disappointing african american hair transplant

Looking for a hair transplant surgeon who has experience performing African American hair transplant with results i can see.

I have had two disappointing hair transplants by two different surgeons located in Florida. The total "supposed" grafts transferred by both doctors were 3900+ grafts. Does my frontal scalp look like it had 3900 grafts transferred?

IMG_0244.jpg.887c94add14c3f1c944c94765b34d344.jpg

Bump... This is a good post. And yeah, that definitely does not look like 3900+ grafts... No way.

I know most HT docs tend to specialize in Caucasian hair transplantation, and I've heard that Indian and Asian hair is often thicker but still somewhat similar, but I'm not very familiar with any docs that specifically address the unique physiology and challenges posed by African American hair transplantation.

Anyone got an answer here?

LAG29

Sorry to hear your experience with Dr. Larry Shapiro and Atlantic 2000. Most posters would not be surprised by your results. There is a very good honest doctor in Boca called Dr. Charles. I don't know if he specializes in African American hair but he is honest and will tell you the truth. It wouldn't hurt to consult with him and to get his opinion.

On the positive note I think you have enough donor to repair your previous work. It does appear you have a lot of scar tissue in the front caused by your work.

Good luck on your search.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

OK I also posted this in the thread by HairLongGone's (the 23-year-old girl) thread, but just to reiterate:

Look at Dr. Aronovitz's page here; in the Before/After results animation on the right side of the page, it looks like he does African American hair, and it looks like he does it pretty well. I have no personal experience with him, but he's Coalition-approved. He's based in Southfield, Michigan, so it would be a flight for you, but might really be worth it.

Anyone else want to chime in here in regards to Dr. Aronovitz?

Dr. Feller in NY does good work with African American hair as does Dr. Lindsey in Virginia

Didn't realise that one of your procedures had been carried out by Dr. Shapiro. Have you gone back to him for further assistance?

Edited by Avon
Ask question

I'm african american too and made the same mistake by just limiting myself to my area. With my most recent HT I traveled to Canada. My advice to you is to look into all docs worldwide. Consult with some of the top docs and ask to see before/after pics of patients with AA hair.

Avon,

I wanted to point out that Dr. Larry Shapiro is not associated with Dr. Ron Shapiro or Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group in MN.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Lagrandeur29, did you happen to notice if either of these two clinics used microscopic dissection of your donor strip? Or could they have possibly dissected your strips without the use of microscopes?

Because of the tight curl characteristic that many African Americans have, the use of scopes is critical in carefully seperating the individual FUs within the strip specimen. Although the overall level of density can be lower in African Americans, dissecting and preparing the grafts can present an additional challenge and be more time consuming for the techs.

This is especially true with FUE extractions in not being able to see the direction of the hair sheath below the scalp. The visible curls above the scalpline can be misleading, and sometimes the tendency is to use a larger punch size to avoid extraction transection as much as possible.

IMHO, there are far better choices in independent surgeons/clinics in South Florida. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

What?? How many Shapiro's are there?? Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea he wasn't part of SMG!

Coalition hair transplant surgeons Dr. Paul Shapiro and Dr. Ron Shapiro work at Shapiro Medical Group in MN. These two Shapiros (;)) are the only two who are recommended and work at the Shapiro Medical Group clinic.

Hope this clears everything up!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

LAG29

Sorry to hear your experience with Dr. Larry Shapiro and Atlantic 2000. Most posters would not be surprised by your results. There is a very good honest doctor in Boca called Dr. Charles. I don't know if he specializes in African American hair but he is honest and will tell you the truth. It wouldn't hurt to consult with him and to get his opinion.

On the positive note I think you have enough donor to repair your previous work. It does appear you have a lot of scar tissue in the front caused by your work.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if the scar tissue appeared as a result of the procedure or was it a result of a lapse in my caring for my scalp during the healing process. I will look into Dr. Charles, thankyou for your recommendation. An honest doctors reputation goes a long way, I've learned my lesson.

So glad to hear that you are considering a good doctor now.

Is your donor scar in good shape, meaning not raised?

I always advise patients to ask the techs or doctor how many grafts were done and the breakdown, and where they were placed in the scalp. In other words, how many singles, doubles, etc. The patient's medical chart should document this.

I continue to wish you the best in this journey my friend. ;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...
I think my donor scar is a little raised. Also I am not sure that Atlantis 2000 would be honest in how many grafts were transplanted to my sclap.

Do you think that the scar may have a keyloiding effect?

Gillenator

Yes, I think the scar may have a keyloiding affect.

Then you definitely want this confirmed by a reputable doctor with a physical examination. And as you probably already know, no more strip surgery.

It is possible that FUE may still be an option but if you ever consider surgery again, then you without question would want to do a test procedure before ever considering a full procedure.

Gillenator