Consultation with Dr. Alexander - Need Feedback

I had a phone consultation today with Dr. Alexander, and I didn't come away feeling at peace. It wasn't anything he said in particular. He was very kind and answered all of my questions. I think my expectation was that he would spend time making me feel at ease, as I've been researching for about a year and I've just now worked up the nerve to get a HT. (I'm a 41 year-old NW2-3 and I'm looking to get my temples filled in)

Perhaps the doctor is just speaking from a place of confidence since he's done thousands of these, or perhaps he thinks I'm just "kicking the tires" and am not serious about getting it done. I was ready to pull the trigger but now I'm hesitant because of how the consultation left me feeling. This was my first consultation.

Maybe I wasn't honest enough about how terrified I am to undergo surgery. Perhaps since a phone call doesn't communicate body language, etc., but the doctor's casual (but confident) responses left me wanting. I sound like a big baby, but I wanted to get some feedback and perspective on the whole thing.

Any thoughts?

The only thing I can put my finger on is the difference in how serious/anxious I am about the procedure, and how casual/matter of fact the doctor sounded. Almost like the doctor was a little distracted or uninterested, I think. This isn't to say he was...it's just how it felt, I think.

I will say it's very likely that I may have come across as casual as well instead of serious and anxious. I don't do well being vulnerable, so it's a possibility he didn't sense that at all from me.

Five,

Personally, I have total confidence in Dr. Alexander. Like you said, there are definitely reasons why a phone consultation may seem impersonal or distant, but I'm not sure this is an accurate reflection of Dr. Alexander. Is it possible to undergo a consultation in person?

Regardless, feeling comfortable with your hair transplant surgeon is crucial. If you don't feel 100% confident and comfortable with any surgeon moving forward, I think you should consider a few more consultations with other recommended hair restoration physicians.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Bigonfive

I had (crown) surgery with Dr. Alexander in mid November 2012. -Dr. Alexander is one of the most honest, ethical and talented physicians I have ever met in my life. His facility in Scottsdale is state of the art and his technicians are very experienced. You would be very well served to be in such competent hands. He has a wealth of experience and I cannot give him a higher recommendation. If you can go to his office and meet him personally, you'll see what I mean.

Happy growing!

Thanks for the replies. After thinking about it some, it hit me what bothered me about the consultation. I had scheduled the consultation for 1pm today, and was told the doctor would call then. I gave the secretary my phone number...then, at 1:15 when I hadn't heard anything, I called their office and was put on hold for almost 15 minutes by the secretary while she "put the doctor on the phone." There was no explanation why the appointment was missed.

Finally, when Dr. Alexander got on the phone I expected him to ask me at least a few questions about my goals, my family history, etc. He started off with telling me approximately how many grafts it would take to meet the hairline I had drawn in. After that, nothing more was said, so I began asking a few questions. Like I said before, he was polite and answered them all. I just didn't feel like he was very interested in me as a patient. That's what I was bummed about.

It's understandable to feel that way. After all, we're talking about a very expensive procedure that can have a serious effect on your looks as well as your mental state. As far as Dr. Alexander the surgeon goes, I think he is extremely talented. In fact, I think he is one of the most artistic surgeons when it comes to hairline design, and one of the most deft at creating a natural appearance. I would consult some other docs as well, and perhaps try to get Dr. A on the phone again and express your concerns. Communication between doctor and patient is a key element for sure in determining a good outcome.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

When I started out I watched a lot of the Dr video interviews on this site and on youtube. I got an idea of the Drs I thought I'd 'get on with'. That might sound a bit odd but if you like the way the Dr presents themselves you're probably more likely to have confidence in them.

Perhaps Dr Alexander just isn't the right man for you. Contrast his style with Dr Edmond Griffin and it is night and day.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Try and see him in person

Once Dr. Feller had seen my hair and spent 45 mins talking with me, I was so at ease I'd have done the procedure there and then.

Face to face just HAS to be better and more reassuring than the phone...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon