Hair Transplant basics

P.S. I included this topic in our "Frequently Asked Questions, Answers and Discussions" sticky topic at the top of this forum.

I do think our FAQ topic (linked above) could use some revision and fresh topics to add. Thus, if anyone has any suggestions on topics to add, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks,

Bill

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much Bill, once again your support is greatly appreciated :) the thread is about 50% finished as i still have alot to go through but i will do the bulk of it during weekend :) thanks again.

Thanks SadButTrue :) Much appreciated.

If anyone has anything they want added to this thread, just mention it and I will write about it. Eventually the thread will be alot more cohesive and flowing. I will be going into the lateral and sagittal slit techniques, elaborating more on illusion of density and more very soon. This will be literally years of information(with my FUE threads) that someone can read and learn about in 2 hours :)

Edited by Mickey85

Will be talking about implantation methods next such as the choi/lion implanter and the more conventional custom blade method.

The plan is to have a 'wikipedia' for hair transplants all in the one thread.

Oh my God that's brilliant... A Wiki! There are Wiki sites for everything from the fanatical Conservapedia Wiki to the Sonic the Hedgehog Wiki, and several medically-related Wiki's as well, I believe. It's about time the HRN joined the cool kids and got its own Wiki - and there's no shortage of info to populate it with.

An entire Wiki dedicated the science, technology, and art of HT's along with the proliferation of knowledge on the subject - one which is constantly reviewed and updated by a panel of admins that include some of the resident experts on this site and probably any Coalition doctors that want to chime in - would be a great idea!

It would bring a lot of light to the industry, and probably a lot of business to Coalition surgeons, and it would do it in a low-commitment kind of way; people could simply browse the simple, familiar, and popular Wiki format without having to commit to making an account and searching through sub-forums (we've all had to tell newbies a millions times to stop making redundant posts and figure out how to use the Search feature). There could be advanced surgeon profiles, all of the extensive information in this thread and the others ones about FUE methods and equipment, and links to this forum and other popular ones as well.

What do you think Mickey? It would give you a way to organize and manage all of your heaps of accrued knowledge that would be a lot more practical and efficient than forum threads.

Oh my God that's brilliant... A Wiki! There are Wiki sites for everything from the fanatical Conservapedia Wiki to the Sonic the Hedgehog Wiki, and several medically-related Wiki's as well, I believe. It's about time the HRN joined the cool kids and got its own Wiki - and there's no shortage of info to populate it with.

An entire Wiki dedicated the science, technology, and art of HT's along with the proliferation of knowledge on the subject - one which is constantly reviewed and updated by a panel of admins that include some of the resident experts on this site and probably any Coalition doctors that want to chime in - would be a great idea!

It would bring a lot of light to the industry, and probably a lot of business to Coalition surgeons, and it would do it in a low-commitment kind of way; people could simply browse the simple, familiar, and popular Wiki format without having to commit to making an account and searching through sub-forums (we've all had to tell newbies a millions times to stop making redundant posts and figure out how to use the Search feature). There could be advanced surgeon profiles, all of the extensive information in this thread and the others ones about FUE methods and equipment, and links to this forum and other popular ones as well.

What do you think Mickey? It would give you a way to organize and manage all of your heaps of accrued knowledge that would be a lot more practical and efficient than forum threads.

Hehehe I meant it as this thread would touch on all the factors of a transplant but a hairWiki(or WikiHair) would be amazing. It would be quite the undertaking but I'm sure this forum could help out for sure. I will bring it up with Bill at some stage because he is always for innovating this forum.

Hi Guys,

We definitely try to use all of our online resources (the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Loss Learning Center, Hair Restoration Network, and the Hair Loss Q & A Blog) to create a "wiki-like" pool of information for hair loss sufferers. What's more, while a general "hair transplantation" wikipedia page does exist (and contains some familiar sounding information), I think we possess a vast number of resources that clearly explain the facts behind hair loss and hair restoration in terms that can be easily digested by all readers (ranging from the very novice to the highly experienced).

However, like Mickey said, we are always looking for ways to improve and expand our community. We feel like continual evolution helps us provide the best, most up-to-date information for our members, and helping hair loss sufferers is the true goal of our community. Because of that, we THANK members like Mickey who are dedicated to providing such useful information, and ask that any member who has any ideas for improving our community to send the moderators (myself, David - TakingthePlunge, or Bill) a private message with the information!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Guys,

We definitely try to use all of our online resources (the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Loss Learning Center, Hair Restoration Network, and the Hair Loss Q & A Blog) to create a "wiki-like" pool of information for hair loss sufferers. What's more, while a general "hair transplantation" wikipedia page does exist (and contains some familiar sounding information), I think we possess a vast number of resources that clearly explain the facts behind hair loss and hair restoration in terms that can be easily digested by all readers (ranging from the very novice to the highly experienced).

However, like Mickey said, we are always looking for ways to improve and expand our community. We feel like continual evolution helps us provide the best, most up-to-date information for our members, and helping hair loss sufferers is the true goal of our community. Because of that, we THANK members like Mickey who are dedicated to providing such useful information, and ask that any member who has any ideas for improving our community to send the moderators (myself, David - TakingthePlunge, or Bill) a private message with the information!

Thanks for the thanks Blake ;)

Have added the section on "Implantation tools"(which will be elaborated on) and have cleaned up some sections and moved a few things around. Have begun adding videos for certain sections too and have made recommended surgeon's names linkable to their profiles on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Great thread, very informative, especially for those who need answers about FU and transplants! thanks for sharing

Thanks for liking hehe.

Fantastic summation - wish I had seen something like this before my HT so I would have known what to ask the HT doc. As is I went it quite blindly and now I'm trying to evaluate it all post op...

I'm especially interested in the bit about single hairs being used in the frontal area. I have single and doubles - it looks a bit pluggy to me. Wondering why a HT surgeon would put graphs of more than one hair at the front of the hair line. Is there any reason to do so with today's modern techniques? I had FUE done, btw, a little over 1000.

I wish this thread was around when i had my ht too!! Hehe.

The hairline should consist of mostly singles. In theory they should be all singles but sometimes a 2-hair or a 3-hair graft will look like a singke due to some hairs being dormant. A 2 hair graft may have one hair dormant or a 3 hair graft may have 2 hairs dormant and assumed to be a single. The techs cannot see that they are actually multihair grafts even with magification and they are assumed to be singke hair follicles and used in the hairline. The number of non single hair grafts in the hairline should be low however.

• 1 month later...

Forgive me guys as i have been lazy with updating this thread but if i dont add new material by the end. Of the week please pressure me to do so hehe.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Great thread, really interesting as I am reading up as much as I can before getting one done...maybe I'm just trying to put it off as long as possible lol but it is nerve-racking stuff!

The more we educate ourselves, the less nerve-racking things become.

The more we understand the benefits as well as the risks, the easier the decision making process becomes as well...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates..?

Hey there. Give me a list of topics you would like me to cover and I will do my best to elaborate on them for you :)