Am I a Good HT Candidate?

What are your opinions about my donor hair area and the number of grafts that I would need to thicken the top of the head (crown/vertex) and maybe even fill in the temples?

Please keep in mind that I have been on finasteride and minoxidil for the past couple of months, so I am currently in the midst of serious shedding. My hope is that the medication which I am currently using will garner good results before taking the surgical plunge.

Apologies if the pics are not up to scratch.

5b32d7ded479e_Vertex(Wet).jpg.7b388cc8496a1dfeddec614abb9d69f3.jpg

5b32d7df62ec8_Behind(TowelDried).jpg.a08e9d7c18fe2216c45904bb02a32c96.jpg

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

Also, I've always had fine hair and a high forehead. So I keep my target realistic.

I have included some more pics.

NB I have a huge head shaped like a Roswell Alien nogan, so buzz cuts are totally out of the question.

5b32d7df8256b_RightSide(TowelDried).jpg.754bead85f785fbe5e41a4836cb9f37c.jpg

5b32d7dfbfc04_LeftSide(TowelDried).jpg.c679383fb2a5ca2f849a1a5a321f49b5.jpg

Regimen:

Silica Complex; Daily

I'm no expert but I think the main thing you don't have in your favour is fine hair. It's harder to get a dense looking result with it.

You're doing the right thing to try propecia (maybe Rogaine as well?). Give it 6-9 months to take effect.

With a loose scalp you may be still be able to get a decent looking front. It's just a question of how far back you can go without running out of grafts.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

At this time you are a moderate candidate due to the fact that you have the outline of a NW7 forming. Your parietal humps are very thin. Having fine hair traditionally means you have dense donor hair but I think you may be an exception to the rule. I also see retrograde alopecia in your sideburn areas moving back above your ears. I recommend that you not have a procedure any time soon and see how well the meds work for you over the next ten months minimum. Do not be in a rush to have a procedure. Take your time to research and ask questions.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks guys. Input much appreciated.

Jotronic, Could the retrograde alopecia be part of the shedding process caused by the meds?

Btw, I should mention that I recently had minor head surgery to remove 2 benign lesions (one at the left side and one om the crown), could that also have induced shockloss causing retrograde alopecia?

I'd also like to point out that in some pics my hair is wet, and in others towel dried. I marked the jpegs as such but I don't think they show after being uploaded.

Would it be better if I uploaded pics of my hair when completely dry?

Regimen:

Silica Complex; Daily

Wait to see how the meds do after about 1 year. Also, if you do decide to go through with an HT, you should consider some some hair grafts from the beard area, for instance, to use as filler in the crown moving forward, depending on what kind of improvement you see after the meds. You should take a pic with dry hair so we can get a better idea. You hair is really slicked down in your pix.

See ya,

Atticus

What are your opinions about my donor hair area and the number of grafts that I would need to thicken the top of the head (crown/vertex) and maybe even fill in the temples?

Please keep in mind that I have been on finasteride and minoxidil for the past couple of months, so I am currently in the midst of serious shedding. My hope is that the medication which I am currently using will garner good results before taking the surgical plunge.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

What's your family history in regards to balding.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

I seem to be following the same pattern as my dad. If that's indeed the case, then the good news is that I won't lose much more hair between now and 70. His father had a full head of hair when he died in his 60s. As for the grandfather on my mother's side, that I do not know, he had already lost most of his hair by the time I got to know him. By then he was in his 60s. I was young when he died of a stroke.

My older brother had really thick presedential Kennedy-like hair, ...he was the last person you'd expect to go bald. But he lost it rapidly in his mid-20s. Maybe stress induced as opposed to MPB.

Me, I always had fine, thin hair. Many were convinced I'd be a cueball before my 21st birthday. I noticed my hairline was receding when I was 15!!!!!! No joke!

It's a miracle at 33yo that I have any hair at all TBH.

Regimen:

Silica Complex; Daily

Thanks guys. Input much appreciated.

Jotronic, Could the retrograde alopecia be part of the shedding process caused by the meds?

Btw, I should mention that I recently had minor head surgery to remove 2 benign lesions (one at the left side and one om the crown), could that also have induced shockloss causing retrograde alopecia?

I'd also like to point out that in some pics my hair is wet, and in others towel dried. I marked the jpegs as such but I don't think they show after being uploaded.

Would it be better if I uploaded pics of my hair when completely dry?

Cal, no the retro most likely is not caused by the shed. This is a very common issue. I can see also that the hair texture in the areas behind the temple point, where the retrograde is occurring, is a different texture than the rest of your scalp hair. This area typically sees the hair texture begin to more closely mimic the texture of the sideburn area. However, the lesion removal may have something to do with the shed so that is a possibility however any shedding from such a process would be usually be minor.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jotron, I understand that shedding caused by the lesion surgery would be minor. I just meant might my overall shedding be more than the average person when considering the head surgery, finasteride, minoxidil and nizoral altogether?

The head surgery was only a month ago and I startes the finasteride 2 months ago along with the minoxidil.

I stopped the minoxidil temporarily while my stitches were healing.

Regimen:

Silica Complex; Daily