Feller vs. Dorin

NYCHair

Hi everyone,

I am now 35 and am a Norwood 2.5. I have narrowed it down to Dr. Feller and Dr. Dorin but can't decide which to go with. Dr. Dorin's hairlines seem very natural but his yield seems to be not the best. Several of his patients had to go back for multiple surgeries. Dr. Feller's hairlines don't seem as natural but his yield with the strip method (my most likely choice) seems much better. Not to say that his hairlines look artificial or unnatural, just not as natural as Dr. Dorin's IMHO. I would prefer to only have one surgery and can't decide do I want a more natural hairline but possible not have great yield, or do I want a one and done surgery but not a really natural looking IMHO hairline? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

I wont make any comnents about either doctors ability but only YOU know what you want. I would select a surgeon who meets all of my criteria, not half. Perhaps you should widen your search?

Also, have you personally consulted with both these docs and/or with any others? How many grafts have the docs you've consulted with estimated you would need in total to complete your restoration?

I think you might be confusing "yield" (the percentage of transplanted grafts that grow) with transplanted density (number of grafts per square centimeter that are transplanted). From what I've seen of Dr. Dorin's work, he achieves as much yield from the grafts he transplants as anyone. He just happens to be in the camp of ht docs who avoid super dense packing in a single session due to risk of insufficient blood supply that could compromise yield and squander grafts, preferring instead to transplant at slightly lesser density and then bolstering density, if necessary, with a second procedure after the blood supply in the recipient area has recovered and can support a new crop of transplanted grafts amongst the previously transplanted grafts. Other ht docs are comfortable with a more aggressive initial packing. Both approaches are valid and both have benefits and detriments, but you should understand the difference going in. That said, given your relatively low Norwood number, it could well be that docs from either "camp" could satisfy your objectives in a single session. You should ask the docs you consult how many grafts they would propose to transplant, at what density (grafts per square centimeter) they would propose to transplant, and how many sessions they would require to complete your restoration. That way you can meaningful compare your options.

As Mickey85 said, if after these consultation you haven't found a surgeon who meets all your criteria, then by all means keep looking and continue consulting -- and don't limit your search to New York if you can't find the right patient-doctor "fit" for you.

I too am considering T&D and Feller.

Why do you think Dorin does better hairlines and Feller better yield? Is that based on pics on their websites, word of mouth, hearsay on these forums? I'm having difficulty deciding between different surgeons and wondering what information I should use to help me choose.

Thanks.

NYCHair,

I have had surgery performed by Dr Feller that I am very happy with and proud of.

They are both very good.

If I was you, I would have consultations with both of them and look at all of the Coalition surgeons the site recommends whilst you do your research.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Without a doubt, Its Dr. Feller. His work really amazes me. Dr. Feller and Dr. Konior are my favorites in USA. However the great thing about Dr. Feller is that he is good in FUT and FUE but unfortunately his prices are high.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

im from nyc and went to both for consultation,, and while dorin was more friendly and spent more time with me i chose dr feller because of his track record, i hope i maid the right choice, wish me luck im going in to get it done tomm morning

This comes up a lot, as they are 2 of the more popular surgeons in the NY area.

I personally recommend Dr. Dorin very highly, not only for his skills as a surgeon, but for his professionalism as well. I was able to get a very nice result with under 1500 grafts (I have very poor donor density).

I personally do not recommend Dr. Feller. I posted my negative experience with him here:

One thing to keep in mind is that Dr. Feller always shaves the recipient area, while Dr. Dorin rarely does. This is something to keep in mind if it's important for you to conceal the work after the HT.

Many feel that there are benefits to shaving the recipient area, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this, as this is something that Dr. Feller neglected to tell me about.

Best of luck with whichever doc you choose!

NYC,

I've never thought Dr. Feller's hairlines looked less natural. Granted. I think Dr. Dorin's hairlines are amazing (and he does put a lot of emphasis on irregularity in hairline design), but I think Dr. Feller's are great as well.

Maybe it's more personal preference? Regardless (and I don't usually like being this vague), I don't think you could really go wrong with either.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I personally have had a surgery with Dr. Feller, to an overall positive experience, although I am still waiting for a full year to analyze my overall results. Growth has been slow.

I consulted also Dr. Dorin and he also seemed like a capable and excellent doctor.

Both would be a great choice, imo.

Dr. Dorin is like Dr. Hasson, They both are the popular choices when people visit H&W or T&D :-)

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

What about True vs. Dorin, they seem to be lumped together on this forum, is one better than the other?

also, does anyone have a recommendation about T&D vs. Feller if I'm going for an FUE?

Thanks

Feller most likely will not perform over 1,000 grafts via FUE. I can't even remember the last Feller FUE example I saw by the clinic or by patient. T&D have had some great FUE results and some not so great FUE results.

