off and be more careful the 3rd go around. Hope for the best. Welcome to hair transplants right...

Hi Darsha

From your photo it looks like you still have some shockloss. I had the same - thin hair, downy hair, under the extraction line. It started to grow again after a little bit of gentle, sparing minoxidil application to the affected area.

There are a number of quite successful FUE-into-scar revisions around, but you need to choose your doctor carefully.A number posted here.

Right now you can do nothing but wait and see how you heal. At 9 months, decide what you want to do next.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Yeah that's what I was told as well. It's shockloss and it will return... just wait. I had a funny feeling it wasn't and what do you know... it wasn't.

All you can do is wait, but don't get your hopes up. Darsha5000, I posted a scar pic in my profile if you want to take a look.