Does Biotin Control Hair loss

Hi All,

Does Biotin really controls Hair loss . I heard it helps in growing hair n nails faster But not sure if it controls hair fall? please let me know I am suffering from severe hair loss from past few months..its becoming worse now

Hi All,

Does Biotin really controls Hair loss . I heard it helps in growing hair n nails faster But not sure if it controls hair fall? please let me know I am suffering from severe hair loss from past few months..its becoming worse now

No effect on genetic loss but can help alopecia sufferers.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 months later...

Biotin usage is a little misleading. It can help, but only if you are significantly deficient. The reason it got a lot of hair loss press several years ago was that people with significant biotin deficiency lost a lot of hair and had the rest of their hair thin out. When re-supplemented with biotin, the hair grew back to normal.

This all said, it is quite rare to have a biotin deficiency if you eat any type of standard diet, healthy or not. The only way this might happen (aside from starving yourself) is if you have raw egg whites without the yolk. This is because a compound called avidin in the raw egg white binds with your body's biotin and excretes it. If you have the yolk as well, there is generally enough biotin in it to counter this effect. Cooked eggs of any type don't cause this effect.

So, you can try biotin just to see, but in general, this is not a primary cause of male baldness and probably it will show no effect.

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to think I noticed a difference in the speed and length of growth when I first started to take biotin, however shortly after, I added about 10 other supplements to my regimen, so it is probably really tough to know if it is the biotin that's causing the improvement or not.

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Biotin is not en enzyme blocker as Propecia. It's a vitamin to strengthen hair but doesn't block the hair loss gene. Viviscal is an all natural vitamin that is excellent for strengthening hair...and includes Biotin. But again...not an enzyme blocker either.

Best of luck!

Biotin can support healthy hair, but it's not a hair loss/hair restoration medication in and of itself.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 5 months later...

Biotin is a vitamin that can strengthen hair but it doesn't block the hair loss gene. Viviscal are a marine complex vitamin that has helped numerous patients with strengthening their hair. Again it doesn't block the hair loss gene, but does contain biotin and other hair strengthen vitamins.

• 2 months later...

Can biotin make hair loss increase? I started taking a "hair, skin and nails" multivitamin and my shedding increased noticeably pretty much a few days later. Or maybe vitamin d3, b12 or iron did it? :confused:

Biotin is not for MPB. It will aid in faster growth of HT/native hairs. But it does nothing to thicken thinning hair, or regrow lost hair due to Male Pattern Baldness. However, it does not hurt to add Biotin in with the proven hair loss meds like finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil.

• 3 months later...

I took Biotin pills everyday for one year and use shampoos. I have to cut my finger nails twice as often, they grow real fast. Hair is hard to tell. My guess is it helps strengthen existing hair and slows thinning. Doubt it helps regrowth.

Hi Zsharp,

There are a few vitamins that certainly, such as biotin, zinc, saw palmetto, etc. One specific vitamin that has shown to strengthen hair is Viviscal. It's not cheap (about $40-50/month) but has shown some nice results. However, vitamins do not block the hair loss gene. So it's important that patients do something to block the hair loss gene while feeding them vitamins.