Is Finasteride/Propecia not working for me?

Kirby0

I have MPB and have been using finasteride since January last year.

I am a Nw2 with DIFFUSE thinning in a Nw5 pattern with my crown the THINNEST point. I noticed I had MPB in November 2011 but looking at photos, it was visible in early stages in 2006, I just didn't realise it, and the progress of the loss was slow.

As of 16 months in finasteride I am concerned that fin DOES NOT work for me.

My hair is literally no thicker or denser since it was at day 1.

I have read in passing many forum posts on many forums people saying fin "thickened" hair at 3 or 6 months, that has not happened.

My crown is still see-through thin, that should be filled in if fin was working. I avoid supermarkets because the light makes me look bald on top.

I do not shed hair as much as before fin, or itch as much. That is the only sign that I feel Fin has ANY effect. No "thickening" or better looking ha?r all, I look visibly balding still and am a social recluse. I avoid relatives.

HOW can I find out FOR SURE that fin works for me? I am prepared to wait for results but it looks like I will not get any.

I would upgrade to Dutasteride but it is impossible to get legally for hair loss here. My GP will not give me fin or acknowledge hair loss is treatable so at the moment I use the last of fin prescription I got from a private dermatologist whom I can't afford to see again.

Two points.

- If you do not have side effects, DO NOT stop taking the medication

- Consider dutasteride, but NEVER come off these medications. (I ordered mine online from **outside link removed** waiting for it to come).

I am in the exact same situation as you, haven't seen any improvements, but I have made a commitment to taking this forever. If you like, you can start experimenting with additional treatments like RU/CB etc, but do not give up fin or dut.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

I'd be open to try Dut, but I'm finding it difficult enough to get Fin (although hopefully that could be fixed soon), hair loss treatments seem to a lot easier to get in the States and everywhere else judging from forums.

I don't intend to stop Fin, no.

Experimental treatments I'm going to rule out, too complicated and expensive and legally suspect.

Yeah, doctors are not usually willing to give dut to me either. Frankly, even my dermatologist at a top 10 medical school did not know about proscar. I think the best route is going online and ordering a generic (genuine Avodart costs $145/month), inhouse has gotten good reviews, I hope I get the real thing.

I don't wan to self medicate with medicines acquired illegitimately or illegally. Here in the UK, prescription medicines are VERY strictly controlled by the state.

Firstly, before I consider further options, how would I find out for CERTAIN that Finasteride doesn't work for me? The lack of regrowth or "thickening" after all this time is a SERIOUS concern for me.

Nobody can answer that question for you. Furthermore, why does it matter? You're not going to get off right? Essentially it is a moot point.

If you are unsatisfied with growth, then you can add treatments to your regimen. But that is up to you.

It matters because I don't want to take a risky medicine for cosmetic purposes if there is no benefit.

There must be SOME way to determine whether or not it is working, without having to wait years and years.

What terrifies me is that I have a solar panel on top which Finasteride hasn't done a jot to fill in. Whatever I've read has told me that Fin and Dut work best on the crown, that is my visibly balding area yet it is still thin after all this time on Fin.

solarpanel.jpg.fe1f3e6ec9f6b53d9a8a8d21dcdc091b.jpg

Yes I'm not a Nw 6 or 7 yet, but I'm still balding, and the hair loss is visible, certainly in bright lighting conditions. I should have had some regrowth or "thickening" in the affected areas on top if fin was working after 16 months

I wouldn't go on hair loss forums any more if my hair loss had been sorted with treatments.

Also, when I lose hair (say the odd hair on my computer keyboard or pillow), it's variable in terms of diameter, some hairs are fat and dark, some narrow and thinner. Is that a good or bad sign?

Are you using anything else besides fin?

I recommend adding minoxidil and nizoral shampoo to your regimen if you haven't done so already.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

Been using Nizoral 2% before I started fin, it's cheap and readily available and needs no prescription.

Regaine I don't want to touch that. I'm worried about facial ageing and heart damage from that stuff. Also, I didn't want regrowth from foam making it seem that Fin worked when it might not.

better chance of regrowth on the crown/vertex if you combine the minox with fin.

Indeed, facial aging may make you look older than you are, but then again, so does baldness.

6 in 1.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

1) Stop worrying. Not only is your hair loss not "that bad" but it isn't bad at all.

2) Minoxidil could help that crown a lot

3) Consider trying toppik or nanogen or some other concealer

4) If your hair loss has slowed down/stopped, then you know the Fin is working. Not everyone gets regrowth.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

1) Stop worrying. Not only is your hair loss not "that bad" but it isn't bad at all.

2) Minoxidil could help that crown a lot

3) Consider trying toppik or nanogen or some other concealer

4) If your hair loss has slowed down/stopped, then you know the Fin is working. Not everyone gets regrowth.

1. I'm not nw7 but in person I'm still noticeably, visibly balding. I don't look 'normal'. However I wouldn't need more than very modest regrowth from fin to be able to disguise my balding, at least anyone who sees my hair dry.

2. I will never use that harmful stuff. I don't want my face aged or my heart damaged. Also, you need to use minox for LIFE, or all of your DhT sensitive hairs that have become dependent on minoxidil DIE, the whole lot. The Regaine cans I've seen say don't take if you are over 49, so minoxidil must prevent you from keeping your hair long term.

4. I'm not convinced that any slowness or stoppage of loss really says much, it could be a coincidence. My loss was slow anyway, it took me until 30 to see it. The only signs I have of fin working are the loss of itch and less regular shedding, although I had lots of shedding early on which I've not recovered from.

KO,

Please remember that we don't host outside links on the community.

Thanks!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Ok, get off the drug then. If you continue to lose hair, you'll be back on these forums.

These are the two links you need to look at:

http://www.regrowhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/mean_change_crossover_data_chart.gif

I intend to keep taking finasteride, I was asking if anyone knows how to find out if it works or not. The lack of regrowth or "thickening" after so long is concerning to me.

Edited by Kirby0