Very Happy with Dr. Gabel

Superman1

I just had my hair restoration surgery 2 days ago… and I LOVE IT. The whole experience was way more easy, gratifying and enjoyable than I expected. In total I had 2,464 grafts transplanted. They put about 2,100 in the front to rebuild a whole new hair line and then filled it in back to my original hairline. Then they put about 300+ hairs that were left over in the back of my head (on the crown).

Dr. Stephen Gabel in Hillsboro, OR did the surgery. He was fabulous… he is a consummate expert and very dedicated to every detail. From the moment I arrived at his office at 6:30am I never had a single doubt about whether or not I made the right decision. He and his whole Team were EXCELLENT. Dr. Gabel and his 4 medical assistants (Aileen, Tracy, Crissi and Karen) worked on me off and on all day… I was there for about 11 hours and they made the entire experience very enjoyable. It seemed as though Dr. Gabel barely left my side and when he did he left me in extremely capable hands. I’ve been in the business world for 30 years and I’ve never seen a more talented, organized, professional Team then the people that Dr. Gabel has put together. I’d give every one of them a raise if it were up to me J

Dr. Gabel only works with 1 patient per day… so his entire Team responded to my every need all day on the day of the surgery. They were great. Dr. Gabel not only did all the precision work (design, insertion placement arrangement of the grafts, etc.) but he also put in his fair share of the actual individual grafts. My understanding is that most doctors don’t normally place any grafts themselves. Dr. Gabel is not most doctors. He is the BEST.

Keep in mind, 30 days ago I had never heard of Dr. Gable. He wasn’t referred to me by anyone. And quite frankly I was planning on going to Bosley in San Francisco simply because of brand name recognition. But then I started my homework… and I came across Dr. Gabel who just happened to be about 5 miles from my home in Portland, OR. I am very fastidious in my decision making process… whether it is for buying a new lawn mower, picking a good restaurant or in this case choosing the best physician to make me look young again J

And that is what this procedure does. I told Dr. Gabel he is not in the business of hair restoration but in the business of dreams, youth, confidence, career advancement, relationship improvement, etc. I can see (even on day 3) how this new hairline makes me feel GREAT. And believe me, I had a lot of confidence, swagger and love of life before I did this but now – well, let’s just say I’ve been walking around with an even bigger smile on my face these last few days. I’m 56 years old and I swear I think this new hairline is going to make me look like I’m in my 40s again. How cool is that?

When I did my homework before choosing my doctor I looked at everything on the Internet. I was very thorough. I visited and got on the phone with several different providers, etc. I couldn’t find one negative comment on Dr. Gabel on the Internet. When I went in for my consultation with Dr. Gabel he was very straight with me on what I could expect and what I couldn’t realistically expect. In fact, he didn’t and wouldn’t tell me what I wanted to hear. I wanted him to basically make me a bunch of promises but he wouldn’t do it. He told me that he couldn’t make me look 18 again. He told me that at my age it is normal to have some hair recession and that it wouldn’t look normal if he gave me a Tom Cruise hairline. He even told me that he wouldn’t even take me on as a client if the end result was not going to be natural looking. He didn’t want to be any part of an unnatural looking result. Bottom line, Dr. Gabel has plenty of clients so he can afford to maintain his integrity. That is how I look at it.

I’m going to share a few comments for anyone who is contemplating changing their life for the better with a hair transplant. And Yes… I know… it has only been a couple of days… how could that change my life already? I’ll tell you how. I’m a well-educated, very experienced business professional who did his homework before choosing Dr. Gabel and his Team to do this work on me. My background includes: Currently I am a VP at a software company, I’ve owned several of my own companies, I’m a rehabilitated tax attorney who spent 4 years on the national speakers tour, etc., etc. – so I’d like to think someone reading this would respect what I have to say and take guidance in these comments.

I can’t imagine a single person (speaking for men – but this probably applies to women too) who wouldn’t feel better about themselves, their relationship (I’ve been married 29 years and my wife is as happy about my new appearance as I am…), their job… their lives if all of a sudden they woke up one day and looked 15 years younger. I mean… come on… WOW… this is really great stuff.

OK… a few more comments:

1. The pain – the only thing that hurt were the needle injections to numb the scalp area. They felt like mini bee stings. Not a big deal… A small price to pay. Other than the needle injections I didn’t feel any pain whatsoever on the day of the surgery… and the 2 days since the surgery – same story… no real pain as of yet. Very minor swelling of my forehead and nothing else.

2. My expectations – I have high standards on everything. I can’t believe and I don’t know how to explain my pleasure in looking into the mirror since my surgery. When you first get the hairs transplanted… you can actually see them – they are about 1/8th of an inch long. And there is hair completely covering areas in my temples and across my front hairline (about ? to ? of an inch more) where before the surgery it was empty… I guess bald is the right word. But not anymore… now, there is HAIR and I can’t believe it. I know the hair is supposed to fall out and then grow back and I have to wait 8 months to a year or more to see the final results but who cares. When I’m 57, 58, 59, 60 and more… I’m going to have hair. And that makes me feel great. J

3. The lunch – they provide you lunch on the day of the surgery – surprisingly delicious – I had Shrimp Pad Thai.

4. The follow up (after care instructions) – very thorough, very clear and easy to perform. Dr. Gabel’s Team has obviously done a lot of these procedures and they have it down to a science. They couldn’t have been any more organized. They think of everything.

Overall, I can’t imagine any doctor anywhere doing a better job on my hair transplant then Dr. Gabel and his Team. I’m not paid to say this. I don’t typically give testimonials unless someone goes way beyond my expectations. I’ll write more later and keep you posted on my progress.

Pictures to come… Hope this helps you in your decision making process.

Edited by Superman1
spelled name wrong...

