Potential Recommendation of Dr. John Frank of New York, NY

Dear Forum Members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

I would appreciate this community’s input on the potential recommendation of Dr. John Frank of New York, NY on the Hair Transplant Network. At this time, Dr. Frank is only being considered for recommendation, not the Coalition. To see our standards for recommendation, click here.

Having reviewed dozens of examples of Dr. Frank's results over the years, I've had the pleasure of watching his technique and hair transplant philosophy change and evolve since I started communicating with him back in 2008. After seeing recent examples of his work and results both privately and publicly, I now feel confident that Dr. Frank is utilizing all the latest tools and techniques and provides his patients with high quality, natural looking hair transplant results.

Dr. John Frank has over 15 years of experience and performs hair transplant surgery as the primary part of his practice at his clinic in New York, NY. He has the staff and experience to perform large sessions of high quality follicular unit hair transplantation exceeding 2500 grafts when appropriate for the patient. His technicians average over 7 years of experience and he operates on only one patient per day. He also does most of the consultations himself.

Dr. Frank specializes in FUT, FUE, scar revisions, plug removal, general hair transplant repair and beard transplantation. He also provides free consultations for hair transplant surgery and medical treatments for hair loss.

Dr. Frank makes tiny recipient incisions as small as .7mm and dense packs up to 50 FU/cm2 when appropriate for the patient. He uses a single blade to harvest the donor strip during FUT to minimize transection to the follicles and uses the trichophytic closure technique when appropriate to minimize the appearance of the donor scar. Dr. Frank prefers sutures over staples and often uses a 3.0 Nylon running stitch. If the donor area is wide, undermining was performed or the patient has excess laxity, Dr. Frank prefers using several 3.0 Vicryl interrupted subcutaneous sutures.

Dr. John Frank performs advanced FUE using a combination of Dr. Harris' Powered SAFE scribe and manual punches depending upon the ongoing yield during the procedure. Punch sizes range between .8mm and 1.0mm depending on the size of the graft and the patient's characteristics.

Dr. Frank is a proponent of both FUT and FUE and feels that they both provide certain advantages and disadvantages to patients.

He feels that FUE benefits patients who are convinced through research or fears of the linear scar associated with FUT/strip surgery and only want FUE, patients who want (or are only able) to wear their donor hair cropped extremely short and patients who've had multiple FUT procedures who want to avoid the risk of additional unnecessary scarring. He also feels that FUE provides physicians with the ability to select single follicular units when necessary, which eliminates the need to split larger FUs into singles for the critical hairline areas.

Dr. Frank feels that FUE is limited to patients who require a lesser amount of grafts and isn't optimal for patients with unfavorable skin/hair quality for FUE, which may result in poor yield.

Dr. Frank is a upstanding member of the ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery and is a board certified diplomate of the ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery). He is also a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology (for head and neck surgery) and the American Board of Otolaryngology.

Given Dr. Frank and his staff's experience, credentials and technique, I believe he should be considered for recommendation. To view our standards for recommendation, click here.

View some of their patient and surgical photos below:

2606 Grafts via FUT with Dr. Frank

1840 Grafts via FUT with Dr. Frank

3100 Grafts via FUT with Dr. Frank

700 Grafts via FUE with Dr. Frank

2200 Grafts via FUT with Dr. Frank

2500 Grafts via FUT at only 5 Months with Dr. Frank

2600 Grafts via FUT on African American Patient with Dr. Frank

2917 Grafts via FUT with Dr. Frank

About Dr. Frank and Surgical Walkthrough Pictures

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

Best wishes,

Bill

Yes! I've enjoyed viewing Dr. Frank's contributions. His work is definitely representative of this community's high standards.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I will say yes too. However, I would encourage the doctor to take photos in more consistent lighting. I am not saying the doctor is trying to pull a fast one, I am just saying that it will help patients have realistic expectations.

It would not take much to set up an area that has consistent lighting and find the right settings on the camera. Before and afters are a big part of a clinics work.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I see a bunch of FUT results posted but where are the FUE results? or is a FUT doctor automatically recommended for FUE because he performs FUT?

there should be a clear and decisive recommendation as to whether or not a doctor is being recommended for FUT or FUE when they perform both.

they are two different disciplines and just because a HT doctor does acceptable FUT work does not mean he does the same when performing FUE and vice versa.

I see a bunch of FUT results posted but where are the FUE results? or is a FUT doctor automatically recommended for FUE because he performs FUT?

there should be a clear and decisive recommendation as to whether or not a doctor is being recommended for FUT or FUE when they perform both.

they are two different disciplines and just because a HT doctor does acceptable FUT work does not mean he does the same when performing FUE and vice versa.

That is a good point. This should be submitted in Bill's "Improving the Forum"(or was it community) thread? I can't remember.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

GNX,

We currently don't make a distinction between FUT and FUE when recommending physicians since many surgeons perform both and FUE has only recently evolved to a point where it can be on par with FUT. That said, we can certainly explore this possibility in the near future.

There is also no real universally accepted understanding when it comes to FUE which is why the ISHRS recently appointed an FUE committee of several FUE surgeons. Their primary goal is to collect and provide data and statistics that will eventually lead to a more universally accepted understanding of FUE, transection, yield, etc. I know some don't want to hear this but FUE is still evolving and until there's a more universal understanding amongst physicians, we simply provide the information and philosophy of each physician and let their results be the deciding factor. That said, I expect some changes as more information becomes more universally accepted.

Dr. Frank performs mostly FUT and some FUE procedures when appropriate for the patient.

Best wishes,

Bill

ok thanx Bill. well, im quite impressed with the majority of his FUT work. I just wasnt sure if a distinction was being made pertaining to FUE and FUT when a doctor is being recommended.

it appears that many doctors are performing both these days since both do have their advantages but some have just recently learned FUE and if it was a new doctor that was just performing FUE he would have to provide quite a few successful cases to be recommended which would only be fair I guess.

but yea maybe its something HTH might want to explore at some point. and ur right FUE is evolving.

Thanks to everyone who provided their input on the potential recommendation of Dr. John Frank. Given that the input we received regarding his potential inclusion has been supportive, we'd like to congratulate Dr. John Frank for being approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. To view his recommendation profile, click here.

Let's congratulate and welcome him to the community. We look forward and expect to see more great things from Dr. Frank in the coming months ahead.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Dr. Frank has a wealth of experience that allows him to tailor a perfect solution to your hairless challenge. I was impressed by his knowledge and his honesty. Definitely would recommend him to anyone that is looking into hair transplant!