I can't speak to Dr. Feller, but I have had all of my work done by Dr. Dorin and can provide only an absolutely ringing endorsement. I have had three prodedures done with him, the results of the first two are in the link below...(I haven't been back to have new result pictures taken after my third small procedure and I'm a horrible photographer)

Pup Daddy is quite correct when he says that you don't really mean yield with Dr. Dorin. My yield from both procedures was phenomenal (probably at or exceptionally close to 100%). Dr. Dorin leans toward the conservative, not only because of the blood flow issues, but in my case at least, he was very conscious of the financial aspect of the surgery. He suggested that I start with about 1500 grafts because he thought that might be enough to meet my needs. I greatly appreciated this, because I had an opportunity to choose whether to spend more money or not and get more grafts. Ultimately, I decided to, probably because I was feeling a little greedy, and Dr. Dorin was once again careful as to how many more I would need. For the second surgery I had a about 1000 grafts.

My third surgery was very small and mainly to fix my scar, which I had difficulty with during the second surgery because of my body's issues with dissolvable stitches. Dr. Dorin fixed it for me for free (despite it being ENTIRELY due to my physiology), and placed the follicles that were taken out because of the surgery in my crown, where I hadn't had any transplantation before.

I absolutely do not regret going in for multiple procedures. I feel like spreading it out actually added to their success and helped me save the money for the second one so I wasn't going into debt for it.

However, I also do feel that if you are really opposed to a second procedure you should talk to Dr. Dorin about your personal wants and needs. He has always been very flexible and willing to talk through any questions or concerns.

From my multiple experiences with Dr. Dorin and the staff at T&D, I cannot imagine getting a better experience anywhere. I have recommended them to several of my friends and colleagues. I would definitely suggest, at the very least, consulting with Dr. Dorin if your considering a HT in NYC.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me...I'm happy to answer!

Ken

teach777

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166316-update-teach77-2516-total-grafts-dr-dorin.html

I myself have had two FUT procedures with Dr. Dorin in May of 2011 and July of 2012. I found him to be highly professional and skilled, and the results exemplary. I met with several doctors who are prominent on this site, including Dr. Feller, prior to choosing Dr. Dorin. While I certainly respect Dr. Feller and had no issues with his abilities, I just clicked with Dr. Dorin and he was a better fit for me. I also understand being anxious and wanting to get your desired result in one procedure. I certainly shared that desire but Dr. Dorin was clear with me from the beginning that it would take two smaller procedures to get the optimal outcome. At the end of the day, I now realize that it's better to be patient and get the result you expect and want rather than rush a result that may be less than stellar just to get it all done in one sitting. The outcome I've had with Dr. Dorin can be summed up very easily. I honestly don't really give a sh*t about my hair anymore, and I mean that in an immensely positive way. I'm no longer obsessed with my hair. I don't worry and it doesn't occupy my time or thoughts like it used to evey single day. Because I'm now happy with my hair it's become an afterthought, which is the the way it should be. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

I was in the same situation that you are NYCHair 3 months ago I consulted with both doctors both seemed great Dr.Feller was a little more ,how can i say this ( gun ho) come in and we can give you a head of hair.Where as Dr.Dorin was a little more conservative telling me i would increase the volume at the front. Don't get me wrong both doctors are the best out there from what i can see from my research.

I decided on Dr.Dorin the surgery went great ( Jan 28,2013) hardly no pain just the swelling after which freaked me out ,to quote a poster "I looked like robocop without his helmet". Now as a human I have been second guessing if i made the right decision or not i read posts about Dr.Feller's great job and say to myself maybe i made a mistake then three days later I read about a guy who is in six months after a Dr.Dorin job and its great, I go back and forth every hour which i believe you will to after you make up your mind, but I think its all part of the beast.

I am sure which ever Dr. you go with between these two you can't go wrong and I am sure the waiting for results will drive you crazy

Feller most likely will not perform over 1,000 grafts via FUE. I can't even remember the last Feller FUE example I saw by the clinic or by patient. T&D have had some great FUE results and some not so great FUE results.

Mickey who do rate as the very best FUE doctors in the US/Canada?

Top 2 or 3?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I can tell you I met Dr. Feller in London and flew to have surgery with him in NY 2 months later and am not disappointed. He was great, I really enjoyed it - surprisingly. My results are very good and still coming in.

I can't speak for potential results you'd have, but based on my experience I have no problem recommending him.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Mickey who do rate as the very best FUE doctors in the US/Canada?

Top 2 or 3?

Umar and the surgeon in Atlanta. Mind you I still consider the European and Turkish surgeons well above the the aforementioned surgeons. Just my opinion.