Congratulations and thank for sharing your hair transplant experience with Dr. Gabel. I look forward to viewing your after pics. The hairline drawn here looks great. Keep us posted.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

never heard of him. from his site...."has been recognized internationally as a leader in the field of hair transplantation". lol

nice tight packing of hairline tho. looks good.

You're on this site 12 years and you've never heard of Dr. Gabel??

I'm here 3 months and have been very impressed with what I've seen. A poster called Othersyde has some great documentation of his hts. One was live.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Dr. Gabel has been on the forum for some time and has produced some really nice results. He was documenting one patient's post op pretty closely for awhile. He has not been as active on the forums lately though.

The work looks top notch!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

You're on this site 12 years and you've never heard of Dr. Gabel??

I'm here 3 months and have been very impressed with what I've seen. A poster called Othersyde has some great documentation of his hts. One was live.

nope never heard of him. there are hundreds if not thousands of HT doctors. I dont pay attention to anyone that doesnt perform consisent great results.

Gabel or whoever he is aint one of em.

nope never heard of him. there are hundreds if not thousands of HT doctors. I dont pay attention to anyone that doesnt perform consisent great results.

Gabel or whoever he is aint one of em.

I'm a little baffled. I'm far from advocate of Gabel, but he is among the doctors who have the 'highest' number of posted cases on this site alone. As well as being recommended here. I'm not sure how you could have missed him to be honest!

When you do a search for 'Gabel' and 'thread titles only', there are 6 pages full of different threads of his work. The vast majority are quite impressive.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Johnny.... I notice you only take Finasteride 3 times per week. Is that enough? I have been taking it for a while (1.25mg daily) but I have always been under the impression that you have to take it every day (just before bedtime).

GNX1- You are making rather brash statements about Dr. Gabel having never worked with Dr. Gabel... maybe you should listen a little closer to the many positive comments on this forum from people who have actually had Dr. Gabel do their hair transplants...

A wise man can learn from anyone... a fool from no one...

GNX,

I suggest using the search feature and viewing the dozens of results that Dr. Gabel and other world leaders recommended by our community have posted over the years.

To be honest, I'm getting real tired of your ignorant and brash comments. Dr. Gabel is a world leader in hair restoration as are many others that you've publicly chastised. I suggest educating yourself and being respectful or go find another place to post your unfair and uninformed comments.

Bill

never heard of him Bill. I dont pay attention to every single HT doctor that comes along or posts results.

if you say he has done good work ill take ur word on it.

never once have I heard his name brought up in that group of world class HT surgeons when ppl ask who is the best if money was no option. have you?

ppl get all bent out of shape when someone states they havent heard of someone. like its some sort of sin to not have heard of one of the thousands of HT doctors around the world.

Dr. Gabel does great work. His work is better than many names that get thrown around here every day.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

GNX,

The fact that you haven't heard of Dr. Gabel (or others) isn't my problem, although it's shocking considering you've been a member of this community longer than I have.

It's the unfair and uninformed conclusions you make when you don't have any knowledge or understanding of a particular issue or doctor. This includes the below mocking statement:

"from his site....'has been recognized internationally as a leader in the field of hair transplantation'. lol"

And your false conclusion that Dr. Gabel isn't among those who produces consistent great results - all because you haven't heard of him.

"I dont pay attention to anyone that doesnt perform consisent great results. Gabel or whoever he is aint one of em. "

You've drawn false conclusions about Dr. Gabel simply because you haven't heard of him. I suggest before making such ignorant statements in the future that research first. Otherwise, I suggest keeping your comments to yourself.

Bill

GNX,

I'm being blunt with you because this is far from the first time you've unfairly maligned a surgeon simply because you have no real knowledge of him. I suggest that if you're compelled to form and voice opinions about surgeons (or any issue for that matter) in the future that you take some time to research before commenting. There's also respectful ways you can voice your opinion without being blatantly disparaging. I believe you've already received a private message about this. Your cooperation is appreciated and expected.

Bill

OK... so this has been an experience. The first 2 weeks.. sleep sitting up... lots of attention to detailed cleaning procedures and different treatment regimens to make sure everything stays clean and not touched.. much...

but you get thru that OK and the hair (2464 grafts) is still in my head for the most part... and then over the course of the 3rd week most of it fell out...about 70%. So that is a little scary because you just don't know when it is coming back.

And the purple paint that they put on your head during the surgery stays on your scalp .. well it is faint now but still there... you can see in the pictures.

but.. bottom line.. when the hair grows back in the pattern that Dr. Gabel put it in my scalp (the new hairline, etc.) I think it is going to look great. My wife is very excited.

Check out the 3 week pictures below.

I'm very glad I went thru with this - I can't wait until it grows in but all good things are worth waiting for... right?

Thank you Dr. Gabel (and all)...

5b32d83c51ace_3weekpicture.jpg.6b6355ec1ff449a3117240e62fb65ef1.jpg

5b32d83c66c75_3weekpicture2.jpg.da30747de30b6ef4bf0085db895970cb.jpg

5b32d83c7d2da_3weekpicture3.jpg.8ab05d69cbcea05189767d6710cc09a6.jpg

never once have I heard his name brought up in that group of world class HT surgeons when ppl ask who is the best if money was no option. have you?

I have and that's why I went to him.

Stop giving feedback if you don't know the doctor are you talking about (or never had a procedure from him).

"I've never heard of... I've never had a procedure from... so here is my opinion----"

I've never seen the movie "Argo" and I haven't heard people talk about it-- so it must be lousy. Great reasoning.

People don't like your comment because it's not based on anything beside your ignorance.

Dr. Gabel trained in hair transplantation with Dr. Konior, which is one of several reasons that he produces the excellent results he does and is considered by those in the know to be among the best of the best.

Happy growing, Superman1!